external hdd for storing data from pc?

Found 25th Jan
any recommendation please? i am clueless.
thanks in advance
Community Updates
10 Comments
Original Poster
ideally 4tb or more
Have you considered storing it in the cloud (from a reputable company)? Slightly more expensive but as hard drives often fail (particularly external ones) which means you’ll probably lose all or some of your data, you would be better off with cloud as your data will be backed up.
What about this portable one (that’s powered by a usb lead rather than wall plug) from Amazon ? then use the BIGTHANKS £10 discount code
I tend to go for the paranoid approach to backing up data after a number of external HDs have failed, so now back up to 2 external drives and the cloud. Tad OTT but worth it so I don't lose anything.
DKLS3 h, 37 m ago

I tend to go for the paranoid approach to backing up data after a number …I tend to go for the paranoid approach to backing up data after a number of external HDs have failed, so now back up to 2 external drives and the cloud. Tad OTT but worth it so I don't lose anything.

Its not OTT at all, sort of thing everyone shoulg be doing.
Original Poster
Toptrumpet11 h, 6 m ago

What about this portable one (that’s powered by a usb lead rather than w …What about this portable one (that’s powered by a usb lead rather than wall plug) from Amazon ? then use the BIGTHANKS £10 discount code

went for this.thanks all
Original Poster
cmdr_elito14 h, 8 m ago

Have you considered storing it in the cloud (from a reputable company)? …Have you considered storing it in the cloud (from a reputable company)? Slightly more expensive but as hard drives often fail (particularly external ones) which means you’ll probably lose all or some of your data, you would be better off with cloud as your data will be backed up.

i still live in the 80s and like all my data local to me
Original Poster
DKLS10 h, 54 m ago

I tend to go for the paranoid approach to backing up data after a number …I tend to go for the paranoid approach to backing up data after a number of external HDs have failed, so now back up to 2 external drives and the cloud. Tad OTT but worth it so I don't lose anything.

i know that feeling
KOGONAI1 h, 31 m ago

i still live in the 80s and like all my data local to me

That’s great but you probably need a synology box if your that serious about storing data reliably with either backup to cloud or data backed up to another building in case of fire/theft. Hope you encrypt your data too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants