Groups

External Hard Drive problem?

I've got 200gb hd I use in an enclosure for back up, all been working fine but now doesn't show up in 'my computer'.
    Strange thing is it's listed in the device manager and saying no problems.
    I've tried it in various other usb ports but still the same.
    Any ideas? as I really need to acess it, thought of taking it out of the enclosure & mounting it direct in the pc, but its ide & my pcs sata.

10 Comments

Had the same problem myself yesterday, but a simple reboot with the drive connected seemed to sort it out. I know, sounds a bit too simple and obvious, probably just a fluke!

Original Poster

yvonneid;1446369

Had the same problem myself yesterday, but a simple reboot with the drive … Had the same problem myself yesterday, but a simple reboot with the drive connected seemed to sort it out. I know, sounds a bit too simple and obvious, probably just a fluke!

Thanks yvonned, tried that, no luck

Banned

does it show up under DISK MANAGEMENT (see admin tools/computer management/disk management). if it does, then try assign a drive letter to it.

I assume drivers are loaded for the drive or windows auto loaded when you plugged it in.

also can try uninstalling device under device management. unplug from usb, re-boot computer, plug drive back in and see if drivers get loaded.

Original Poster

csiman, it doesn't show in disk management, tried unplugging removing drivers but no joy, also weird thing is in my tool bar it says on the safely remove icon this device (names my samsung hd) is working properly!)

Banned

right click on disk management and select RESCAN DISKS

Banned

always make sure you select the SAFELY REMOVE THIS DEVICE before unplugging.

try uninstalling device under device management rather than just unplugging.

under device management right click on drive and see if it states, 'this device is working properly'.

Original Poster

ok done that nothing seems to have happened...

Original Poster

yep says this device is working properly

Banned

tried it on a laptop or different PC?

Strange, if you try to update the driver is it definitely using a mass storage device driver? Does the hard drive sound like it's spinning up properly when you plug it in?

I have seen external hard drives occasionally that are recognised as mass storage but they don't appear in disk management, only showing in device manager (as working fine) and as being able to be stopped although without a drive letter there either. In these cases it's been a hardware fault with either the caddy or the hard drive itself.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      2. Biscuit addiction1231
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?813

See more discussions