Groups

external CCTV Cameras...... type and methods?????

Banned

Been looking to buy a couple (but at least one) cctv cameras to use externally at home and be able to monitor online and also record any movement.

Had thought IP cameras were the best way to go - even if they are more expensive as they seem to allow much higher resolutions and are obviously not dependant of a PC. With the building work going on at home, I have included 2 Cat5 connections externally, which I figured I'd be able to use POE, so no further wires required. I've now found out I can use the Cat5 cable and "Baluns" to both send the signal and power the camera. I'd obviously then need to use a DVR card to capture and distribute.

Anyone have any experience of this or tips and pointers.

No trolling please.

13 Comments

Banned

due consideration for position must be given , giving the best overall coverage, but not leaving too many blind spots, plus a word of caution have seen many cctv cameras being knocked out of position by crims, so a suitable strong fixing point to prevent the cctc camera being moved out of position

and are you going for the type of cctv which also has the facility to give best quality night time recordings.. or have you got PIRs?

oh one last thing from an evidential point some cctv pictures can be rubbish due the buyer getting the cheap end of the market and stills for evidential purpose have been more than useless, best quality pictures so you might have to consider what sort of resolution the camera picture is going to be .. so we can find out which from here have nicked your motors:w00t:

Original Poster Banned

Carley;6765784

one question... why, are they really that effective as a deterrent?have … one question... why, are they really that effective as a deterrent?have you had any previous problems with theft or vandalism?

I wouldn't say its been a massive problem, but I have had my cars broken into whilst sitting on the drive on 2 occasions.

Is it a deterrant? I'd say yes it was. It also tells me when someone triggers the camera via email, so I know when someone is lurking either when Im away (and can contact someone to intercept) or get up and beat the hell out of anyone messing with my 2 new cars.

Original Poster Banned

dog_cop;6765804

due consideration for position must be given , giving the best overall … due consideration for position must be given , giving the best overall coverage, but not leaving too many blind spots, plus a word of caution have seen many cctv cameras being knocked out of position by crims, so a suitable strong fixing point to prevent the cctc camera being moved out of position and are you going for the type of cctv which also has the facility to give best quality night time recordings.. or have you got PIRs?oh one last thing from an evidential point some cctv pictures can be rubbish due the buyer getting the cheap end of the market and stills for evidential purpose have been more than useless, best quality pictures so you might have to consider what sort of resolution the camera picture is going to be .. so we can find out which from here have nicked your motors

Yeh, I have a good position to put it - though I have thought about buying a second for the front and one for the back garden.

I appreciate the difference in quality that they have. I know not to buy anything lower than 540TVL. That said, I've been looking at the 2 Megapixel IP cameras. I dont understand why those dome cameras are so dear! The quality seems naff!

Ive had loads of price lists sent over from HK and China via Alibaba. Its even more confusing now than ever! Oh..... and some of them are having a good laugh with shipping costs! (Just had one wanting $50US just for postage!!!)

Also.... not sure if using Baluns and Cat5 cable with BNC connectors and DVR will actually get as good signal as it would with coaxal?

Banned

a second one might be the way to go.

as far as the right and wrong, there are a couple of companies who will do you a survey and advise on the best system, how about getting a quote and then if they are NACOS Gold they would know what they are on about, then buy your own gear and fit yourself

I have one of these which is mounted in my kitchen looking out over the garden.

pyramid.com/Pro…341

It is hooked up to my QNAP NAS, can access it from anywhere and the NAS also does full recording.

hotukdeals.com/ite…519 :thumbsup:

just moved house so it is no longer required.
    I also have 2 IR camera's with 10m power/bnc extension cables available also.
    will post more details of these in the thread

Are there any laws with regards to recording people without there knowledge? i.e. do you have to put a sign up saying cameras are present? Do the police actually review personal footage as evidence?

TBH , I think having this sort of camera [ip] is pointless without having a decent means of being able to capture . No good being at work being able to see your property being damaged if it's not recording and how reliable is running a PC to capture ? First off , I would get a decent mains powered DVR and a couple of good cameras . Sony CCD with good res . Check out the prices on the bay to give an idea of cost .
    I have a mobile DVR running from a 12v source with 4 cameras , records directly to a 250GB HDD . Most of my stuff , infrared LED's , cameras were bought from the bay ,being shipped from China . I aint had any trouble with it ............yet .
    I found a site on the net not so long ago selling DVR's starting at £80 , which I didn't seem bad .

Banned

Ciderbob;6766157

Are there any laws with regards to recording people without there … Are there any laws with regards to recording people without there knowledge? i.e. do you have to put a sign up saying cameras are present? Do the police actually review personal footage as evidence?

yes that's why I suggested best quality footage :thumbsup:

dog_cop;6766245

[/B]yes that's why I suggested best quality footage :thumbsup:

Fair enough :thumbsup:

Banned

Ciderbob;6766352

Fair enough :thumbsup:

as for the recording law, in the back of my mind something tells me you cant point your cctv into someone else property :thinking:

Original Poster Banned

dog_cop;6766363

as for the recording law, in the back of my mind something tells me you … as for the recording law, in the back of my mind something tells me you cant point your cctv into someone else property :thinking:

Certainly one law that exisits...is if you have recorded someones image, they are entitled to see the footage. In practice...... pffffttttt.

homerian;6765972

just moved house so it is no longer required.I also have 2 IR camera's … just moved house so it is no longer required.I also have 2 IR camera's with 10m power/bnc extension cables available also.will post more details of these in the thread

May well be interested matey. Can / did you use it online? Is it client based, so it can be set to send emails when its triggered and zone detection created? Would definately be interested in the cameras..... but will obviously use the official thread.

Banned

guv;6766705

Certainly one law that exisits...is if you have recorded someones image, … Certainly one law that exisits...is if you have recorded someones image, they are entitled to see the footage. In practice...... pffffttttt.May well be interested matey. Can / did you use it online? Is it client based, so it can be set to send emails when its triggered and zone detection created? Would definately be interested in the cameras..... but will obviously use the official thread.

yeah when they are down the station on interview being grilled, then they can see it :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any tips on finding a cheap new kitchen plus bathroom with fitting?34
      2. Amazon prime subscribe & save410
      3. Looking for a mobile phone with a £300 budget11
      4. Decent Mp3 Player?44

See more discussions