External hard drive help, folder disappeared

15 replies
Found 11th Oct 2009
I've got an external hard drive where i have a flder for pohotos and a folder for films
The photo one is still there but instead of the films one there are a load of letters
When i click on the properties of the hard drive it still says i've used up 320gb whicj means the films must still be there somewhere, anyone got any idea as to what's happened to them?
Picture below.

15 Comments

Original Poster

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3476/4002074056_57852ea9c2_o.jpg

They could have become corrupted,Do you use the "safely remove hardware" routine before you unplug it ?.

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6546911

They could have become corrupted,Do you use the "safely remove hardware" … They could have become corrupted,Do you use the "safely remove hardware" routine before you unplug it ?.

it has been disconnected without doing that, not on purpose, when i've moved the laptop forgetting the hdd is plugged in:oops:

Anything in the J or K folders?

Original Poster

DragonChris;6546931

Anything in the J or K folders?

no both empty

either got a trojan (hacked) or its just corrupt.

tonyg1962;6546911

They could have become corrupted,Do you use the "safely remove hardware" … They could have become corrupted,Do you use the "safely remove hardware" routine before you unplug it ?.

when it says hot-swapping do you still have to use the safely remove hardware option ?

just curious as i have a removable hard-drive & have always just unplugged it :thinking:

Do you know the names of any of the films,You could try searching in Vista and see if it finds any and then open there location ,

Original Poster

If it's corrupt is there any way to way to recover it? I've got loads of stuff on there

richp;6546952

when it says hot-swapping do you still have to use the safely remove … when it says hot-swapping do you still have to use the safely remove hardware option ?just curious as i have a removable hard-drive & have always just unplugged it :thinking:

Yes because sometimes windows is still writing to the drive when you unplug it,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6546958

Do you know the names of any of the films,You could try searching in … Do you know the names of any of the films,You could try searching in Vista and see if it finds any and then open there location ,

I'll try that cheers

souljacker;6546967

If it's corrupt is there any way to way to recover it? I've got loads … If it's corrupt is there any way to way to recover it? I've got loads of stuff on there

[FONT=Verdana]Would recommend doing a full virus scan first and then trying out this utility but there's no guarantee it will get everything based upon your previous replies - you might want to consider getting everything off (before doing the recovery) and format it from fresh, so there's no residual corruption.

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
piriform.com/recuva

Edit - You could also try running this utility, you can run it for thirty days before getting a prompt to purchase a license, as it will show you a breakdown of the contents of the external USB hard disk based on size (you can sort it accordingly).

JAM Software - TreeSize Professional - Hard Disk Space Manager that shows folder size and many more statistics
jam-software.com/tre…ze/

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6547001

[FONT=Verdana]Would recommend doing a full virus scan first and then … [FONT=Verdana]Would recommend doing a full virus scan first and then trying out this utility but there's no guarantee it will get everything based upon your previous replies - you might want to consider getting everything off (before doing the recovery) and format it from fresh, so there's no residual corruption.Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Downloadhttp://www.piriform.com/recuvaEdit - You could also try running this utility, you can run it for thirty days before getting a prompt to purchase a license, as it will show you a breakdown of the contents of the external USB hard disk based on size (you can sort it accordingly).JAM Software - TreeSize Professional - Hard Disk Space Manager that shows folder size and many more statisticshttp://www.jam-software.com/treesize/Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Cheers, tried that but it says unable to read boot sector when i start the scan

You could try right click on the drive
Properties
Tools
Error checking
check now
Automatically fix file system errors
Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors
Start

probably wont work but worth a try

Original Poster

Still having problems witht his drive but i've just downloaded a programme called Handy recovery so hopefully this will get some of the files back
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247551
    2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983225
    3. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1115
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769183

See more discussions