Extending internet connection to shed

Posted 8th Jul
Hello,

I’m looking to get my internet connection to a shed approximately 50m away from hub.

The internet will be heavily used for downloading and streaming.

From the research I’ve done, I believe I need a Cat6 cable and to turn a old router into ‘bridge mode mode.

What type of Cat6 cable should I get? I’m unsure about the types. I saw one go the other day but many of the comments said to go for a different type.

Thanks for help
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
OP, bit excessive!.... can’t you just wait till she goes out?
19 Comments
Dont get a CCA(Copper Clad Aluminum) i can tell you that, bro-in law did the same, just over 100ft. At router he can get 75Mbps, in the summer house he gets 30-50Mbps, however he gets drops and high ping. He bought a cable for £15, if he spent £30-40 he wouldn't be considering digging up the cable hahaha
Does the shed have power?
HotUKDealsHobo08/07/2020 16:20

Dont get a CCA(Copper Clad Aluminum) i can tell you that, bro-in law did …Dont get a CCA(Copper Clad Aluminum) i can tell you that, bro-in law did the same, just over 100ft. At router he can get 75Mbps, in the summer house he gets 30-50Mbps, however he gets drops and high ping. He bought a cable for £15, if he spent £30-40 he wouldn't be considering digging up the cable hahaha

Thanks
ElliottWilson08/07/2020 16:57

Shed has power but on a separate circuit to the house

What do you mean a separate circuit? Does it come off of the main fuse board?
Adam_C-82b30.6486608/07/2020 17:01

What do you mean a separate circuit? Does it come off of the main fuse …What do you mean a separate circuit? Does it come off of the main fuse board?

It does
OP, bit excessive!.... can’t you just wait till she goes out?
Try a pair of powerline connectors first. A WiFi access point at the shed end is possible. I know you can get good speeds though up to 35m of mains cable as I've tried it.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 8th Jul
Hahahah promise it’s just so I can watch the football in peace
'Bridge mode' has lots of different definition depending on manufacturer but it's generally not what you want.

You don't need anything special on the end of the cable, you can plug standard networking hardware into it however you like, such as a network switch to connect more ethernet devices or an access point to connect wi-fi devices. Your old router may be able to act as either or both of these depending on it's software.

I can't help with cable types but one relevent fact is likely to be where the cable is being run. Through underground ducts? Exposed to the weather but fixed in place? Hanging between buildings?
ElliottWilson08/07/2020 18:05

Hahahah promise it’s just so I can watch the football in peace

Yeah suuure son, tell it to the judge.... you'll go blind!
I used to work in IT many years ago but have let my knowledge dwindle but isn't all the OP need to do is run a long enough solid copper Cat6 cable from his existing router to the shed?

He can then plug it into the relevant device (laptop/PC) or, if it is multiple devices, a hub or switch and then patch devices from there.

Something like this: cpc.farnell.com/pro…782

I'd also buy some conduit to cover the exposed portion of the cable - either plastic or steel depending on where the cable is run I.e above or below ground.
You don't need cat 6, cat 5e will be more then enough.
If your running it near any electrics get shielded cable.

Depending on what your after I'd probably just get a cheap access point or switch for the other end.
You could install a outdoor wifi access point at the house or a point to point link.
Phsycronix08/07/2020 22:20

50m @ £17.99: …50m @ £17.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-cable-Networking-outdoor-Direct-Ethernet/dp/B00I461X6M/ref=psdc_430464031_t3_B009U81EFI?th=175m @ £21.29Can be buried.

CCA cable.
HappyShopper08/07/2020 23:29

CCA cable.

Yes, that's fair comment. But it is cheap, which reflects that. I'd just run it through some pipe (or even hose) for extra protection. Not sure of OP's budget though or how "pro" they wish to go.
tp links.

amazon.co.uk/TL-…-21

Up to 300 m range over the household power circuit for efficient performance through walls or across floors
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants