Extending lamp power cable - best way please?

Found 14th Oct 2012
Hello all.
The power cable on my Philips Livingcolors Gen 2 lamp isn't long enough to reach where I want it to go.
The power supply and plug are both sealed so replacing the wire seems difficult

Is it feasible and safe to just splice in a piece of cable to lengthen it? If so, the best and neatest way please?

Pic in post #1.

Ta.
Community Updates
MiscLamp
30 Comments
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/deek72uk/lamplead.jpg
Cant you just get a normal extension lead?
Edited by: "greenmachine12" 14th Oct 2012
greenmachine12

Cant you just get a normal extension lead?

No, it's going quite high up on the wall and the lead isn't long enough to reach the floor and then along to the socket.
whatsThePoint

buy a socket and plug and make a lead that way

Yeah but I'd prefer to keep the cable slim like the existing one.
september_boy

Your text here

Nice idea but I'd still be left with the joining plug/socket half way up the wall. The existing cable is only about 5 feet long.
Extension is 6ft so will reach the floor where you can hide the join
greg_68

Extension is 6ft so will reach the floor where you can hide the join

Thanks greg but the lamp will be about 7 foot high, so won't quite reach. Whilst I appreciate everyone's input, I'd still like to know if it would be safe to just splice a piece into the existing cable?
If you can solder, just cut the wire in the middle of the cable length and extend it.

Purchase some heat shrink tubing to cover up bare wires and to tidy it up.

(Remember to slide heat shrink on before you join wires :D)
The round connectors you can buy from Maplin along with a length of two core flat cable, few minutes with a soldering iron and you can have a lead with the correct connectors on, leave the original connector down on the floor and have the "new" cable you've just made running up the wall and into the lamp. Much neater than splicing a bit of cable in, just a little more effort required...the connectors aren't that expensive either.
You'll have to put two joins in it.
simonturner69

If you can solder, just cut the wire in the middle of the cable length … If you can solder, just cut the wire in the middle of the cable length and extend it.Purchase some heat shrink tubing to cover up bare wires and to tidy it up.(Remember to slide heat shrink on before you join wires :D)

So I just get the same wire, slide on the heat shrink (I presume you just slide it over the joins (1 over each core and one over the lot), hair-dry it, and it acts like insulation tape?), solder the wires together and that's it? Sounds easy enough.
read0001

The round connectors you can buy from Maplin along with a length of two … The round connectors you can buy from Maplin along with a length of two core flat cable, few minutes with a soldering iron and you can have a lead with the correct connectors on, leave the original connector down on the floor and have the "new" cable you've just made running up the wall and into the lamp. Much neater than splicing a bit of cable in, just a little more effort required...the connectors aren't that expensive either.

Cheers mate but if you have to solder using your method, surely I may as well go with simonturner's method, right?
^^ yep, use the soldering iron on the heat shrink.
greg_68

^^ yep, use the soldering iron on the heat shrink.

How do you mean? Isn't it plastic and won't it stick?
^^ No, if you are gentle and just rub it over lightly
deek72

So I just get the same wire, slide on the heat shrink (I presume you just … So I just get the same wire, slide on the heat shrink (I presume you just slide it over the joins (1 over each core and one over the lot), hair-dry it, and it acts like insulation tape?), solder the wires together and that's it? Sounds easy enough.

You'll slide 3 bits of shrink, two for the wires (one over each wire) and then a slightly bigger (slide this over both the wires) heat shrink to cover both and keep them in-line.

Then you do your soldering, once that is done, slide the two over the separate wires, then the bigger one over the both.

Keep the soldering iron away from the shrink when soldering, it's easy to heat it up and bloody shrink it in the wrong place X)
Down to personal choice I guess, I'm just not a fan of splicing cables unless there is no other choice......but then I guess I don't usually work on voltages less than 415V!!

Both methods will work, simonturners will probably be quicker but wouldn't be the way I'd do it (no offence!!)....like I said personal choice
Great. Sound like it's JUST within my range of DIY skills.

Thanks for your help everyone
Also eBay is the best place for heat shrink, you can get assorted packs so you can test the sizes, saves buying a specific size and realising you should have gone bigger/smaller.
Yeah, it is down to personal choice.

However, seeing as the wire being cut is DC, I wouldn't worry too much.
simonturner69

Also eBay is the best place for heat shrink, you can get assorted packs … Also eBay is the best place for heat shrink, you can get assorted packs so you can test the sizes, saves buying a specific size and realising you should have gone bigger/smaller.

Just ordered the heat shrink

Not sure about the cable though? Is it standard?
22AWG should be fine, single core, easier to solder (No frayed wires).

Easier still if you have a redundant DC power supply, similar to yours.

Everyone has one of them knocking around X)

Edit: That should have read solid single core.

Edited by: "JmeH" 14th Oct 2012
simonturner69

22AWG should be fine, single core, easier to solder (No frayed … 22AWG should be fine, single core, easier to solder (No frayed wires).Easier still if you have a redundant DC power supply, similar to yours.Everyone has one of them knocking around X)

Ahh, good thinking batman! I think I may have some in my cable bag in the loft, alongside all my old scart leads and audio cables
simonturner69

22AWG should be fine, single core, easier to solder (No frayed … 22AWG should be fine, single core, easier to solder (No frayed wires).Easier still if you have a redundant DC power supply, similar to yours.Everyone has one of them knocking around X)Edit: That should have read solid single core.

Soz to be a pain simon but like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-1-0-6mm-22-AWG-Solid-Core-Equipment-Wire-11-Colours-or-5m-Black-5mRed-/230775068955?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item35bb44191b

So 2 lots of that would give me 10 metres in length when twinned? That would give me up to 5 metres extra length per lamp (I'm getting another one)

Extending the cable will affect (reduce) the output amperage. Personally wouldn't recommend doing but can't really offer an alternative suggestion.

Should you wish to explore further, the plug adaptor can usually be opened by undoing a couple of screws normally under the lablel.
mumbojumbo

If it's a standard 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel connector maybe one of … If it's a standard 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel connector maybe one of these:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221132030338?

Thanks for that. Even though I've already ordered the heat shrink It's worth a try for £4. If it works it'll save me a load of messing about.
Yeah, 20M, down to 10M twinned and then if you're doing two lamps you will be able to extend them by 5M each.

That wire looks fine to me, 0.6 is rated to 1,000V @ 1.8A, yours seems to pull a max of 0.83A

What I do, is buy a few sizes at a time, that way you're not waiting around for the post should you buy the wrong size, also you can get it all posted under one charge, without having to pay for postage a second time.

That would be up to you though, still.. the best option would be to find some old power packs.
ʞǝǝp lnɟǝɹɐƆ ǝq
mumbojumbo

Have a look at the internal diameter size first. 2.1mm is more common, … Have a look at the internal diameter size first. 2.1mm is more common, but there's also 2.5mm:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390481987758?

Which bit is the 2.1/2.5 diameter? I looked at the explanation on your first link and it just confused me tbh
Not that it matters really, I already ordered it. They do free returns though if it's wrong so no big deal, I'll just try it first.

simonturner69

Yeah, 20M, down to 10M twinned and then if you're doing two lamps you … Yeah, 20M, down to 10M twinned and then if you're doing two lamps you will be able to extend them by 5M each.That wire looks fine to me, 0.6 is rated to 1,000V @ 1.8A, yours seems to pull a max of 0.83AWhat I do, is buy a few sizes at a time, that way you're not waiting around for the post should you buy the wrong size, also you can get it all posted under one charge, without having to pay for postage a second time.That would be up to you though, still.. the best option would be to find some old power packs.

Thanks again Simon. I'm gonna try the extension first before I buy the wire. If it doesn't work then I'll go back to your method

Thanks again everyone (yeah, even you dga), I've got enough to be going at for now, so go and get yourselves some supper or something
Walk in the park Deek, what's the worst that could happen?

http://i.imgur.com/Vd2YAl.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions