Extract data from Internal Hard Drive

Found 2nd Dec 2017
My desktop PC randomly shuts down automatcially without any warning and I have to remove the Kettle lead and plug back in for it to start back up but then it shuts down again randomly in couple of minutes. I am not sure where the issue lies. Tried to clean any dust. Checked everything is fitted in correctly. I have also tired a different kettle lead to no avail. I have read the issue could lie to the actual power supply in the PC. Not sure how accurate that is unless someone can advise?

In the meantime I want to extract the data from the hard drive in the PC to my laptop? Please can someone advise how? I seen some USB to SATA HD on ebay but not sure if that will do.

The Hard drive is a Maxtor Diamondmax 21 3.5" SATA hard drive.

Motherboard is: Asus P5KPL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Ash
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Pretty much any of the SATA to USB converters would do the job but if you have access to another desktop it will be faster to just plug it into that.
Before you pull it apart though, have you tried booting into safe mode as this may get you around software derived crashing and at least give you access to the drive?
It does sounds like the power supply. As mentioned in the reply above either add it as an extra drive to another computer or buy some sata to usb cables to plug it into a pc or laptop and get your data off.

If your on a budget and your pc is older something like this may be good enough. novatech.co.uk/pro…tml

Worth checking the connectors match though.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 2nd Dec 2017
Original Poster
cmdr_elito6 m ago

It does sounds like the power supply. As mentioned in the reply above …It does sounds like the power supply. As mentioned in the reply above either add it as an extra drive to another computer or buy some sata to usb cables to plug it into a pc or laptop and get your data off.If your on a budget and your pc is older something like this may be good enough. https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/novatech-500w-atx-power-supply/nov-psu500.htmlWorth checking the connectors match though.

Will the following do:

ebay.co.uk/itm…-IM
Original Poster
parsimony43 m ago

Pretty much any of the SATA to USB converters would do the job but if you …Pretty much any of the SATA to USB converters would do the job but if you have access to another desktop it will be faster to just plug it into that.Before you pull it apart though, have you tried booting into safe mode as this may get you around software derived crashing and at least give you access to the drive?

Actually havent tried booting in safe mode. Defoinately worth a try and will try it out. Do think its a issue with the PSU. Will any PSU do the job? Or do I need one that fits my motherboard? Asus P5KPL.
asfak28 m ago

Actually havent tried booting in safe mode. Defoinately worth a try and …Actually havent tried booting in safe mode. Defoinately worth a try and will try it out. Do think its a issue with the PSU. Will any PSU do the job? Or do I need one that fits my motherboard? Asus P5KPL.

asus.com/Mot…ns/
Your motherboard needs a 24 pin and 4 pin 12v connectors (listed under internal connectors) just make sure whatever you buy has those.

The one I linked does have those connectors the 24 pin is a 20pin and a 4 pin which clip together to make a 24pin, but you may find something cheaper elsewhere. I would recommend at least a 500w power supply particularly if buying a cheaper power supply as these only run at the stated value at peak and will comfortably only run something at 350-400w constantly.

If your running a power hungry graphics card like a Radeon 290 then you will need something far higher around 800w.
asfak1 h, 39 m ago

Actually havent tried booting in safe mode. Defoinately worth a try and …Actually havent tried booting in safe mode. Defoinately worth a try and will try it out. Do think its a issue with the PSU. Will any PSU do the job? Or do I need one that fits my motherboard? Asus P5KPL.

If you have a hardware problem causing the reset it could be down to any one of a number of components including motherboard, processor, memory and power supply along with any peripherals you might happen to have plugged in.
Fault-finding involves a process of elimination so you start with the simplest things first.
asfak8 h, 42 m ago

Will the following …Will the following do:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-To-SATA-22-Pin-2-5-Inch-Hard-Disk-Drive-SSD-Adapter-Connector-Cable-Lead/112359040139?hash=item1a291ee48b:g:~6wAAOSwVqlaH-IM

Nope, for a desktop hard drive you need one that comes with a power supply.

1. USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE data transfer kit with UK power supply for 2.5" and 3.5" hard drives/SSDs - £7.59 delivered

or

2. USB 3.0 to SATA docking station for 2.5" 3.5" hard drives/SSDs - £7.49 delivered

Edited by: "SUMMONER" 2nd Dec 2017
Original Poster
Brilliant.. Will buy the first one. however will this fit in my Maxtor diamondmax 21 500gb HD?

Will also buy the PSU which you have sent. fingers crossed it fits in my motherboard. although the pins do look slightly differentt to the one I have right now.
asfak15 m ago

Will buy the first one. however will this fit in my Maxtor diamondmax 21 …Will buy the first one. however will this fit in my Maxtor diamondmax 21 500gb HD?

The first adapter kit will work with both ancient IDE/PATA hard drives as well as any SATA ones. The 2nd one (the docking station) on the other hand will work with SATA drives only.

If you have no IDE/PATA drives any more I would suggest buying the 2nd one (the docking station), as its form factor is much neater and it can also achieve higher transfer speeds if your laptop has USB 3.0 ports.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 2nd Dec 2017
Original Poster
32632220-TQgU1.jpg

This is the current setup of the PSU . Will the one cmdr_elito sent work or be the same as this?
Original Poster
cmdr_elito18 h, 20 m ago

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KPL/specifications/Your motherboard …https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KPL/specifications/Your motherboard needs a 24 pin and 4 pin 12v connectors (listed under internal connectors) just make sure whatever you buy has those. The one I linked does have those connectors the 24 pin is a 20pin and a 4 pin which clip together to make a 24pin, but you may find something cheaper elsewhere. I would recommend at least a 500w power supply particularly if buying a cheaper power supply as these only run at the stated value at peak and will comfortably only run something at 350-400w constantly.If your running a power hungry graphics card like a Radeon 290 then you will need something far higher around 800w.

32633694-bBZVb.jpg

This is the current setup of the PSU . Will the one you sent work or be the same as this? And easy to fit?
Original Poster
asfak1 h, 17 m ago

[Image] This is the current setup of the PSU . Will the one you sent work …[Image] This is the current setup of the PSU . Will the one you sent work or be the same as this? And easy to fit?

Sorry forgot to mention I also need a connector to the CPU, 2 connectors to the DPD driver, Sata cable for the HD. So will the PSU be fit for purpose?
asfak9 h, 17 m ago

Sorry forgot to mention I also need a connector to the CPU, 2 connectors …Sorry forgot to mention I also need a connector to the CPU, 2 connectors to the DPD driver, Sata cable for the HD. So will the PSU be fit for purpose?

The picture you have taken shows the 24 pin connector, your current one is a 20 + 4 pin so is compatible.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 3rd Dec 2017
32637622-Ln58v.jpg
32637624-ml5tp.jpg
From website....
Original Poster
cmdr_elito29 m ago

From website....

Brilliant. Ordered... Hopefully get it delivered by Wednesday will keep you posted. Thank you very much for all your help :-)
Your computer could be overheating, download and install
piriform.com/spe…oad and right back what temperatures you have for CPU/Motherboard/HDD
Original Poster
regretful13 h, 38 m ago

Your computer could be overheating, download and …Your computer could be overheating, download and installhttps://www.piriform.com/speccy/download and right back what temperatures you have for CPU/Motherboard/HDD

Issue I have is the computer does not stay on for that long for me to able to download the software. Once the new PSU gets delivered and it still happens then I think it will be am issue with the motherboard. I have unplugged all other peripherals but still happens.
Probably a bit late now, but you shouldn't buy new parts (and, people, you shouldn't advise people to buy new parts) until you've completed basic diagnostics. Questions that should have been asked include:

How does it shut down? Does it lose power, or does Windows trigger a shutdown event?

If it's shutting down, what does the event log say?

Does the issue occur outwith Windows? Say, on the Bios setup?

What is the system doing when it shuts down? Is it under load? Is it random?

What have you done to rule out internal / external factors? Disconnecting components / peripherals? Did anything change around the time the issue began?

A new psu *may* fix the issue. It's a shot in the dark over whether it will, though.
I am not even sure why they are bothering to diagnose the faults of a Core 2 (or older) class system in first place.

Just buy an ex-corporate workstation for < £150 off Ebay and transfer the data over to it.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 4th Dec 2017
Original Poster
Just to give you an update.. Received the PSU today and the PC is back up and running!! Thanks all for the help :-)
Original Poster
cmdr_elito3rd Dec

From website....

Thank you for all the help. Got the PSU and all is working fine :-)
asfak3 h, 10 m ago

Just to give you an update.. Received the PSU today and the PC is back up …Just to give you an update.. Received the PSU today and the PC is back up and running!! Thanks all for the help :-)

Pleased it’s working ok and the PSU solved the issue!! To address some of the comments from some others. The type of fault put forward by the OP is in my experience working in IT for many years (and still do) is nearly always a PSU, in terms of replacing parts a non branded PSU for use in an older system which isn’t going to have the requirements of a newer system in terms of power draw is one of the cheapest parts to replace for new and will keep an older system going for many years which is why I suggested it. As for purchasing some other junk from eBay, do that at your peril, you don’t know how that has been treated or what condition that equipment has been subjected to and in reality it is a more expensive option which would likely require a power supply replacement within a short time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants