Groups

External Hard Drive for PS4

So I've decided rather than spending £88 on a fast hard drive to place in the PS4, then having to spend £10 on a decent caddy for the 500GB drive from the PS4, that an external is best for me.

Any recommendations? I wanted the 'My Passport' recertified from WD but it's always out of stock. Don't really want to spend more than £55 and I want a minimum of 2TB.

Any ideas? Thanks.

20 Comments

If your talking about a portable 2TB drive then you wont find one for £55, you might get a Seagate deal pop up on here slightly over that price.

I've only ever seen a Seagate 2TB once on here lower than £55, excluding a few in store deals.
    Edited by: "4Real2016" 16th May

I got a Seagate 2TB external USB to Go drive from Clearance Bargains (Argos) Walsall for £39 a year and a half ago, offers that low are few and far between.

It generally is cheaper to buy an external drive, crack the case open and do a donor swap. However you have to choose your USB drives wisely, some have soldered connectors instead of a detachable SATA header board to USB.

Only problem with opening an external drive is you lose any warranty, on the other hand why have 2TB outside when you can put it inside.

If I was you I would find one on Amazon and then see if you can get it cheaper through Flubit.

Original Poster

4Real2016

Only problem with opening an external drive is you lose any warranty, on … Only problem with opening an external drive is you lose any warranty, on the other hand why have 2TB outside when you can put it inside.If I was you I would find one on Amazon and then see if you can get it cheaper through Flubit.

Because it'll be more costly to have an internal one.

superfreddy

Because it'll be more costly to have an internal one.

No you missed the point, people buy 2TB external, split them open and put it inside, cost the same.

Original Poster

4Real2016

No you missed the point, people buy 2TB external, split them open and put … No you missed the point, people buy 2TB external, split them open and put it inside, cost the same.

Thanks, I messaged you.

4Real2016

No you missed the point, people buy 2TB external, split them open and put … No you missed the point, people buy 2TB external, split them open and put it inside, cost the same.

​Thats what I did with my fat first model, cost me £55 and had a spare 500gb left to spare spare spare. The ps4 still goes strong after 3 years and still doesn't overheat or anything problem wise. I did notice a slight buzzing sound at first, but my new Xbox one s outdid that buzz when fresh out the box so it's hardly worrying.
    Btw, buy a psp and play Gameboy on it. Perfect.

Original Poster

I broke open an external for use with my last PS4 and it constantly beeped when playing games. Drove me mad, and the fan was really loud. That was a brand new Samsung drive.

I was reading an article the other day that was testing external drives and SSDs, and in most tests the external drives loaded games quicker than the internal disk. I was quite surprised by that. I'd say get a fast external drive (ie:7200 rpm) and keep it external. Oh and if you ask me, buying a recertified disk isn't worth the hassle.

Original Poster

UriStamonov

I was reading an article the other day that was testing external drives … I was reading an article the other day that was testing external drives and SSDs, and in most tests the external drives loaded games quicker than the internal disk. I was quite surprised by that. I'd say get a fast external drive (ie:7200 rpm) and keep it external. Oh and if you ask me, buying a recertified disk isn't worth the hassle.

Why is it faster via USB and not internal though, it's weird.

superfreddy

I broke open an external for use with my last PS4 and it constantly … I broke open an external for use with my last PS4 and it constantly beeped when playing games. Drove me mad, and the fan was really loud. That was a brand new Samsung drive.

​Probably was a faulty drive, I did the same and have had no issues. I use an external fan to keep the air circulating, that helps, and formatted the drive from the ps4 boot menu, before installing the latest software update, also had a backup of my old 500gb which I restored to it once up and running. Perfect ps4 capable of running all my games without the messing of deleting and copying data, no leads and usb ports in use and haven't looked back since. Also charge my controller with a Samsung phone charger.

Original Poster

I don't trust that drive again though since the beeping thing. Been reported loads online.

Original Poster

Pacman786

Probably was a faulty drive, I did the same and have had no issues. I use … Probably was a faulty drive, I did the same and have had no issues. I use an external fan to keep the air circulating, that helps, and formatted the drive from the ps4 boot menu, before installing the latest software update, also had a backup of my old 500gb which I restored to it once up and running. Perfect ps4 capable of running all my games without the messing of deleting and copying data, no leads and usb ports in use and haven't looked back since. Also charge my controller with a Samsung phone charger.

Can you confirm the exact drive you used please?

superfreddy

Can you confirm the exact drive you used please?

​Samsung m9t 2tb.

Original Poster

I went for the 2TB Firecuda that 4Real2016 suggested. It's the best one for the PS4 apparently.

Don't blame me, I just gave you the information

At most your paying £15/£20 more and getting a 5 year warranty.

Anyway let us know how it goes.
    Edited by: "4Real2016" 16th May

Original Poster

4Real2016

Don't blame me, I just gave you the information :|At most your paying … Don't blame me, I just gave you the information :|At most your paying £15/£20 more and getting a 5 year warranty.Anyway let us know how it goes.

That's what I thought. I have no intention of selling my PS4 as I keep my consoles. So 5 years peace of mind is probably worth it. Providing they honour it.

4Real2016

lol, you got lucky … lol, you got lucky :)http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/people-with-2tb-samsung-seagate-hdd-thier-ps4-look-here-2037431

​I wasn't aware of the issue, I never move my console and have never had an issue, I'm glad, I remember before I swapped HDD, I used to worry so much about what it might do, I bought a slim ps4 as a backup and have since sold that because I never needed the substitute. I have blockbuster titles on the HDD and a few nonsense games on disc, over half is used. Maybe if I filled it all up, it would have an issue. Lucky me I guess.
    Damn fatty won't give up, got a Pro waiting in the wings to take its place.

superfreddy

Why is it faster via USB and not internal though, it's weird.

​Honestly don't know. Maybe was a higher spec drive. I'm more info PC hardware so don't know the specs, maybe the PS4 is usb3? Oddly enough I fired mine up earlier and the internal disk is full, so I ought to re read this thread as it looks like I need a drive now!
    Edited by: "UriStamonov" 16th May
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851340
      2. £75 voucher for Argos, M&S or NEXT when you take out Life Insurance (£63.90…88
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?25
      4. Important info for Ryanair customers1418

See more discussions