Expired

External Hard Disk Drive £50 or Less - Advice Please

Found 8th Feb 2008
Hi, I am one of those idiots who didn't have a good back up regime and just as I got my new laptop my old one died with loads of photos and documents stuck on a dead hard disk...so now I am going to get an external hard disk and ude automatic back up software.
So: Vista compatable, USB2, prefer auto power off/on, quiet, minimum 100GB, reliable.....
I have gone around in circles, but I don't know what is good, what is bad, what is reliable what isn't...very limited budget, really stretching at £50 total.
Anyhelp (and links) gratefully received.
Thanks

As an aside I like the look of the mybook range.

12 Comments

there was one earlier on here for a little over 60 notes with a 500gb drive on it, reckon thats a life worth of photos and stuff

Original Poster

markhodges1975;1557286

there was one earlier on here for a little over 60 notes with a 500gb … there was one earlier on here for a little over 60 notes with a 500gb drive on it, reckon thats a life worth of photos and stuff

All the 500Gb ones I have seen have been £70 on here...great value, but really don't want to spend that....the mybooks look good at that sort of price, bearing in my mind I only had an 80gb disk on my last laptop 500GB would last me for years...

have a look at ]this

Original Poster

nuabdi;1557375

have a look at ]this

Always worry what you will get clicking on a link, thanks nuabdi.....do you have any recommendations? that is part of my concern......must say the Iomega 360GB is looking favourable, especially as I have a 10% off accessories at Dell which brings it down to £53.54....any opinions on the Iomega stuff?

The iomega 360gb is available to collect at store at ]comet for £54 if you enter the promotion code '10DATANET' online...

Its a decent drive, Seagate inside i think, well made case.

Original Poster

jah128;1557700

The iomega 360gb is available to collect at store at ]comet for £54 if … The iomega 360gb is available to collect at store at ]comet for £54 if you enter the promotion code '10DATANET' online...Its a decent drive, Seagate inside i think, well made case.

Good price and thanks for the code (I think it has been posted on here somewhere), unfortunately I don't have a particularly local store, half tempted by the dell deal as I am gonna have to order and wait anyway

Fair play, its a pity as its nice to be able to pick it up without having to wait for delivery. I think the code is listed on here with the 500gb drive (also good value) - its a decent drive though, one of the nicer external models IMO if a bit large. Its worth considering getting a 2.5" model if its largely for use with a laptop though (they are much smaller and dont need the external PSU) although you get a lot less GB for your money.

NB The Iomega isn't the fastest drive mind - noticably slower than my other external (based on a IcyBox caddy and standard PATA drive).

Original Poster

jah128;1557917

Fair play, its a pity as its nice to be able to pick it up without having … Fair play, its a pity as its nice to be able to pick it up without having to wait for delivery. I think the code is listed on here with the 500gb drive (also good value) - its a decent drive though, one of the nicer external models IMO if a bit large. Its worth considering getting a 2.5" model if its largely for use with a laptop though (they are much smaller and dont need the external PSU) although you get a lot less GB for your money.NB The Iomega isn't the fastest drive mind - noticably slower than my other external (based on a IcyBox caddy and standard PATA drive).

Useful advice thank you.

J.Dance;1557971

Have you tried Amazon?250GB Hard Drive for … Have you tried Amazon?250GB Hard Drive for £56.00http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-FREEAGENT-DESKTOP-UK-VER-7200RPM/dp/B000P6W2DC/ref=pd_bbs_10?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202496596&sr=8-10500Gb Hard Drive £69.00http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-301285K-Lacie-Desktop-Drive/dp/B000WH7P90/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202496669&sr=8-18

Indeed and ebuyer, although the Lacie stuff gets mixed reviews, and I don't know anything about the Freeagent products....this is where I am stuck, if you use a back up drive what is it and what do you think of it?

i was off ater posting the link last night...
well i currently use Fujitsu HDD (asian version) now so i cant comment on other brands other than the general reviews you've already read
but personally i wouldnt mind any brand as hardisk reliability does depend also on how (careful or careless) you use it..
BTW there are people who can recover the data on your "dead hardisk"

Original Poster

nuabdi;1559559

i was off ater posting the link last night... BTW there are people who … i was off ater posting the link last night... BTW there are people who can recover the data on your "dead hardisk"

I know, going to try it in a caddy first, see if I can access it as a slave drive through another computer...already tried linux live cd, but it couldn't mount the drive.

Original Poster

closing as went for the wd portable usb2 hard drive from pcworld when I visited my brother on Sunday...excellent, small, silent and the silver case and blue led match my inspiron perfectly...thanks everyone for the help.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Quidco Snow me the money Competition831093
    2. Ending: 03/12 - A giveaway for a £175 Freedom To Exist Watch11
    3. Win Longines Ladies Watch worth £117033
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 46 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515

See more discussions