Found 3rd Jun 2010
Hi all

I need to get an external dvd drive for my netbook so I can 'back up' my DVD collection. Does anyone know what/where the best one to get is?

It's a minefield!

Cheers all

Foxy

11 Comments

depends how much u wanna spend. £30 or £40 will get u a decent enough branded one from tescos or u can get them for about £20-£25 on ebay

Amazon do some good ones, have a look there or play.com

How much 'backing up' are we talking? If it's a lot, you'd probably be better off using a desktop, since these mobile bits of hardware are never particularly speedy.

Original Poster

dxx;8752336

How much 'backing up' are we talking? If it's a lot, you'd probably be … How much 'backing up' are we talking? If it's a lot, you'd probably be better off using a desktop, since these mobile bits of hardware are never particularly speedy.

Not a great amount. I can set it up in the morning and as long as it's done by the time I get home from work i'll be happy!

Is size important to you ? Or how often do you want to be replacing your drive ? eg If you have hundreds and hundreds of movies you want to back up a slimline external will do it but they are not as good as full size external writers (well normally) as in they tend to heat up more and can breakdown quicker.

do you want a usb powered drive only to keep down the clutter, Slimline is your only option (eg no PSU needed 99% of time)

amazon.co.uk/Lit…8-3

Original Poster

dontasciime;8752590

Is size important to you ? Or how often do you want to be replacing your … Is size important to you ? Or how often do you want to be replacing your drive ? eg If you have hundreds and hundreds of movies you want to back up a slimline external will do it but they are not as good as full size external writers (well normally) as in they tend to heat up more and can breakdown quicker.do you want a usb powered drive only to keep down the clutter, Slimline is your only option (eg no PSU needed 99% of time)

Yes to small and yes to USB.

dcx_badass;8752615

Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive, bargain, like £20 new, less used.

Think they want to write dvds

Foxy102;8752607

Yes to small and yes to USB.

The liteon would be 1 choice then. I have one but only used it 2 times so I cannot say how long it will last. well it will last me years as I have over 50 DVD writers but I mean if I were to keep using it regularly.

usb powered and burns 360 games well, either black or white you may have to pay more for the black one though. £32 at amazon at minute but search around. I did quickly search as well and Amazon seemed to be the cheapest on first look.

Original Poster

dontasciime;8752675

The liteon would be 1 choice then. I have one but only used it 2 times so … The liteon would be 1 choice then. I have one but only used it 2 times so I cannot say how long it will last. well it will last me years as I have over 50 DVD writers but I mean if I were to keep using it regularly.usb powered and burns 360 games well, either black or white you may have to pay more for the black one though. £32 at amazon at minute but search around. I did quickly search as well and Amazon seemed to be the cheapest on first look.

Sounds good. Could you post the link please.

i have already

Original Poster

dontasciime;8753062

i have already

Sorry...

being dim :oops:

Have some rep.:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Ea access code for xbox?22