Groups

External tap with double check valve

Banned
    Could the valve cause the pressure to drop significantly? I have a sprinkler that barely works off the external tap, but if I connect it directly to the mains (my bad) it's as powerful as I remember from being a kid.

5 Comments

Hi,

Where does your external tap connect to in terms of your household plumbing? .. some properties will have pressure reducing valves to reduce down to approx 3-3.5 Bar which could affect your sprinkler. I have exactly the same - two external taps, one off the mains directly before any household plumbing (very powerful .. 5+ Bar) and another off kitchen plumbing (shared between dishwasher, washing machine, sink etc) which is a lot lower pressure and would be useless for a hose or sprinkler.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Original Poster Banned

Jasonl;5667229

Hi,Where does your external tap connect to in terms of your household … Hi,Where does your external tap connect to in terms of your household plumbing? .. some properties will have pressure reducing valves to reduce down to approx 3-3.5 Bar which could affect your sprinkler. I have exactly the same - two external taps, one off the mains directly before any household plumbing (very powerful .. 5+ Bar) and another off kitchen plumbing (shared between dishwasher, washing machine, sink etc) which is a lot lower pressure and would be useless for a hose or sprinkler.Hope this helpsCheers

It connects to the kitchen plumbing it's one of those DIY ones that screws into the copper pipe, but if I attach the hose to the tap next to it the pressure is fine so it's something to do with the DIY connection.

lumoruk;5667767

It connects to the kitchen plumbing it's one of those DIY ones that … It connects to the kitchen plumbing it's one of those DIY ones that screws into the copper pipe, but if I attach the hose to the tap next to it the pressure is fine so it's something to do with the DIY connection.

Thats probably your problem, over time the inner screw which breaks through the copper pipe corrodes causing a blockage. :thumbsup:

cuzzy;5667954

Thats probably your problem, over time the inner screw which breaks … Thats probably your problem, over time the inner screw which breaks through the copper pipe corrodes causing a blockage. :thumbsup:

Yup - When the screw cuts into the copper pipe it will sometimes leave a circular piece of metal at a right angle to the pipe (on the inside) which restricts the flow. You may be able to sort it by screwing it in a bit more and then back out again, but be careful not to screw in too far or you'll be through the other side of the copper pipe!

Good Luck!

Original Poster Banned

Jasonl;5669467

Yup - When the screw cuts into the copper pipe it will sometimes leave a … Yup - When the screw cuts into the copper pipe it will sometimes leave a circular piece of metal at a right angle to the pipe (on the inside) which restricts the flow. You may be able to sort it by screwing it in a bit more and then back out again, but be careful not to screw in too far or you'll be through the other side of the copper pipe!Good Luck!

best to turn the mains off first then :whistling: thanks will give it a whirl tomorrow
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions