Expired

Extension cable for Sky fibre optic hub

Found 6th Feb 2014
So I currently have my netgear router up the stairs and use a 10m extension cable from the master socket, no problems with the speed.

Due to upgrade to fibre optic next week with Sky and will be using their hub. Im wondering, if I want to place the hub up stairs with an extension cable, could I use the regular extension cable, or would I require one with greater bandwidth suited to fibre optic?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskSky
15 Comments
Your current setup will work just the same with sky fibre, although if it was me I would keep the hub in the master socket and invest in a long enough (10m) Ethernet lead from the router to your pc or games consoleyou can pick up long ones on ebuyer and amazon cheap, this will ensure as good of a connection as possible and eliminate any future niggles that using an extension can bring, we've got sky fibreand its excellent!
wild84

Your current setup will work just the same with sky fibre, although if it … Your current setup will work just the same with sky fibre, although if it was me I would keep the hub in the master socket and invest in a long enough (10m) Ethernet lead from the router to your pc or games consoleyou can pick up long ones on ebuyer and amazon cheap, this will ensure as good of a connection as possible and eliminate any future niggles that using an extension can bring, we've got sky fibreand its excellent!

Single ethernet up the stairs isn't an option unfortunately, we have 4 devices up stairs

Did you get top speed upon fibre opric activation or did they gradually increase yours ?
Fair enough on the ethernet. We got maximum.speed straight away but we are no more than 20 metres from the cab, just make sure when your internet is active to leave the router on and dont restart it for 14 days as its in that time they can change your connection to compensate for reliability. My previous internet providers since 1999 have been freeserve, wanadoo, orange, virgin fibre, talk talk,ee and now sky so far sky have been the best, nice little router too which does a good job,we've got the newest black one which is self install.
jaybizzle

Single ethernet up the stairs isn't an option unfortunately, we have 4 … Single ethernet up the stairs isn't an option unfortunately, we have 4 devices up stairs :(Did you get top speed upon fibre opric activation or did they gradually increase yours ?

Yes it is, use a switch, that's what they're made for
wild84

Fair enough on the ethernet. We got maximum.speed straight away but we … Fair enough on the ethernet. We got maximum.speed straight away but we are no more than 20 metres from the cab, just make sure when your internet is active to leave the router on and dont restart it for 14 days as its in that time they can change your connection to compensate for reliability. My previous internet providers since 1999 have been freeserve, wanadoo, orange, virgin fibre, talk talk,ee and now sky so far sky have been the best, nice little router too which does a good job,we've got the newest black one which is self install.

Thanks for the advice/info
muzzzzzzzzzy

Yes it is, use a switch, that's what they're made for

Id have too many cables in the hall.
jaybizzle

Fair enough, cables can get annoying
Id have the modem router by the master socket and use a Ethernet cable to a switch upstairs if you tacked it to the skirting board neat and then put the switch on the wall somewhere that's the best option. Having a crap extension to take the service upstairs is only going to affect the broadband speeds. If you've got an engineer visit (not cabinet only and they just tell you to plug in the modem router on the day) then I'd kindly ask the engineer to do a data extension up the stairs. If it's not a twisted DSL cable you'll loose a lot of signal see.
101unknown

Id have the modem router by the master socket and use a Ethernet cable to … Id have the modem router by the master socket and use a Ethernet cable to a switch upstairs if you tacked it to the skirting board neat and then put the switch on the wall somewhere that's the best option. Having a crap extension to take the service upstairs is only going to affect the broadband speeds. If you've got an engineer visit (not cabinet only and they just tell you to plug in the modem router on the day) then I'd kindly ask the engineer to do a data extension up the stairs. If it's not a twisted DSL cable you'll loose a lot of signal see.

No engineer, self install.

I could possibly do ethernet, but wondering what to use to attach the cable to skirting boards?
Edited by: "jaybizzle" 6th Feb 2014
jaybizzle

Suggest you look up a switch..
Sambat

Suggest you look up a switch..

I have. I would need the switch in one room up stairs, then an additional 2 ethernet cables running out said room to the other two upstairs rooms.
I switched to Sky Fibre three weeks ago, I am on the unlimited pro and get the full 75Mbps.

My black sky hub is connected to the master socket to get the best speed. I then ran a single CAT6 Ethernet cable from the sky hub downstairs to my ASUS wireless NT56U router which is upstairs. The wireless router handles both my wireless and cable connections to the internet.

The main advantage is the fact I can use my own router which has 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and dual band wireless to ensure all my devices are getting the maximum connection speed possible. You can easily achieve 12MB/s + over 5ghz wireless which more than enough for streaming HD files or downloading at maximum speed. This of course depends on whether your wireless device is dual band.

The Sky Hub has terrible wireless range, probably why they gave free boosters to everyone.
To answer your question, you can use the same 10m telephone cable (assuming it is high quality) from your master socket to the Sky Hub, there isn't a special one for fibre. Be prepared for your connection speed to sync lower than the speed quoted to you by sky.

Edited by: "ChrisKaru" 6th Feb 2014
Last question.

Would 20m of ethernet cause any drop in quality compared to a 10m one ?
Edited by: "jaybizzle" 7th Feb 2014
jaybizzle

Last question.Would 20m of ethernet cause any drop in quality compared to … Last question.Would 20m of ethernet cause any drop in quality compared to a 10m one ?

No it wouldn't, the quality drop is negligible.

Edited by: "ChrisKaru" 8th Feb 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants