Extension Lead Through Wall??

Found 14th May 2016
Basically just want to know if this is safe. There is already a hole in the wall which an aerial runs through. Would it be safe to take the plug off a four socket extension feed it through the wall and rewire plug on the other side and plug it in ?
I won't be doing this, that would definitely be a no no. My other half lol. Just wanted to check if it was safe?

25 Comments

Perfectly safe as long as the plug is reattached correctly.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

Thank you!

Banned

stuarthanley

Apart from the fact it doesnt make sense

YouDontWantToKnow

Apart from the fact it doesnt make sense

Why?

Banned

stuarthanley

Why?

Would it be safe to take the plug off a four socket extension feed it … Would it be safe to take the plug off a four socket extension feed it through the wall and rewire plug on the other side

Cos it should be rewiring on the same side & plugging it in. I am sure you are correct but it still doesn't read right. No offence.

So, does your other half know you asked the general public, over trusting they know what they're doing?

YouDontWantToKnow

Cos it should be rewiring on the same side & plugging it in. I am sure … Cos it should be rewiring on the same side & plugging it in. I am sure you are correct but it still doesn't read right. No offence.

I dunno. The OP made sense to me. Take plug off, push wire through hole, put plug back on. Oh well.

safe as long as indoors,

Yep, we have our TV in the bedroom running through a power board extension lead in the lounge with our Ethernet cable. It is just a hole & completely safe lol

So, let me guess, you live in a semi and your neighbours are away at the moment

Banned

MrFizzy

So, let me guess, you live in a semi and your neighbours are away at the … So, let me guess, you live in a semi and your neighbours are away at the moment

pmsl

very funny. post of the day

Original Poster

stuarthanley

Ahh crap!!! I forgot the main socket is only a single. We need 2 sockets on one side of the wall and 3 on the other... Is it safe plugging two extension leads together that are the same?

Thanks again

missdee23

Ahh crap!!! I forgot the main socket is only a single. We need 2 sockets … Ahh crap!!! I forgot the main socket is only a single. We need 2 sockets on one side of the wall and 3 on the other... Is it safe plugging two extension leads together that are the same?Thanks again

Do you mean you want to plug an extension lead into an extension lead? Not a good idea.

missdee23

Ahh crap!!! I forgot the main socket is only a single. We need 2 sockets … Ahh crap!!! I forgot the main socket is only a single. We need 2 sockets on one side of the wall and 3 on the other... Is it safe plugging two extension leads together that are the same?Thanks again

I cant see why not as long as you dont overload and they are protected with the correct fuses

Original Poster

123thisisme

Do you mean you want to plug an extension lead into an extension lead? … Do you mean you want to plug an extension lead into an extension lead? Not a good idea.

Yes. The problem is I thought I had a double socket, it's a single. I need at least two sockets on one side of the wall then at least 3 on the other side
Edited by: "missdee23" 16th May 2016

missdee23

You need one of these, installed a few myself, they work great: screwfix.com/p/c…849

OP needs to get a spark in - this single socket could just be on a spare (fused or not) and then is looking to put an extension on it.

If they are competent - they could undo the screws and look for two main cables (with 3 wires in each cable) going to the sockent - if there are it means the socket is on the ring main - and could easily be extended to being a double socket. If there is only one cable then it is a Spur for which it is only really recommended to be running a single appliance on.

Original Poster

Or something like this amazon.co.uk/Mas…lug
With an extension plugged into it. Would that be safe?? If not i'll take the advice and get a sparky

missdee23

Or something like this … Or something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-Individually-Switched-Adaptor-Sockets/dp/B001W2D21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463409743&sr=8-1&keywords=3+way+plugWith an extension plugged into it. Would that be safe?? If not i'll take the advice and get a sparky

Big fat no. Get a sparky to have a look, as said above a single socket could just be a spur, if you overload it then it is a potential fire hazard.

Banned

Oh look

I got marked down -6 & now it seems my concerns about what the op was asking was not as it seems was correct.

You have to love this site

Original Poster

123thisisme

Big fat no. Get a sparky to have a look, as said above a single socket … Big fat no. Get a sparky to have a look, as said above a single socket could just be a spur, if you overload it then it is a potential fire hazard.

All sorted. Sparky is coming out and said it will only be £15, at least we know its safe to use then

After this we will put an extension through the hole in the wall. All sorted

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

Oh lookI got marked down -6 & now it seems my concerns about what the op … Oh lookI got marked down -6 & now it seems my concerns about what the op was asking was not as it seems was correct.You have to love this site

No, Stuarthanley answered my question correctly. I thought we had a double socket, it was only a single. My mistake

Banned

missdee23

After this we will put an extension through the hole in the wall. All … After this we will put an extension through the hole in the wall. All sorted

That very much depends on what you are running on it.

I have seen a fire because of people running a spur into an outbuilding & running a high wattage tumble dryer & washing machine of it.

13 cameras

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

That very much depends on what you are running on it.I have seen a fire … That very much depends on what you are running on it.I have seen a fire because of people running a spur into an outbuilding & running a high wattage tumble dryer & washing machine of it.

It isn't a spur
Post a comment
@
    Text