Extractor fan blown? (excuse the pun)

Found 24th Sep 2017
Ok so extractor fan in bathroom was working all of a sudden all the lights and extractor fan go off, go to fuse box turn themback on but fans not working. Any help on what this my be and how to fix I would be extremely grateful. The fan is quite a powerful one from memory and it turns on with the lights as long as the fan switch is also turned on as well. So basically outside the bathroom theres a fan switch on/off and light switch. The Fan switch does not have a section in the front to remove a fuse. Any help gratefully received.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
As the fuse has blown (or the mcb had tripped) then it is probable that there has been an electrical short somewhere on the fan circuit - probably on the fan pcb board. Note the two 'probable's - as cause cannot be precisely determined without inspection.

If it is a short on the pcb then the fan is not likely to be repairable and you will need to replace.

Only obvious simple thing to check is that all the wiring connections at the light ceiling rose, the fan switch and at the fan are all tight and not loose. This is unlikely but worth checking before investing in a new fan!
Sounds like the fan is gone they are pretty cheap so best just to replace , if not sure get an electrician out to sort the issue.

The switch outside the bathroom is just an isolator for the fan nothing else.
Edited by: "darksideby182" 25th Sep 2017
You will need a new fan. It has become faulty, which has tripped the circuit.
Original Poster
Found an exact replacement a Manrose 50632 for £29.99 at screwfix, would a friend be able to fit this if not? How much should I expect an electrician to charge for a same for same swap?

I also have two other electrical jobs none urgent, to fit a mirrored light in a bathroom, currently needs wiring up (wires are there already) and attaching to wall etc. And a faulty plug socket. Would anyone beable to suggest the typical cost for those works as well considering the fact I'm supplying materials etc.

Thank you in advance
Edited by: "potatokid" 25th Sep 2017
potatokid5 m ago

Found an exact replacement a Manrose 50632 for £29.99 at screwfix, would a …Found an exact replacement a Manrose 50632 for £29.99 at screwfix, would a friend be able to fit this if not? How much should I expect an electrician to charge for a same for same swap?I also have two other electrical jobs none urgent, to fit a mirrored light in a bathroom, I have currently needs wiring up and attaching to wall etc. And a faulty plug socket. Would anyone beable to suggest the typical cost for those works as well considering the fact I'm supplying materials etc.Thank you in advance

Get an electrician over to quote the lot.
With out seeing everything it difficult to put a cost to the labour side of it.
Edited by: "darksideby182" 25th Sep 2017
potatokid1 h, 26 m ago

Found an exact replacement a Manrose 50632 for £29.99 at screwfix, would a …Found an exact replacement a Manrose 50632 for £29.99 at screwfix, would a friend be able to fit this if not? How much should I expect an electrician to charge for a same for same swap?I also have two other electrical jobs none urgent, to fit a mirrored light in a bathroom, currently needs wiring up (wires are there already) and attaching to wall etc. And a faulty plug socket. Would anyone beable to suggest the typical cost for those works as well considering the fact I'm supplying materials etc.Thank you in advance

very easy to replace extractor fan if you know what you are doing so if your friend understands electrics, then yes, else no as he could end up electrocuting himself!
Original Poster
thanks for all the help everyone
Original Poster
I tend to have my extractor set on timer to run for 30 mins as I have to go out to work and close all the windows but if I'm home and can leave the windows open I will turn off at the insolation switch, long term is this damaging to the electric's in the fan to switch off via isolation switch whilst it's running. I've switched it off like this for 5/6 years from the fan being brand new and it needed replacing last week so not sure if thats a good life span for a fan or it me switching off like I do I broken it?
potatokid13 m ago

I tend to have my extractor set on timer to run for 30 mins as I have to …I tend to have my extractor set on timer to run for 30 mins as I have to go out to work and close all the windows but if I'm home and can leave the windows open I will turn off at the insolation switch, long term is this damaging to the electric's in the fan to switch off via isolation switch whilst it's running. I've switched it off like this for 5/6 years from the fan being brand new and it needed replacing last week so not sure if thats a good life span for a fan or it me switching off like I do I broken it?

I would not think so. I doubt the pcb has any soft shutdown logic and that would be how the fan would shutdown in automatic mode anyway!

However - your fan consumes just 25W - so if it runs for 30 minutes on every use it is costing just 0.2pence! So I would just leave it on.
potatokid2 h, 16 m ago

I tend to have my extractor set on timer to run for 30 mins as I have to …I tend to have my extractor set on timer to run for 30 mins as I have to go out to work and close all the windows but if I'm home and can leave the windows open I will turn off at the insolation switch, long term is this damaging to the electric's in the fan to switch off via isolation switch whilst it's running. I've switched it off like this for 5/6 years from the fan being brand new and it needed replacing last week so not sure if thats a good life span for a fan or it me switching off like I do I broken it?

30 minutes!!

Why so long..?

I find 5/6 minutes is ample to clear and steam (or odour!)..
Original Poster
andynicol6 h, 7 m ago

30 minutes!!Why so long..?I find 5/6 minutes is ample to clear and steam …30 minutes!!Why so long..?I find 5/6 minutes is ample to clear and steam (or odour!)..

I have a mould allergy so avoid mouisture build up best I can, I find the tiled walls steam up and stay covered in condensation for sometime, not to mention the wet shower and towels, don't really want to trap in that much moisture in the house
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants