Groups

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Im looking to get an external hard drive to back up all our photo's, video's mp3's etc etc We have 2 desk top pc's and a laptop. Can anyone advise me on a good one which can do all 3?

2 Comments

You have two options really, USB Drive or a NAS Drive.

USB, you can use on all 3 of your computers simultaneously by using Windows Networking.
    NAS is designed to be used on a network (plugged into your router/modem) so doesn't require Windows Networking and can be used on all networked machines simultaneously (all machines connected to the router/modem wirelessly or wired).

You could just use a USB Drive without a network, but this would mean moving it from one computer to the other every time you want to backup/read some data.

NAS Drives are considerably more expensive than USB Drives, so I would recommend you purchase a USB Drive and look into Windows Networking if you do not have it working already.

Something like this is probably the best you can get for your money right now: hotukdeals.com/ite…tb/

Original Poster

PhearFactor;5529401

You have two options really, USB Drive or a NAS Drive.USB, you can use on … You have two options really, USB Drive or a NAS Drive.USB, you can use on all 3 of your computers simultaneously by using Windows Networking.NAS is designed to be used on a network (plugged into your router/modem) so doesn't require Windows Networking and can be used on all networked machines simultaneously (all machines connected to the router/modem wirelessly or wired).You could just use a USB Drive without a network, but this would mean moving it from one computer to the other every time you want to backup/read some data.NAS Drives are considerably more expensive than USB Drives, so I would recommend you purchase a USB Drive and look into Windows Networking if you do not have it working already.Something like this is probably the best you can get for your money right now: http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/424264/amazon-western-digital-elements-1tb/

thanx :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1224
      2. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay1017
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?22
      4. Legal advice?79

See more discussions