External drive advice for Sims on laptop with small ssd

Posted 29th Jan
Quick query.
Daughter has a Dell Inspiron with no optical drive and a 256gb SSD drive.
She has downloaded SIMS 4 which takes up a load of space on the SSD.

What are her options - can this be transferred to, and played off, an external hard drive or is there another cheapish option to free up the space on the laptops SSD?

Cheers for advice
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
You'd have to clone the old SSD onto a bigger SSD and swap them out, does the laptop have usb 3?
Yep, it has USB3. Dell Inspiron 5378 13.3".

Cracking little laptop but small SSD capacity.
Was aware of upgrading the SSD but sounds a bit complicated and was wondering about an external solution.
Copperface29/01/2020 15:53

Yep, it has USB3. Dell Inspiron 5378 13.3".Cracking little laptop but …Yep, it has USB3. Dell Inspiron 5378 13.3".Cracking little laptop but small SSD capacity. Was aware of upgrading the SSD but sounds a bit complicated and was wondering about an external solution.

I'd still do what esar suggested. It's very easy to do with good software. I use Acronis to clone and backup drives, but there are other good programs out there.

Yep, it has USB3. Dell Inspiron 5378 13.3".Cracking little laptop but …Yep, it has USB3. Dell Inspiron 5378 13.3".Cracking little laptop but small SSD capacity. Was aware of upgrading the SSD but sounds a bit complicated and was wondering about an external solution.

Should be NP to run it off an external drive, I would opt for a fast SSD based drive though such as a Samsung Portable SSD T5 500GB £86 - amazon.co.uk/Sam…21/

Alternatively buy a little M.2 USB enclosure and just pop in your own drive which will work out a bit cheaper.
Enclousre £12 - amazon.co.uk/Sab…JV/
500GB M.2 Drive £50 - amazon.co.uk/Wes…TY/
Total - £62
Edited by: "Gormond" 29th Jan
Thanks to both.
Think I'll go with the external M2 and enclosure as reports state that getting into the back of this one is a bit difficult.
As long as I know it can be played off an external drive that solves the problem.

Cheers

External not ideal as it limits portability and you can guarantee there will be drops / knocks / accidents. Larger internal SSD likely the way to go if you're comfortable with the upgrade / swapout concept, with benefit of the existing SSD becomes an external backup drive.
AndyRoyd29/01/2020 16:31

External not ideal as it limits portability and you can guarantee there …External not ideal as it limits portability and you can guarantee there will be drops / knocks / accidents. Larger internal SSD likely the way to go if you're comfortable with the upgrade / swapout concept, with benefit of the existing SSD becomes an external backup drive.

Suggestion for optional route of larger internal SSD:
2) purchase larger SSD and a suitable external USB3 drive enclosure for the existing internal SSD (random £6.48 enclosure example with comfort of fulfilled Amazon amazon.co.uk/dp/…LK/ )
3) remove existing SSD and fit to external enclosure.
4) fit new larger SSD to lappy.
5) clone the original SSD to new SSD via Acronis, Macrium Reflect Free, or other USB boot tool.
Surprisingly even though Acronis is a commercial product, the bootable version is provided as a free-to-use and free-to-download option (example 650GB download at dl.acronis.com/s/A…iso ).
1) Preparation: probably best to use free USB boot maker tool Rufus to make a bootable tool from an available 4GB+ USB stick, and check it successfully boots into whatever clone tool you chose. Do this prior to any SSD swap. Freebie simple Rufus portable app at rufus.ie/
AndyRoyd29/01/2020 16:31

External not ideal as it limits portability and you can guarantee there …External not ideal as it limits portability and you can guarantee there will be drops / knocks / accidents. Larger internal SSD likely the way to go if you're comfortable with the upgrade / swapout concept, with benefit of the existing SSD becomes an external backup drive.

I understand that but never done a swap before and not even sure what type of SSD I'd be looking at so safer option for me is the external option.
Copperface29/01/2020 16:34

I understand that but never done a swap before and not even sure what type …I understand that but never done a swap before and not even sure what type of SSD I'd be looking at so safer option for me is the external option.

Your honesty is repected, although with minimal guidance you may be surprised how straightforward it would be. The benefits are worthy of consideration, at your leisure. You could even go partway there by purchasing an SSD + external enclosure now to use as you intend (purely external), then swap the same internal / external SSDs at a later date.
How much space in total is the Sims 4 taking up at the moment on your SSD?
Haircut_10029/01/2020 16:44

How much space in total is the Sims 4 taking up at the moment on your SSD?

I believe it's around 20gb. Not really had a good look yet as daughter has the laptop at Uni. She has messaged me asking how to get round it.
Copperface29/01/2020 17:04

I believe it's around 20gb. Not really had a good look yet as daughter has …I believe it's around 20gb. Not really had a good look yet as daughter has the laptop at Uni. She has messaged me asking how to get round it.

Could you not just run it from say a 64Gb USB stick?
reddit.com/r/o…_i/

£7.99 for a Sandisk 3.0 USB stick at Amazon.
amazon.co.uk/San…8-3
Not sure. That's why I was asking. If that works then will just get a decent external SSD to plug in.
There's no limitations in installing and running programs off drives that are connected through USB instead of SATA/PCI-E.

For a more demanding app like a game there may be some performance consequences though, such as slower loading times.

I'd suggest sticking to faster storage like a hard drive and avoiding cheap USB sticks.
EndlessWaves29/01/2020 17:52

There's no limitations in installing and running programs off drives that …There's no limitations in installing and running programs off drives that are connected through USB instead of SATA/PCI-E.For a more demanding app like a game there may be some performance consequences though, such as slower loading times.I'd suggest sticking to faster storage like a hard drive and avoiding cheap USB sticks.

Yep. Think I'll suggest an external fast ssd drive in the first instance.
Thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants