External Hard Drive 1TB NEEDED!

11 replies
Found 20th Nov 2009
hi, i need an external hdd and want to know what is the most reliable brand to go for?

my PC needs reformatting so i need to buy an external hdd to back everything up and transfer back...

so i need to know reliable brand to buy also need fast transfer of files too... going to backup around 320gb

current internal hard drive is:
320GB Seagate ST3320620AS Barracuda
7200.10 SATA2 7200 rpm
16MB Cache
NCQ Hard Drive

can anyone please give me any recommendations?

11 Comments

I think most hard drives have a similar failure rate.

It's just luck of the draw really. For me though, i've been quite lucky and only ever had 2 hard drives die on me. One was from an ancient computer and the other was a 200GB Seagate.

Might be a daft question but why do you need a 1tb to back up 360 gig.

IMO the bigger the drive the more info youa re going to lose if it does go belly up, several smaller drives is a safer bet.

Original Poster

greg_68;6946996

Might be a daft question but why do you need a 1tb to back up 360 gig.IMO … Might be a daft question but why do you need a 1tb to back up 360 gig.IMO the bigger the drive the more info youa re going to lose if it does go belly up, several smaller drives is a safer bet.

i thought 1TB would be worth it cause i notice if u pay an extra £10/£15 for a 500gb u can get the 1TB

The Samsung Story isn't a bad option. Nice build quality and a dedicated on off switch on the front. I got a 1.5tb one for under 90 of your english pounds and am very happy with it. They DO do a 1tb option too.

Original Poster

jinjernuts;7244819

The Samsung Story isn't a bad option. Nice build quality and a dedicated … The Samsung Story isn't a bad option. Nice build quality and a dedicated on off switch on the front. I got a 1.5tb one for under 90 of your english pounds and am very happy with it. They DO do a 1tb option too.

the only thing is i'm rarely gonna use it...i only need it to backup my files on my computer so that i can format and then transfer files back on...other then that its not gonna be in use...

killabyte;7245106

the only thing is i'm rarely gonna use it...i only need it to backup my … the only thing is i'm rarely gonna use it...i only need it to backup my files on my computer so that i can format and then transfer files back on...other then that its not gonna be in use...

I'd suggest maybe lending a usb powered one from a friend just for the time being then. Or maybe opt for a 500gb that can be cleared down once you get the data back onto your main rig.

You could save a few bob that way.

Original Poster

jinjernuts;7245285

I'd suggest maybe lending a usb powered one from a friend just for the … I'd suggest maybe lending a usb powered one from a friend just for the time being then. Or maybe opt for a 500gb that can be cleared down once you get the data back onto your main rig.You could save a few bob that way.

good idea...will get a 500gb one then but would the USB powered ones be longer lasting then the plug powered? i'm thinking i might get a USB powered one...

killabyte;7244797

anyone recommend … anyone recommend this?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansions-External-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00238KZPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260979205&sr=1-1

Got one of these - been fine so far - just use it for backups.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7245497

Why would they be longer lasting?

i've owned a 60gb usb powered from 3 years ago which is still working...i had 2 plug powered which have both completly died out on me...so from this experience i'm thinking usb powered will be more reliable? :?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7245609

How, please try and justify that. They are essentially the same item. I … How, please try and justify that. They are essentially the same item. I give up I really do.

i dont know how or why...but the usb powered is working fine...cant really justify unless i knew
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. arome therapy diffusers23
    2. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?914
    3. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?40
    4. Best/cheapest music service66

See more discussions