Extending Wi Fi into garden

Posted 1st Jun 2020
Hi, Advice needed please. I currently have Virgin Media cable broadband which is very good. .Unfortunately the signal doesn't quite reach my rear garden. All I want to do is use my phone outside and connect to my home Wi Fi rather than using my Vodafone data. Is a wi fi extender the answer, if so which one?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Yes also look at mesh Wi-fi and you could possibly move the router nearer the back of house if that helps
I did this!

I've got my main router in the middle of the house, then in the back bedroom I've got one of these amazon.co.uk/TP-…GJS (I had it spare) setup in bridge mode. Works like a dream
Edited by: "Tjl694" 1st Jun
Defintely go for a mesh wi-fi system rather than an extender. I bought a Tenda MW3 set so I could get wi-fi in my (small) garden and it worked a treat.
Tjl69401/06/2020 14:37

I did this!I've got my main router in the middle of the house, then in the …I did this!I've got my main router in the middle of the house, then in the back bedroom I've got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Supports/dp/B001FWYGJS (I had it spare) setup in bridge mode. Works like a dream

Does this replace the WIFI signal that the SuperHub gives out then? (and is it connected to the SuperHub by an ethernet cable?)
WackoJackoUK01/06/2020 16:52

Does this replace the WIFI signal that the SuperHub gives out then? (and …Does this replace the WIFI signal that the SuperHub gives out then? (and is it connected to the SuperHub by an ethernet cable?)

How I've got it set up, it doesn't. It connects to my main router via WiFi, then it creates a separate WiFi network.

But you could also set it up as you've described
Tjl69401/06/2020 16:59

How I've got it set up, it doesn't. It connects to my main router via …How I've got it set up, it doesn't. It connects to my main router via WiFi, then it creates a separate WiFi network.But you could also set it up as you've described

Isn't that behaving like a standard £15-£30 extender that way?
I re-sited my router to the top of kitchen units near the window that overlooks the garden. Now it covers garden and whole of house (3 bed semi and loft) from one point.
A mesh kit is just a set of range extenders that have the ability to route data through each other dynamically instead of being connected one to the next.

For your use it's not likely to make much difference whether your range extenders support a mesh network as you're trying to cover a distance rather than a volume of space like a multi-story house.

Ideally you want to run an outdoor rated Ethernet cable down the garden and stick an access point on the end as that'll give you the best connection but getting a cable from the router to outside the house can sometimes be tricky.
I am sure if you wait long enough we will have weeks of endless rain, so you can come indoors.
Or get yourself a mi-fi with a cheapo data only SIM and then you can use it in anybodies garden.
Webarno01/06/2020 17:26

Isn't that behaving like a standard £15-£30 extender that way?

Yep! Like I said in my original comment, it was just something I had lying around, but it's also £15 on amazon
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. Plenty of Food for thought.
Post a comment
@
    Text