External SSD advice please

Posted 17th Jan
I'm completely out of my comfort zone on fully understanding what to order.

I am interested in WD Blue SN500 High-Performance NVMe Internal NVMe SSD - 500GB but Amazon advises to buy the newer and cheaper WD Blue SN550 500GB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD

I have MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

I would like to buy one of the above drives, but also would like an external SSD enclosure.

Any recommendations on the drive choice (to me the cheaper, newer one seems like the obvious choice), but more importantly the correct required enclosure so that there's no un-necessary bottleneck

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

10 Comments
What is the usage going to be for the drive? (Why no bottleneck?)
It's going to be used for RAW file editing using both Capture One & Photoshop both photo editing software. My laptop only has 256gb capacity and the price to pay on a Mac is there is nothing I can do about that now. With regard to bottleneck I can only assume one would try to avoid it if at all possible.

My intention is to put images from camera SD to Mac temporarily, then copy to this external device. I'll then format SD card and save a copy to cloud and another HDD for storage and then delete from Mac
Edited by: "OllieSt" 17th Jan
the newer WD Blue SN550 has better read and write speeds so i would go with that myself.
OllieSt17/01/2020 09:19

It's going to be used for RAW file editing using both Capture One & …It's going to be used for RAW file editing using both Capture One & Photoshop both photo editing software. My laptop only has 256gb capacity and the price to pay on a Mac is there is nothing I can do about that now. With regard to bottleneck I can only assume one would try to avoid it if at all possible.My intention is to put images from camera SD to Mac temporarily, then copy to this external device. I'll then format SD card and save a copy to cloud and another HDD for storage and then delete from Mac

I just asked about the bottleneck because I was wondering what you were using it for as I didn't know if you were using it for simply storage (in which case the solution is very expensive and overkill as the enclosure and tech necessitates cooling)or what you've said which I think is editing the files whilst on the ssd. Why not just edit them on the mac then when finished transfer to an ssd for quick access later or an hdd for long term storage. (Surely the transfers from sd card then over to other storage will eat up your time and working direct from mac disk wont slow you down?) Just putting it out there in case a rethink of your usage will save you money (I may be missing something!)
colinged17/01/2020 10:55

I just asked about the bottleneck because I was wondering what you were …I just asked about the bottleneck because I was wondering what you were using it for as I didn't know if you were using it for simply storage (in which case the solution is very expensive and overkill as the enclosure and tech necessitates cooling)or what you've said which I think is editing the files whilst on the ssd. Why not just edit them on the mac then when finished transfer to an ssd for quick access later or an hdd for long term storage. (Surely the transfers from sd card then over to other storage will eat up your time and working direct from mac disk wont slow you down?) Just putting it out there in case a rethink of your usage will save you money (I may be missing something!)

Actually what happens is that the originals reside on the external drive (think of them as old film negatives). Obviously that increases every time I add a new image. Capture One produces a much smaller ‘catalogue’ file of all of those images (it’s 1 large file [40gb at the moment] containing all adjustments made to all the images) which is ever increasing. As an image is edited the information is updated on the catalogue file. However once any individual image from that catalogue file is outputted it then creates a separate image file which is then saved to ‘wherever’. I can’t keep all that info on my MacBook internal drive so my thoughts were to have the RAW file on the external drive, the catalogue on my Mac and the outputted file sent to the external drive. That way the external drive will have the RAW file and it’s corresponding corrected image right next to each other in a particular folder/file structure. I also intend to have a copy of the 40gb catalogue file on my Mac synced to the new external drive.

It is possible to do all the editing to an image in Capture One utilising the catalogue file even if it’s corresponding RAW file is not present at the time (so external drive not plugged in), but it wouldn’t be my preference.

It’s also with me mentioning that a small form factor is quite important to me.

Perhaps I’m barking up the wrong tree on what I should be doing with my workflow but there is no real right or wrong. All I know is when I get to the situation where I have loads of images to deal with I end up doing nothing.

Hopefully I’ve explained myself properly.
OllieSt17/01/2020 11:59

Actually what happens is that the originals reside on the external drive …Actually what happens is that the originals reside on the external drive (think of them as old film negatives). Obviously that increases every time I add a new image. Capture One produces a much smaller ‘catalogue’ file of all of those images (it’s 1 large file [40gb at the moment] containing all adjustments made to all the images) which is ever increasing. As an image is edited the information is updated on the catalogue file. However once any individual image from that catalogue file is outputted it then creates a separate image file which is then saved to ‘wherever’. I can’t keep all that info on my MacBook internal drive so my thoughts were to have the RAW file on the external drive, the catalogue on my Mac and the outputted file sent to the external drive. That way the external drive will have the RAW file and it’s corresponding corrected image right next to each other in a particular folder/file structure. I also intend to have a copy of the 40gb catalogue file on my Mac synced to the new external drive. It is possible to do all the editing to an image in Capture One utilising the catalogue file even if it’s corresponding RAW file is not present at the time (so external drive not plugged in), but it wouldn’t be my preference. It’s also with me mentioning that a small form factor is quite important to me. Perhaps I’m barking up the wrong tree on what I should be doing with my workflow but there is no real right or wrong. All I know is when I get to the situation where I have loads of images to deal with I end up doing nothing.Hopefully I’ve explained myself properly.

Thanks for explaining that, I have no knowledge of photo editing so that was a good description thanks. I found this page which may be of separate but related interest to you and possibly free space on your mac packafoma.com/blo…ve/
colinged17/01/2020 13:22

Thanks for explaining that, I have no knowledge of photo editing so that …Thanks for explaining that, I have no knowledge of photo editing so that was a good description thanks. I found this page which may be of separate but related interest to you and possibly free space on your mac https://www.packafoma.com/blog/2018/10/29/how-to-move-capture-one-preview-cache-to-external-drive/

Yeah I know about that, but in reality it's dealing with 40gb albeit growing in size. I've got 2 x 64gb SD cards in my camera so it's not the main issue for me.

I've kind of made my decision, it was just info on what enclosure to pair up with the drive whilst making sure that I am able to take full advantage of thunderbird 3 connection
I think if you have made your decision for Thunderbird 3 (are go!) Then the enclosure will cost you as most will limit to 3.1gen2 -i cant even find a selection of them!. So would be looking at a pre built enclosed tb3 like the x5 or considering a drop down to ssd with a enclosure with a limit.
colinged17/01/2020 14:37

I think if you have made your decision for Thunderbird 3 (are go!) Then …I think if you have made your decision for Thunderbird 3 (are go!) Then the enclosure will cost you as most will limit to 3.1gen2 -i cant even find a selection of them!. So would be looking at a pre built enclosed tb3 like the x5 or considering a drop down to ssd with a enclosure with a limit.

Thanks for you assistance, it's this area that I struggle.

Is below not taking full advantage of Thunderbird 3, and if it's not taking full advantage of T3, should I be looking at a slower drive?

Capable of read and write speeds of over 900 MBps, depending on the SSD used, and when connected to a Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.1 Gen 2 port.

EDIT: Samsung X5 is a crazy price
Exactly, although it mentions TB3 it is saying it can give you those speeds because TB3 supports the lower speed (it could go faster but interface is limiting). I wouldn't even entertain an x5 lol but thought I'd put it out there if you wanted true TB3. If it was me I would be looking at a slower drive if price is better however what you've got with the sn550 is a good drive with a good price! Cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants