External hard drives

Posted 6th Apr
Hello!

Anyone able to give me some guidance on external hard drives?

I want one for photos, files, videos and potentially photoshop files. Not sure of ideal TB because only the photoshop files seem to consume a lot of memory and I don’t know good brands or pricing?

Once I have an idea it would help me keep an eye out for good deals so your help is much appreciated
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
You need to work out how many TB you currently need then at least double it for your current and future needs IMHO

All sizes are discounted over time but I would suggest you buy as big as your budget will allow.

Also bear in mind they can fail so don't put all your eggs in one basket and save anything that is irreplaceable elsewhere too.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 6th Apr
TheBiker06/04/2020 09:11

You need to work out how many TB you currently need then at least double …You need to work out how many TB you currently need then at least double it for your current and future needs IMHOAll sizes are discounted over time but I would suggest you buy as big as your budget will allow.Also bear in mind they can fail so don't put all your eggs in one basket and save anything that is irreplaceable elsewhere too.

So if 1TB would be my double or 2TB for overage I should try buy 2 when there’s a deal? I’ve seen some at around A£50 on here but my mum thought that was much more than she’d paid. Any tips?
I paid £24 for 1tb from wd. It was recerfified and it's been great along with the 2 previous ones i bought from them.
Do you want it to be portal or happy for it to sit at home? Either way have a look at Western Digital Elements. I have used used them for decades without issues.

If you want a portal solution, the drive range in size from 1-5TB. The beauty of these drives is they are small enough to fit in your bag.

hotukdeals.com/dea…199

Desktop solutions are available in sizes 2-14TB. hotukdeals.com/dea…468
Would second the comment about not placing all of your eggs in one basket. I always used to back up my files to 2 hard drives and dvd discs.

I stopped doing this for a short period and guess what?...yep my first ever hard drive failure happened! Lost 1tb of data, including photographs that were quite precious and irreplaceable. Kept the drive to consider sending it off in the future for data recovery, but looking at a high cost to achieve this!

Lesson learned. Back up...to more than 1 location if you can. Lots of software automates the process too. I think even MS have free software for this purpose.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 6th Apr
Diggsy06/04/2020 09:41

Would second the comment about not placing all of your eggs in one basket. …Would second the comment about not placing all of your eggs in one basket. I always used to back up my files to 2 hard drives and dvd discs.I stopped doing this for a short period and guess what?...yep my first ever hard drive failure happened! Lost 1tb of data, including photographs that were quite precious and irreplaceable. Kept the drive to consider sending it off in the future for data recovery, but looking at a high cost to achieve this!Lesson learned. Back up...to more than 1 location if you can. Lots of software automates the process too. I think even MS have free software for this purpose.

Agreed. I use a NAS and external drive periodically but both are in my house. I then use google drive to automatically back up any changed tile to the cloud.
This is all very helpful thank you! I recently damaged a phone and lost everything and then proceeded to somehow lose documents on my laptop so I’m in need of this for sure. I definitely want portable if possible - I move countries more often than my parents appreciate
Stephanie_Noble06/04/2020 10:03

This is all very helpful thank you! I recently damaged a phone and lost …This is all very helpful thank you! I recently damaged a phone and lost everything and then proceeded to somehow lose documents on my laptop so I’m in need of this for sure. I definitely want portable if possible - I move countries more often than my parents appreciate

and just to echo what others have said.
* you have one store which you use on a daily basis
* another physical store close to hand where you keep important backups
* another store physical remote from you but still quite handy where you have backups perhaps a
week/month old (depends on the volatility of your use)
* and finally you have cloud storage which you can access from any device at any time and again
holds copies of your important data. If your data is that important to you then you will pay enough
money to satisfy your needs.

Or you can do what I do. Keep hard copies of every important document, photograph, etc and stick in fireproof safe.
Diggsy06/04/2020 09:41

Would second the comment about not placing all of your eggs in one basket. …Would second the comment about not placing all of your eggs in one basket. I always used to back up my files to 2 hard drives and dvd discs.I stopped doing this for a short period and guess what?...yep my first ever hard drive failure happened! Lost 1tb of data, including photographs that were quite precious and irreplaceable. Kept the drive to consider sending it off in the future for data recovery, but looking at a high cost to achieve this!Lesson learned. Back up...to more than 1 location if you can. Lots of software automates the process too. I think even MS have free software for this purpose.

I am in the same boat. Had an external 500GB Seagate HDD and it has failed me. I am keeping it with me to see if I can retrieve the data later on. Quite gutted though as I did not back this data up and was under the wrong impression that external HDD’s are invincible.
addy201306/04/2020 15:30

I am in the same boat. Had an external 500GB Seagate HDD and it has failed …I am in the same boat. Had an external 500GB Seagate HDD and it has failed me. I am keeping it with me to see if I can retrieve the data later on. Quite gutted though as I did not back this data up and was under the wrong impression that external HDD’s are invincible.

Good luck with it, but if my experience is anything to go by, you have minimal chance of recovering it yourself I’m afraid.

I know mine will have to go to a recovery company. I’m just waiting until a point in time where I can stomach the cost a little better than I can right now
Diggsy06/04/2020 15:32

Good luck with it, but if my experience is anything to go by, you have …Good luck with it, but if my experience is anything to go by, you have minimal chance of recovering it yourself I’m afraid.I know mine will have to go to a recovery company. I’m just waiting until a point in time where I can stomach the cost a little better than I can right now

Yes thank you for the useful information and I could not agree more . I am also thinking of handing it over to the recovery company but at present cannot stomach the current costs associated with the recovery process .
addy201306/04/2020 15:35

Yes thank you for the useful information and I could not agree more . …Yes thank you for the useful information and I could not agree more . I am also thinking of handing it over to the recovery company but at present cannot stomach the current costs associated with the recovery process .

Yeah, it’s definitely a timely (in the harshest way) reminder that there is a new to have backups in at least 2 locations (drives that is, not necessarily physical locations)
Diggsy06/04/2020 15:38

Yeah, it’s definitely a timely (in the harshest way) reminder that there i …Yeah, it’s definitely a timely (in the harshest way) reminder that there is a new to have backups in at least 2 locations (drives that is, not necessarily physical locations)

Hmm true. Harshest and most difficult to digest. Learnt my lesson the hard way.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions