Groups

External Hard Drive help. (solved, thanx for the help rep added)

HI guys,

Just bought an external hard drive on the understanding I can store media on it and play it on my tv but when plugging it in to my dvd player it says unsupported usb type.

The hard drive is a seagate:
    argos.co.uk/sta…htm

and my dvd player is a sumvision:
    amazon.co.uk/Sum…8-1

Someone said about formatting the hard drive to FAT32 but the only option is to format it using the NTFS file system.

Basically will I get this to work via my dvd player or im I just dreaming as people have posted comments on reviews that they can use a 500gig hard drive with the sumvision dvd player and if anyone can recommend one that will work that would be great.

Thanks Guys

5 Comments

from a command prompt..

format /FS:FAT32 X:
    (replace X with whatever your drive letter is for the external HD)

or use ]Swissknife

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6642259

from a command prompt..format /FS:FAT32 X:(replace X with whatever your … from a command prompt..format /FS:FAT32 X:(replace X with whatever your drive letter is for the external HD)or use ]Swissknife

So this will change to Fat32 and if needed can I format back again incase I need to return it to the store?

Thanks and will add some rep.

Yes that should format it to FAT32. Of course format will delete all data, just to make sure nothing importants on there.
    And yes you could format it back to NTFS after.

Original Poster

munaaf;6642314

Yes that should format it to FAT32. Of course format will delete all … Yes that should format it to FAT32. Of course format will delete all data, just to make sure nothing importants on there.And yes you could format it back to NTFS after.

Nothing on there at all except the files that were on for seagate stuff which I have copied to desktop.

Thanks gonna try it now :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Works a treat thanks guys. :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?27105
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …1730
      3. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2337
      4. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1527

See more discussions