Extension cable needed (but awkward position to plug it in)

Found 27th Dec 2015
Hi,

I'm in need of a four gang plug extension (with a reasonably long cable) to plug into one of these sockets. I'm currently using one but the setup as you can see is not ideal and might possibly be a fire risk because of the bent cable.

I would saw the shelf off or drill into it to make holes for the cables but I'm concerned about asbestos as the house was built in the 1950s.

http://s18.postimg.org/feay08iu1/IMG_20151227_141910.jpg
Community Updates
28 Comments
Original Poster
http://s18.postimg.org/feay08iu1/IMG_20151227_141910.jpg
Original Poster
Would it be unsafe to just put a cube plug on it and then just plug the extension lead into the top of it?
definition

Would it be unsafe to just put a cube plug on it and then just plug the … Would it be unsafe to just put a cube plug on it and then just plug the extension lead into the top of it?

I don't think. As long as it's a nice tight fit and isn't loose. And the extension you use has a circuit protection on it.
It'll be safer than having that plugs cable bent like that anyway
http://www.connevans.co.uk/image/250x250/images/mx429817.gif
Original Poster
rev6

Yeah I was thinking about that, it's just I dunno, I guess it'll be okay.

Speaking of which, any recommendations on a good four gang extension with a fairly long lead. The one I'm using is about 4 foot too short.
Original Poster
krisward7955

I don't think. As long as it's a nice tight fit and isn't loose. And the … I don't think. As long as it's a nice tight fit and isn't loose. And the extension you use has a circuit protection on it.

Thanks. But yeah, I can just imagine my current set up coming loose and the current flowing through the fire surround. Also what idiot puts sockets on the wall like that?
Edited by: "definition" 27th Dec 2015
What's under The socket? Is it a shelf?
Can you not reinstall the socket upside down?
thecoolguy

ǝƃuɐɹʇs ǝq plnoʍ ʇɐɥ┴
Original Poster
Yeah it's a shelf. Part of the fire surround.
Unscrew the socket face plate and turn it upside down. Simples.
Original Poster
dereklogan7

Unscrew the socket face plate and turn it upside down. Simples.

ultimatehandyman.co.uk/for…tml
Original Poster
This one may be good for the plug.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H%2BjfP0U0L.jpg
Original Poster
Also I've only got one item that's difficult to reach, couldn't I just extend the lead on that item somehow and plug it into my 2 metre 6 gang plug unit?

No idea what to search for. a socket to a lead to a plug or something. Could just use another extension cable with lots of plugs on it but is that a bad idea? I suppose it'll be all right as long as I don't plug anything else into the extra sockets.

Ah I see, the longer the lead, the thicker the cable needed otherwise it's a fire risk.

Original Poster
I've searched around and I think I'm gonna go for this 4 gang extension lead.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…new

would prefer a 6 gang but I'll do a similar thing with the second socket.
thecoolguy

This is the obvious fix... Why look to spend money on something that you don't need?
definition

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/can-you-fit-a-double-socket-upside-down-t71405.html

The extension lead is going to be permantly plugged in, there won't be a problem.
definition

Would it be unsafe to just put a cube plug on it and then just plug the … Would it be unsafe to just put a cube plug on it and then just plug the extension lead into the top of it?

it will be fine to do this. you could get an electrician or someone who knows about electric to move the socket higher. easy enough to do.
Original Poster
mutley1

it will be fine to do this. you could get an electrician or someone who … it will be fine to do this. you could get an electrician or someone who knows about electric to move the socket higher. easy enough to do.

Thanks. To be honest I'm beginning to wonder whether my fears about asbestos are a bit overblown. But the fire surround is on the list of things here that contain asbestos and whilst, the bit underneath the plug is only wood with lots of layers of paint (as far as I can tell), I've read online that long ago when treateding areas with asbestos, the surrounding bits can get covered in it so taking a drill or a saw to this makes me slightly fearful.

definition

Thanks. To be honest I'm beginning to wonder whether my fears about … Thanks. To be honest I'm beginning to wonder whether my fears about asbestos are a bit overblown. But the fire surround is on the list of things here that contain asbestos and whilst, the bit underneath the plug is only wood with lots of layers of paint (as far as I can tell), I've read online that long ago when treateding areas with asbestos, the surrounding bits can get covered in it so taking a drill or a saw to this makes me slightly fearful.

i would avoid any drilling around asbestos as disturbed asbestos is very dangerous. they are fine if they are left alone. you could get a sparky to move the socket for about £100 if not less or you can use your extension cube without any problem.
rev6

this extension cube will be fine and is pretty cheap to buy. my mum and dad uses this all the time at home and have never had a problem.
Edited by: "mutley1" 27th Dec 2015
Original Poster
mutley1

this extension cube will be fine and is pretty cheap to buy.

Thanks. I've gone for this one as it has surge protection and is only four quid.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Gh%2BXSTnAL._SY355_.jpg
definition

Thanks. I've gone for this one as it has surge protection and is only … Thanks. I've gone for this one as it has surge protection and is only four quid.

will be fine. probably a bit OTT. surge protection is only needed for appliances that may get wet like the lawn mower. other surges should be protected by the consumer unit fuse tripping if you have a modern consumer unit.
Banned
make a spur double socket. Yours is surface mounted so its dead easy & apart from 2 drill holes to secure the extra double socket its fine
Can you not simply raise the socket up a few inches ?
Bradleigh

Can you not simply raise the socket up a few inches ?

yes he can, but he would need to understand electrics.
definition

Ah I see, the longer the lead, the thicker the cable needed otherwise … Ah I see, the longer the lead, the thicker the cable needed otherwise it's a fire risk.

Hi definition,

This isn't correct. The fire risk in using a cable comes from the amount of current it is being asked to carry. Any cable that is carrying current will heat up, but if the cable is thick enough for the load (the amount of current being taken by the appliances connected to the cable) then this heating is sufficiently small to not be a problem. A longer cable has more surface area to dissipate any heat generated so will heat up the same as a short cable. However...... If you have an extension reel and you say stick an electric heater on it, this is a fairly large load. When the cable is unreeled fully the cable will lose any heat created in the cable because of it's large surface area, but if you leave the cable reeled up this heat has nowhere to go and the cables near the middle will get hotter than they should (there are other reasons for this heating, magnetic induction being the main one). So you will often find cable reels have thermal overloads built in for this very reason.

Where heating does become a problem is if the load is high and the cable is thin. If for instance I connected a fire to a cable like the one used on pendant light fittings (the ones that hang down) then the cable would quickly overheat and become dangerous, irrespective of it's length. So the trick is to make sure that the cable is thick enough for the load that you think it will be taking. You also mentioned using one socket of a four way extension and worries about overloading it. All extension cables will be fitted with a fuse in the plug, if you put too much load on by plugging too many things in the fuse will blow before the cable has a chance to overheat (except in the case of a rolled up reel as mentioned above ) so you should be able to plug more than one thing into your extension safely.

Hope this helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants