extending sat/virgin cable downstairs? virgin was £99 - is there a cheaper / neater diy option?

Found 26th Dec 2017
i can get homeplugs for the ethernet

but i dont how to deal with the main cables for the sat / virgin reception - at the moment its set upstairs and i want to reroute it downstairs as that where the main tv will be based.

what options do i have?
thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

You can buy 10m of the cable used for about £10 that can go straight into the virgin box or into a splitter for broadband too.

Original Poster

The thjng is would
I need to drill to take it downstairs etc trying to work best options which look neat .

I think sky and virgin have same cable

wakkaday1 h, 24 m ago

The thjng is wouldI need to drill to take it downstairs etc trying to work …The thjng is wouldI need to drill to take it downstairs etc trying to work best options which look neat . I think sky and virgin have same cable

It's just RF cable with a couple of f-type connectors. You might get away with running it through your old aerial cables.

Original Poster

It’s new build extension so nothing downstairs will have to work a way out of the window or run under carpet etc

wakkaday10 m ago

It’s new build extension so nothing downstairs will have to work a way out …It’s new build extension so nothing downstairs will have to work a way out of the window or run under carpet etc

Best option is to grab the connection from the external box on the ground floor and drill a hole into the room you want. Should only cost about £50 for a tradesman and it's the cleaness option in my opinion. I got quoted £50 per additional box when they installed my virgin setup so I'm not sure why they quoted you £99.

Original Poster

Ah you mean the box on the wall outside right ... what would
Be good if I could have access to cable in both rooms (upstairs and downstairs ) I would just grab a free to air virgin box . I’m
Guessing.the same principal would be for sky .

wakkaday11 m ago

Ah you mean the box on the wall outside right ... what wouldBe good if I …Ah you mean the box on the wall outside right ... what wouldBe good if I could have access to cable in both rooms (upstairs and downstairs ) I would just grab a free to air virgin box . I’mGuessing.the same principal would be for sky .

I don't think there are free to air boxes for either service now. You can buy an additional box off virgin and they should install it for you as part of your negotiations. Sky Q doesn't need an additional set of cables as the mini boxes are wireless.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions