External hard drives

Found 11th May
Hi
Please bare with me as I have absolutely no knowledge on the topic.
I have an iPhone 6 16GB and pay the 79p for I cloud storage.
My phone is full and so is my laptop as I have all my sons pictures and videos on. I am wanting to clear my phone but save it all somewhere with easy access where I can print at a shop etc.

Can anyone give me any advice at all please.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
7 Comments
How about one of these amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1 I'm sure you can print from a USB stick in a shop. I have one plugged into my MacBook and use it for files I want to keep but don't need on my MacBook i.e. photos, emails, documents etc.
Beebee181 h, 45 m ago

How about one of these …How about one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017DH3O5A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm sure you can print from a USB stick in a shop. I have one plugged into my MacBook and use it for files I want to keep but don't need on my MacBook i.e. photos, emails, documents etc.

That's usb 3, laptop could be usb 2,so maybe better to get one that does both.
Edited by: "snoopy18" 11th May
snoopy182 h, 24 m ago

That's usb 3, laptop could be usb 2,so maybe better to get one that does …That's usb 3, laptop could be usb 2,so maybe better to get one that does both.

Not aware of any mainstream consumer USB3 items that are not backward compatible to earlier versions.
u can use usb 3.0 on practically any laptop, unless you have 2005’s netbook lol
Hi, it really depends on how much you’re wanting to spend.

USB flash drives you would find for really cheap and a minimum storage of 16gb. this one is ideal tho currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

external hard drives are suitable for those who have massive amounts of pictures and videos. the minimum is 250gb and they range from the size of your hand.

since you mentioned printing at a shop, your best option is a usb flash drive the one I sent a link of. it has 1 year warranty on it as well. it’s very secure, easily accessible and cheap. you can organise your pictures and videos into files so when you print it at a shop you’ll know exactly where it is. however it’s quite small. hope that helped
Suggest two devices to satisfy all your requirements and sensible practice: one USB stick and one external drive.
USB stick should be minimum 16GB capacity to accomodate combination of files from your phone and occasional files to be printed at a shop.
The external drive will act as a backup drive and should be of suitable capacity to accommodate total combination of files from phone + files from laptop + your choice of additional space for future files.
External drive can be a portable drive (powered by your laptop) or external desktop drive (powered by the mains power supply provided with the desktop drive).
When you have copied all your phone and laptop files to the external drive it should ideally be kept at a different location than your phone / USB stick / laptop.
Top-up files to the external drive as and when required.
Consider that if you only have one occurence of a file, you do not have a back up if that one occurence is deleted / corrupted / eaten by an alien.
Consider additional backup option of online storage. If your requirements are modest or you can risk being selective on what you identify as critical "absolutely must be backed-up" files, a lifetime freebie 100GB online storage service may suit you at cloud1.zoolz.co.uk/Off…0GB
Thank you all for your help and advice I will look at all the suggestions and see which suits my needs as like I say I am not very in touch with technology
Edited by: "YellowStar14" 12th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants