Groups

external hard drive failure?

I purchased a 1.5 terrabyte external wd element hard drive 3 weeks ago
    the pc wont recognize it anymore, i have tried it on 3 pcs, used another usb lead, and now got a new ac adapter.
    The power light comes on but flashes continuously and no pc will read it
    I tried wd disk management but it wont pick it up

Has anyone experinced this does it sound like its failed, i know its under warrenty but i would rather retreive all the files on there if i can, just want to make sure its not something easy to fix before i send it back

also do amazon refund or pass you on to wd, had no experience with returns on a hard drive

8 Comments

Original Poster

ill have a look at that thread mate thanks,

The actual plug that came with it no longer powers it , the new one i brought powers the drive but i dont hear no usb noise when you normally connect the power light just keeps flashing

It begins to spin for 3 secs then stops and repeats not sure if thats because usb not connecting or if its knackered

I like to know of someone who has removed the casing with the same issue with success if possible to save voiding warrenty

Edited by: "pughy2000" 8th Oct 2010

ME! i removed casing - but it was out of warranty anyway. replaced casing, and voila. mine worked. hopefully someone else'll pop along to help on here

Banned

tbh i think someone has to be crazy to trust personal files to a single drive that big

Banned

dcx_badass

Not really, could say the same about any drive.

i have 4 or 5 smaller drives that i use
    so unlikely to lose 100% of my saved files in one go and with a drive that big it could be years of work

Banned

where did the second 1.5tb drive come from i said crazy to only have a single drive

couldn't agree more that 2 drives is the answer and its not as if it costs alot nowadays

Banned

most people could cope with losing 20% of their files
    I,E, family photos/videos spread over 5 drives, bin one and you still have 80% of seeing your family grown up, easy to live with as most people have to many anyway
    family photos/videos on 1 drive, lose drive and your gutted, life time of memories gone never to be seen again

Original Poster

to be honest i formatted my pc and backed everthing up on that drive only had it a couple of weeks so didnt expect it to break that quick, still not sure if i should take the casing off, i suppose its only 70 quid for a chance to get all my stuff back
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846270
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …67115
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764497
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2644

See more discussions