Found 8th May 2011
I have recently bought a western digital 1tb external hard drive.

I transfered a file from my laptop to the hard drive, this file has been on my laptop for a while and have had no problems opening it up in the past, now tho when I try to open it up on the hard drive the msg below keeps appearing?

Any ideas what I can do to get this file back??

14 Comments

Original Poster

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac240/dungab123/ee2b2a42.jpg

Have you tried opening it using another laptop/PC?

Original Poster

cis_groupie

Have you tried opening it using another laptop/PC?

No will go try now.

So you still have a copy on your laptop?

If so, I'd say to delete it from the external drive and copy it across again.

If not then you might have a problem. First of all, try connecting it to a different computer.

If that doesn't work, it sounds as though the file or file system is corrupt. There are programs out their that will try and recover lost files from a hard drive, but they are not simple to use - read this for some info:

lifehacker.com/393…are

Hope this helps.

Original Poster

profet

So you still have a copy on your laptop?If so, I'd say to delete it from … So you still have a copy on your laptop?If so, I'd say to delete it from the external drive and copy it across again.If not then you might have a problem. First of all, try connecting it to a different computer.If that doesn't work, it sounds as though the file or file system is corrupt. There are programs out their that will try and recover lost files from a hard drive, but they are not simple to use - read this for some info:http://lifehacker.com/393084/how-to-recover-deleted-files-with-free-softwareHope this helps.

No, I have deleted it from my Laptop, and just checked and it doesnt work on my PC either, how could it have been corrupted any ideas?

Original Poster

One of the files that was there has now just vanished of the hard drive completely, and to top it off it was 3 years worth of photo's of my daughter that have all gone, plus all my holiday photos basically all my photos.

Original Poster

I only bought the hard drive last week, and have only just transferred the files, didn't think anything could go wrong this quick! Has anyone got any ideas why the have been corrupted after been in the hard drive a few days when they have been working fine on my laptop for months?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Did you check they worked after you'd done it.And as with all hard drives … Did you check they worked after you'd done it.And as with all hard drives they are all mechanical so have a random chance of failing.

Yes I transferred them yesterday and had been working but then today they have been corrupted and one has just vanished, I know they could fail but didn't think it would be this quick, if I take it to a computer shop do you think there is a good chance they can recover the files, with back ups how do you know both can't fail?

Unfortunately I agree, it does sound like the hard drive is failing. I have seen drives fail within a couple of weeks and portable drives or those within laptops are more vulnerable due to them being moved about and subject to more shocks.

You can download software yourself and check over the drive to see what's recoverable, most paid ones will allow you to scan the drive and give you an idea what they can recover which is as much as a computer shop will do. Everyone seems to have their own choice of recovery software, mine is FileScavenger which is fairly cheap and it's done a remarkable job at getting files off failing hard drives for me. I'd get the hard drive shut down and only use it when attempting recovery though because if it is dying you want to maximise your chances of grabbing the data before it goes completely.

As for both backups failing, it's highly unlikely that you're going to lose two drives simultaneously. When one drive fails you can immediately replace it and copy the data across.

John

Original Poster

How does it work with warranty, does anyone know I bought this hard drive from amazon last week, could I send this back?

You can send it back and get a replacement but they won't recover any of your data.

John

Original Poster

Yeah I do safely remove the hard drive, thanks for all the advice

When a file or directory is corrupt, the index to the actual location does not exist or is pointing to a non-existent entry. This is not usually caused by a hard drive fault but caused by cached data not being written back and is common amongst external hard disc users who power off or unplug the drive before data is written.

Operations that you can perform are:

1. Use chkdsk which will test file integrity.
2. Apply a fix to MBR (search on Google) in the event that the MBR was not correctly written to.
3. Use software to read what it can of the MFT to rebuild as much of the inaccessible files as possible. Typical example is Get Data Back for NTFS (runtime.org/)

Might be better off trying to recover/undelete the files off your laptop, assuming you haven't written loads of data to it they may still be recoverable from there...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition71781
    2. Win Google Pixel 2 or a Google Pixel 2 XL11
    3. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54

See more discussions