Extra stamp duty

Found 5th Jun
Has anyone bought a new home and had to pay the extra 3% stamp duty but claimed it back after the sale of their existing main residence?

I would be interested to know if anyone has had experience of doing this and whether it was easy and quick to claim the money back?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I know there is a 36 month rule for a rebate but have no experience of using it. I also understand you cant just elect/flip main residence as the Westminster Scroungers entitle themselves to do. There needs to be a degree of proven residency.
ccnp6 m ago

I know there is a 36 month rule for a rebate but have no experience of …I know there is a 36 month rule for a rebate but have no experience of using it. I also understand you cant just elect/flip main residence as the Westminster Scroungers entitle themselves to do. There needs to be a degree of proven residency.

Yes, there is 3 years to claim the money back so it is a decent amount of time but I have no idea what the process involves. How complicated or how long it takes to get the money back.

HMRC has tightened up the main residence election in recent years so you can no longer just elect, but must prove that it was your main residence.
Ask your conveyancing solicitor.
Had a solicitor do it for a client, was extremely straight forward.

On a side note, I don't believe it's stamp duty, something like additional dwelling supliment with regard to land and buildings transaction tax, or something pretty similar.

Edit: Scottish legislation.
Edited by: "ibblackberry1" 6th Jun
ibblackberry131 m ago

Had a solicitor do it for a client, was extremely straight forward.On a …Had a solicitor do it for a client, was extremely straight forward.On a side note, I don't believe it's stamp duty, something like additional dwelling supliment with regard to land and buildings transaction tax, or something pretty similar.

it's called extra stamp duty on the stamp duty form that i have been given. i googled the claim process and it would appear you have to complete a HMRC form to claim the money back. i haven't actually seen the form so don't know if it is complicated or simple, but it would appear that you can do it yourself without the need for employing a solicitor.

i don't know how long it takes to get the money back though as i think HMRC is inundated with claims at the moment.
mutley121 h, 44 m ago

it's called extra stamp duty on the stamp duty form that i have been …it's called extra stamp duty on the stamp duty form that i have been given. i googled the claim process and it would appear you have to complete a HMRC form to claim the money back. i haven't actually seen the form so don't know if it is complicated or simple, but it would appear that you can do it yourself without the need for employing a solicitor.i don't know how long it takes to get the money back though as i think HMRC is inundated with claims at the moment.

I answered from a Scottish perspective in error, anyways the supliment is straight forward to reclaim.
ibblackberry17 m ago

I answered from a Scottish perspective in error, anyways the supliment is …I answered from a Scottish perspective in error, anyways the supliment is straight forward to reclaim.

my solicitor confirmed that i can claim the extra stamp duty back myself and she can send me the form to claim it. so all good.

you don't happen to know how long it took HMRC to refund the money after receipt of the claim do you? i am not aware of how things work in scotland, whether stamp duty is also dealt with by HMRC?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants