Groups

external hdd, corrupted and unreadable

I've got an external hdd which i keep getting this message, i reformat it, it works for a few days and then this happens again. Is it just a knackered drive?

Anything i can do with it other than bin it?

i don't want to fill it up with stuff only to lose it all

12 Comments

stick it in the freezer for upto a day, and then try it a gain
    yes im serious

based on if all else fails.
    eiter way it will at some point still fail again so its of no use if internal fails

Try mounting it internally and see if it acts the same. Also run some analysis software on it.

Original Poster

Plum;8217236

Try mounting it internally and see if it acts the same. Also run some … Try mounting it internally and see if it acts the same. Also run some analysis software on it.

can't mount it internally, i've got a laptop, any particular software to do this?

souljacker;8217271

can't mount it internally, i've got a laptop, any particular software to … can't mount it internally, i've got a laptop, any particular software to do this?

SMART scan. If you know the make of the drive i.e. WD etc i think most have a tool on their websites to check drives.

bin it,not worth the risk as its on the way out whatever you do

souljacker;8217271

can't mount it internally, i've got a laptop, any particular software to … can't mount it internally, i've got a laptop, any particular software to do this?

I think it's specific to the hard drive or at least the manufacturer.

try ]here

Hey Plum, thanks for the post! Really useful stuff. repped!

Original Poster

Plum;8217324

I think it's specific to the hard drive or at least the manufacturer.try … I think it's specific to the hard drive or at least the manufacturer.try ]here

thanks but mine doesn't appear to be on there, it's a buffalo external hdd

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8217932

buffalo just make the casing, open it up to see what drive is inside

ok, well i found this on their site for my drive and have updated the firmware so i'll see if the helps

buffalo-technology.com/pre…u2/

souljacker;8217939

ok, well i found this on their site for my drive and have updated the … ok, well i found this on their site for my drive and have updated the firmware so i'll see if the helpshttp://www.buffalo-technology.com/press/releases/important-notice-to-customers-using-buffalo-technologys-drivestation-models-hd-ce320u2-hd-ce500u2-hd-ce640u2-hd-ce750u2-and-hd-ce10tu2/

looks promising. Good luck.

Original Poster

Thanks for your help, repped :thumbsup:

dcx_badass;8218191

Stupid comment, one if it's not in a completely sealed bag then it will … Stupid comment, one if it's not in a completely sealed bag then it will get moisture in and break, two, it normally only gives them a few hours life and is not a permanent fix.

yes i did say it was still going to die after. no1 said its a permanent fix.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky Fibre Max22
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4562136
      3. Jeremy Corbyn #traingate1519
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…1011

See more discussions