Extra UK warranty for cheap chinese import.

Found 27th Mar
Hello everyone,

Like many of us there is no protection or cover when we buy items from Ali Express, Gearbest and other Chinese sites when the item is faulty. Sending it back to China and not having the item for weeks is a pain and may not even worth the effort.

I am wondering if there is an existing solution for this pain or if HUKD users would like a UK base repair or warranty assistance?
Thank you in advance
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I wouldn't mind paying an 'Admin Fee' of some kind if a company would take the pain out of getting a warranty repair.
Any saving you make probaby gey wiped out by the cost of the warranty.
May as well but from here.
That would be a great idea , however it would presumably have to be insurance based (Another chance to rip off customers ? like a Currys extended warranty ? ). This would then probably wipe out the money you saved buying from one of these sellers in the first place .

One of the reasons these Chinese deals are so cheap is that they don't have to spend money on pesky items like customer care , returns , fixing failed or DOA items etc
Edited by: "rogparki" 27th Mar
rogparki6 m ago

That would be a great idea , however it would presumably have to be …That would be a great idea , however it would presumably have to be insurance based (Another chance to rip off customers ? like a Currys extended warranty ? ). This would then probably wipe out the money you saved buying from one of these sellers in the first place .One of the reasons these Chinese deals are so cheap is that they don't have to spend money on pesky items like customer care , returns , fixing failed or DOA items etc

You get what you pay for in life. I never understand people who buy cheap stuff then expect all the extra stuff with it if a problem occurs. Nothing wrong with buying cheap stuff if you choose to, but people need to be realistic with their expectations.
I agree entirely, I have no problems buying from China but I understand that there is no comeback and I'm prepared to take that risk, I took a chance on a Xiaomi phone and it's been great so far and even if it only lasts twelve months I'll still probably buy another as it will still work out cheaper than some of the ridiculously priced flagship phones (which I've always gone for in the past) around at the moment.
deleted79467
be aware that most of the companies that offer insurance will not touch phones purchased from overseas
rogparki1 h, 45 m ago

That would be a great idea , however it would presumably have to be …That would be a great idea , however it would presumably have to be insurance based (Another chance to rip off customers ? like a Currys extended warranty ? ). This would then probably wipe out the money you saved buying from one of these sellers in the first place .One of the reasons these Chinese deals are so cheap is that they don't have to spend money on pesky items like customer care , returns , fixing failed or DOA items etc

Pesky? I haven't heard that since the old cartoons
mattmerch29 m ago

be aware that most of the companies that offer insurance will not touch …be aware that most of the companies that offer insurance will not touch phones purchased from overseas

That's why I'm looking into this, I'm liason with manufacturers to get this in the UK. Its tons of commitment so I'm doing my research.
The main reason for importing from China is that it's cheaper. If there was an extended UK warranty option it would only work out if it was really cheap to add on the cover - so that the item + warranty still works out cheaper than an equivalent item bought in the UK.
deleted79467
Joey.Bloggsy4 h, 30 m ago

Any saving you make probaby gey wiped out by the cost of the warranty.May …Any saving you make probaby gey wiped out by the cost of the warranty.May as well but from here.

+1
jamie0154 h, 8 m ago

The main reason for importing from China is that it's cheaper. If there …The main reason for importing from China is that it's cheaper. If there was an extended UK warranty option it would only work out if it was really cheap to add on the cover - so that the item + warranty still works out cheaper than an equivalent item bought in the UK.

Exactly, the Chinese sellers don't spend money providing a support system, or it's considerably simpler than well known brands (which often aren't that great either) - it takes a load of money to provide a good after sales support system and that has to be funded by the sale of the product.
Unfortunately you can't have it both, you either pay less and take the risk or you pay more and have local service and consumer protection.

Also consider that the Chinese sellers don't actually care about after sales service and don't want to spend millions setting something up for no reward, they want a quick hassle free sale and will not lose sleep if your product fails and you never buy from them again because millions of others will continue to buy.
Edited by: "spannerzone" 27th Mar
spannerzone35 m ago

Exactly, the Chinese sellers don't spend money providing a support system, …Exactly, the Chinese sellers don't spend money providing a support system, or it's considerably simpler than well known brands (which often aren't that great either) - it takes a load of money to provide a good after sales support system and that has to be funded by the sale of the product.Unfortunately you can't have it both, you either pay less and take the risk or you pay more and have local service and consumer protection.Also consider that the Chinese sellers don't actually care about after sales service and don't want to spend millions setting something up for no reward, they want a quick hassle free sale and will not lose sleep if your product fails and you never buy from them again because millions of others will continue to buy.

Yep, after sales is dire. For example, Gearbest have live chat only for presale, but once you make a purchase you are forced to open a support ticket.

Had a problem with LITB and they 'kindly' told me to wait for my shipment for longer and longer everytime. Had to do a PayPal claim before they refunded.

This is why I want Xiaomi to come to the UK. They've entered Spain and now Portugal so hopefully we'll be next!
Any warranty from any merchant based in any location is automatically replicated in UK if the merchant accepted the payment directly via UK credit card for any single item(s) over £100. Section 75 protection requires the UK credit provider to fulfill the delivery, warranty and any other obligations of the merchant; this is not an option, it is a legal requirement. So merchants such as Gearbest, LITB, Eglobalcentral etc effectively have their merchant warranties serviced ex-UK with zero requirement to ever contact or involve the original merchant. AliExpress purchases will likely not qualify for S75 as the payment does not / may not be made directly to the merchant. Summary of S75 here: moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ses
AndyRoyd9 h, 24 m ago

Any warranty from any merchant based in any location is automatically …Any warranty from any merchant based in any location is automatically replicated in UK if the merchant accepted the payment directly via UK credit card for any single item(s) over £100. Section 75 protection requires the UK credit provider to fulfill the delivery, warranty and any other obligations of the merchant; this is not an option, it is a legal requirement. So merchants such as Gearbest, LITB, Eglobalcentral etc effectively have their merchant warranties serviced ex-UK with zero requirement to ever contact or involve the original merchant. AliExpress purchases will likely not qualify for S75 as the payment does not / may not be made directly to the merchant. Summary of S75 here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Good point about section 75 covering overseas purchases... I guess if you need to use it you'd get a refund as section 75 doesn't give an actual repair facility as far as I can see.
spannerzone14 m ago

Good point about section 75 covering overseas purchases... I guess if you …Good point about section 75 covering overseas purchases... I guess if you need to use it you'd get a refund as section 75 doesn't give an actual repair facility as far as I can see.

S75 requires the UK credit provider to replicate the merchant obligations, including warranty. If the credit provider chooses not to consider a warranty repair, a refund should be sufficient to discharge the merchant warranty obligations, where ownership of the defective product may then transfer to the credit provider. I once had an S75 claim where the credit co instructed me to send the defective item back to the original merchant for repair. I said I would sent it to the credit co's UK registered office for repair as S75 treats the credit co as the merchant. I was given full refund without further comms and without sending the defective kit anywhere.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants