External wireless security cameras - advice please

Found 8th MarEdited by:"dwl99"
I am looking to buy a couple of wireless IP cameras and would appreciate some recommendations. Here are my thoughts so far:
  • ONVIF compatible, not shackled to some random Chinese vendor's app
  • 1080p
  • at least IP66 waterproof rating
  • night vision
The closest I've found so far is the YI Outdoor Surveillance Camera which is not ONVIF compatible and depends on the Yi Home app. It is also only IP65 rated.

Someone recommended a Dahua IPC-HFW1320S-W on another thread and it seems to tick most of the boxes but it's not a brand I've come across before.

Thanks!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
6 Comments
Why USB and not PSU?
I just got a cheap floureon PTZ which I put up this weekend, happy with it so far.
Original Poster
123thisisme13 m ago

Why USB and not PSU?I just got a cheap floureon PTZ which I put up this …Why USB and not PSU?I just got a cheap floureon PTZ which I put up this weekend, happy with it so far.

I guess I could live with a PSU!
The one I bought was this one. I wanted one that I could easily move the viewing angle dependent on where my motorbike is parked. It was on lightning deal a couple of days ago for £76 (I paid £90). I works fine, I can view the camera from my phone and even use the PTZ function whilst sat in work.

Edit: I also bought a power extension cable for £3.
Edited by: "123thisisme" 8th Mar
123thisisme2 m ago

The one I bought was this one. I wanted one that I could easily move the …The one I bought was this one. I wanted one that I could easily move the viewing angle dependent on where my motorbike is parked. It was on lightning deal a couple of days ago for £76 (I paid £90). I works fine, I can view the camera from my phone and even use the PTZ function whilst sat in work.Edit: I also bought a power extension cable for £3.

Hi, do you record the output, how easy was it to set up and maintain recorded data?
davewave13 m ago

Hi, do you record the output, how easy was it to set up and maintain …Hi, do you record the output, how easy was it to set up and maintain recorded data?

It records to SD card, I put a 32GB one in that I had lying around as the 64GB one didn't turn up in time. I have it on permanent record during the day (15 minute files) and motion detect of a night. I looks like Its using about 2GB a day, when the card is full it will record over the oldest video. The app that comes with it could be better but Im getting more used to it, you can for example set and recall positions. It comes with PC software also but I havent used that yet. It was really easy to set up, just need to connect it to your router via cable and set up wifi access, just inputing you wifi password.
123thisisme4 m ago

It records to SD card, I put a 32GB one in that I had lying around as the …It records to SD card, I put a 32GB one in that I had lying around as the 64GB one didn't turn up in time. I have it on permanent record during the day (15 minute files) and motion detect of a night. I looks like Its using about 2GB a day, when the card is full it will record over the oldest video. The app that comes with it could be better but Im getting more used to it, you can for example set and recall positions. It comes with PC software also but I havent used that yet. It was really easy to set up, just need to connect it to your router via cable and set up wifi access, just inputing you wifi password.

Thanks vm, very useful advice and recommendation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants