External junction boxes

Found 23rd Mar
Could someone pleas point me to some external junction boxes will will be ok for 6mm 3 core steel wire armoured cable please?
I was told to get these but some people are saying they are not suitable!!
amazon.co.uk/Wea…JOI

Any help would be appreciated,,,

I am putting electrics into a summerhouse/shed what I am currently building...
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Extending electrics to an outdoor building. That is Part P work covered by Building Regs. It's a but like connecting your own gas piping instead of using a qualified gas man.
I would of thought that you would need to have a dedicated shielded cable installed from the consumer unit and run to the summer house, I would not recommend joining into an existing cable with a junction box, waterproof or otherwise.
Original Poster
ccnp2 h, 0 m ago

Extending electrics to an outdoor building. That is Part P work covered …Extending electrics to an outdoor building. That is Part P work covered by Building Regs. It's a but like connecting your own gas piping instead of using a qualified gas man.

I aint doing it, I am getting the parts
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog1 h, 46 m ago

I would of thought that you would need to have a dedicated shielded cable …I would of thought that you would need to have a dedicated shielded cable installed from the consumer unit and run to the summer house, I would not recommend joining into an existing cable with a junction box, waterproof or otherwise.

I am running from house consumer unit to a consumer unit in the summer house...
poolielad8 m ago

I am running from house consumer unit to a consumer unit in the summer …I am running from house consumer unit to a consumer unit in the summer house...

So why do you need a junction box, surely you'll just wire the cable straight into the consumer unit?
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog11 m ago

So why do you need a junction box, surely you'll just wire the cable …So why do you need a junction box, surely you'll just wire the cable straight into the consumer unit?

I dont know. I have just been told I would need then?? I thought my myself it was just a matter of wiring into consumer unit, then run cable to shed consumer unit!!!
Original Poster
andynicol1 m ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Resin-Underground-Armoured-Cable-Joint/dp/B0095VSUG6

I dont need to join it!!
poolielad18 m ago

I dont need to join it!!

You don't know what you need, you don't know why you need it, but you do know you don't want to join the cable.....

You need to provide more information, then possibly some can advise accordingly.
I'm confused! I'd ask for a full kit list as you'll only end up missing something and then the job won't get completed on time.

Tlc-direct.co.uk are pretty good if you go into the counter and tell them what you're (or somebody else) is tryimg to do and they tell you what you need
poolielad1 h, 18 m ago

I dont need to join it!!

So what do you want a junction box for if you're not joining cable?.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 23rd Mar
ScubaDudes17 m ago

So what do you want a junction box for if you're not joining cable?.

Bragging rights
If anything demonstrates why Part P exists, this is it. 'Don't know but that isn't going to stop me'
darlodge15 h, 39 m ago

I'm confused! I'd ask for a full kit list as you'll only end up missing …I'm confused! I'd ask for a full kit list as you'll only end up missing something and then the job won't get completed on time.Tlc-direct.co.uk are pretty good if you go into the counter and tell them what you're (or somebody else) is tryimg to do and they tell you what you need

Not when they realise they are talking to someone who is spec'ing Part P work without a clue. Which isn't a surprise

Wonder (not) who will get the blame when something isn't right
Armoured cable is not usually connected straight into the consumer unit just because it’s difficult to handle.

usually twin and earth is terminated from your consumer to a wall box (like a waterproof connection unit), then the armoured cable is then connected to that and ran to where it needs to go.

something like this: screwfix.com/p/m…892
mds12561 h, 33 m ago

Armoured cable is not usually connected straight into the consumer unit …Armoured cable is not usually connected straight into the consumer unit just because it’s difficult to handle.usually twin and earth is terminated from your consumer to a wall box (like a waterproof connection unit), then the armoured cable is then connected to that and ran to where it needs to go.something like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-junction-box-4-terminal/57892

Your saying SWA would be easier to connect inside a junction box as you've linked as opposed to inside a consumer unit?

I'd say it'd be more difficult, with the junction box having less room for cables.

When you say 'usually' T&E from consumer unit to a junction box holding the SWA - I have never, ever, came across this, always the SWA goes straight into the consumer unit.
andynicol28 m ago

Your saying SWA would be easier to connect inside a junction box as you've …Your saying SWA would be easier to connect inside a junction box as you've linked as opposed to inside a consumer unit?I'd say it'd be more difficult, with the junction box having less room for cables.When you say 'usually' T&E from consumer unit to a junction box holding the SWA - I have never, ever, came across this, always the SWA goes straight into the consumer unit.

It is more the fact of running the armoured cable throughout the house back to the consumer is more difficult that twin and earth.

my new build has this, twin and earth to a termination box and then shielded to the garage.

also a recent refurb of a family’s house which they wanted power to the garage was also done the same way and was by a totally different sparky.

Not saying it shouldn’t be done but it’s cheaper and easier to run 10+ meters of twin and earth throughout the house to the consumer unit than wrestling with shielded cable
Edited by: "mds1256" 24th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants