External Hard drive on a budget?

Posted 10th May
Hi,

I am wanting an external hard drive to back up photos and videos of the family to free up some space on the laptop.
Looking roughly around £60ish i think? If anyone knows a decent reliable one or one on offer that would be great
Also another question is, do these back up or say if it breaks is there any way of getting the files back?

Thank you in advance for any help
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Plenty of hdd deals posted just use search and take your pick.
Western Digital usually have a few bargains from time to time and the deal will be slightly cheaper still if you can benefit from the Student/Senior discount

for instance
shop.westerndigital.com/en-…nts
bally1234510/05/2020 11:47

Plenty of hdd deals posted just use search and take your pick.

Had a look, wanted some recommendations and an answer to my question too..
Sonofclara10/05/2020 11:53

Western Digital usually have a few bargains from time to time and the deal …Western Digital usually have a few bargains from time to time and the deal will be slightly cheaper still if you can benefit from the Student/Senior discount for instancehttps://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/promotions/education-and-senior-discounts

Ahh don't fall into them discount categories but thanks for the help
kickinkez10/05/2020 11:59

Ahh don't fall into them discount categories but thanks for the help

Some of the Seagate drives include recovery, so if they fail during warranty period, they will take the broken drive, do data recovery and put the data on a replacement drive iirc.
Hi kickinkez. There are plenty drives available but it all depends on which way you wish to go. What size drives are you looking to buy? How much data do you currently have to back up?

I would answer your second question with a resounding "No" - if the drive is "broken" then chances are slim at recovering anything. If it has just failed, as in a software related issue such as corruption then it CAN be possible to recover files.

This leads me to suggest that you never put all your eggs in one basket. Most people who back up important stuff tend to run two (or more) backups - i.e. get two drives - or a hard drive and also burn copies to CD/DVD etc. Even a large USB stick as another option. Then, if one element fails you still have the other to fall back on. I would suggest; depending on the amount you have to store; getting a couple of decent-sized laptop HDD's (or SSD's) and some USB caddies to put them in OR just purchase "portable" hard drives from the get-go.

Have a look on MyMemory.co.uk for some good value drives. They had some great portable drives for £28 plus 10% off if you buy two. OOS presently but you could keep an eye on them for in future? If you want to 'chance' it, CEX have some cheap stuff too. I've seen 120gb (ok, not very large!) for a tenner or some 500gb for £18 a pop. Yes, they are used but I've known brand new drives to fail and secondhand ones that are still going strong. It's all a coin-toss with hard drives!

Me personally? I run a 2.5" laptop HDD as a picture/music backup. Then I burn all photo's to optical disc to preserve them. Belt and braces approach maybe but you can just put the disc's away somewhere safe for peace-of-mind storage.
Any drive can fail completely and make the data on it unrecoverable and they all work the same way and can be backed up however you choose.
I'd agree with the above - I have my main desktop machine, with an external USB drive to back up my data, plus a WD My Cloud NAS drive. On top of that, if it's stuff I really care about, I also make a copy to my Google Drive account.
Phsycronix10/05/2020 12:29

Hi kickinkez. There are plenty drives available but it all depends on …Hi kickinkez. There are plenty drives available but it all depends on which way you wish to go. What size drives are you looking to buy? How much data do you currently have to back up?I would answer your second question with a resounding "No" - if the drive is "broken" then chances are slim at recovering anything. If it has just failed, as in a software related issue such as corruption then it CAN be possible to recover files.This leads me to suggest that you never put all your eggs in one basket. Most people who back up important stuff tend to run two (or more) backups - i.e. get two drives - or a hard drive and also burn copies to CD/DVD etc. Even a large USB stick as another option. Then, if one element fails you still have the other to fall back on. I would suggest; depending on the amount you have to store; getting a couple of decent-sized laptop HDD's (or SSD's) and some USB caddies to put them in OR just purchase "portable" hard drives from the get-go.Have a look on MyMemory.co.uk for some good value drives. They had some great portable drives for £28 plus 10% off if you buy two. OOS presently but you could keep an eye on them for in future? If you want to 'chance' it, CEX have some cheap stuff too. I've seen 120gb (ok, not very large!) for a tenner or some 500gb for £18 a pop. Yes, they are used but I've known brand new drives to fail and secondhand ones that are still going strong. It's all a coin-toss with hard drives!Me personally? I run a 2.5" laptop HDD as a picture/music backup. Then I burn all photo's to optical disc to preserve them. Belt and braces approach maybe but you can just put the disc's away somewhere safe for peace-of-mind storage.

Brilliant thank yo very much for that! Gone for the WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive 2TB Yellow for £47.99 Hopefully this is enough for photos and videos
Worried though if it breaks and I lose everything
How about this: mymemory.co.uk/ver…tml

1TB, in stock, £48 and a two year warranty. Also, if you sign up to their "newsletter" (yawn!) you can get a discount off your first order - unless you've already purchased from them, of course. In which case...
Phsycronix10/05/2020 12:36

How about this: …How about this: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/verbatim-1tb-store-n-go-2-5-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-black.html1TB, in stock, £48 and a two year warranty. Also, if you sign up to their "newsletter" (yawn!) you can get a discount off your first order - unless you've already purchased from them, of course. In which case...

Gone for the WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive 2TB Yellow mate for £47.99 I believe it comes with 3 years warranty
kickinkez10/05/2020 12:35

Brilliant thank yo very much for that! Gone for the WD My Passport …Brilliant thank yo very much for that! Gone for the WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive 2TB Yellow for £47.99 Hopefully this is enough for photos and videosWorried though if it breaks and I lose everything

That sounds like a good move. 2TB ought to see you set. I tend not to go for HUGE drives myself as they take ages to scan and; like you say; if you fill it and it goes POP! that's a lot to lose. Therefore, a back-up....um....back-up is deffo needed. As alg suggested - have you considered cloud storage? Do you have a 'burner' drive that you can make use of?
Most external HDD are very reliable these days.

Get a usb 3 as you'll get faster write speeds.
Western digital and Seagate are highly recognised brands.

Some cracking westerndigital deals as of late. I got a 2tb hd for £30. Yeah it's canary yellow but that's no issue for me.
Phsycronix10/05/2020 12:42

That sounds like a good move. 2TB ought to see you set. I tend not to go …That sounds like a good move. 2TB ought to see you set. I tend not to go for HUGE drives myself as they take ages to scan and; like you say; if you fill it and it goes POP! that's a lot to lose. Therefore, a back-up....um....back-up is deffo needed. As alg suggested - have you considered cloud storage? Do you have a 'burner' drive that you can make use of?

Thanks and hmm don't think I do... I just have them on my laptop hard drive. I have a memory stick 32gb haha that is about it
rayanfield8310/05/2020 12:47

Most external HDD are very reliable these days. Get a usb 3 as you'll get …Most external HDD are very reliable these days. Get a usb 3 as you'll get faster write speeds. Western digital and Seagate are highly recognised brands.Some cracking westerndigital deals as of late. I got a 2tb hd for £30. Yeah it's canary yellow but that's no issue for me.

Thank you I ordered the WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive 2TB Yellow too haha. £47.99 and 3 year warranty I believe with it.

Not sure if it is usb 3?
kickinkez10/05/2020 12:51

Thank you I ordered the WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive 2TB Yellow too …Thank you I ordered the WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive 2TB Yellow too haha. £47.99 and 3 year warranty I believe with it.Not sure if it is usb 3?

Yeah it will be
kickinkez10/05/2020 12:35

Brilliant thank yo very much for that! Gone for the WD My Passport …Brilliant thank yo very much for that! Gone for the WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive 2TB Yellow for £47.99 Hopefully this is enough for photos and videosWorried though if it breaks and I lose everything

If your data doesn't exist in at least 3 different places it really doesn't exist at all....

why not at least put a copy of some of the most important stuff in the Cloud somewhere. google will let you have 15Gb for free
Uridium10/05/2020 13:05

If your data doesn't exist in at least 3 different places it really …If your data doesn't exist in at least 3 different places it really doesn't exist at all....why not at least put a copy of some of the most important stuff in the Cloud somewhere. google will let you have 15Gb for free

Ahh didn't know this, will look at sorting this out when it arrives thank you
A number of cloud companies give a certain amount of free space - Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox.

Nothing stopping you setting up a number of Google Gmail addresses (one for each of the family) and using the "free" Google Cloud space on each.

I know it is over the top but I have FOUR external hard drives and back up everything to all four. I have stuff backed up from 20 years ago up to today (I used to work in computers so have files and photos from way back then so keen to keep them).

As others have said, one backup is not enough. Have a least 2 if not more.

For example suppose your house was burgled, and the burglar stole your laptop AND your external hard drive, you would lose the lot ! Or if there was a house fire !

Much of our lives is now digital so making numerous backups on different devices and platforms is important.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions