Extreme budget gaming PC

Posted 12th Nov
Hi all,

Im toying with the idea of getting my girlfriend a cheap second hand gaming pc for her birthday. Only thing is I literally know nothing about pc gaming. She's been subscribing to shadow and it's driving me nuts because I don't think she uses it enough to warrant the cost. She mainly plays r6 siege and wants to start streaming.
I genuinely don't think she would care whatS inside the pc as long as it can handle top settings siege and let her stream at the same time, she only really cares what it looks like. I was thinking I could get her a second hand pc for £200-250 and put it in a fancy new case. But I don't want to buy something that's utter crap and is not really fit for use. I know it's not alot to spend but if there's a decent base machine out there that we can upgrade and invest into once she decides if pc gaming is really her passion, then that would be ideal!

TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Not on that budget..
That budget is quite low. Second hand gaming pc’s are still quite expensive so there isn’t much saving going second hand unless you buy parts and are prepared to put it together yourself, there’s also risk in that you will get dodgy parts. I would just add my graphics card cost the same as your entire budget.

Here’s an example of something that would play that game on reasonably high settings awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml

That’s a budget to mid range system.
Agree with all comments HOWEVER, a female streamer on a pc that can play on high settings would make that money back in NO time.

Bonus tip: if she's not that good you could get a better player to play behind the scenes and she can just face cam and no viewer would be any wiser. Yes, I'm cynical and do believe this happens already.
three pcs that will run on medium high and ultra all way over budget but no chance on your budget.
gladiatorpc.co.uk/cus…ege
Edited by: "Luckyluke02" 12th Nov
MadeDixonsCry12/11/2019 08:14

Agree with all comments HOWEVER, a female streamer on a pc that can play …Agree with all comments HOWEVER, a female streamer on a pc that can play on high settings would make that money back in NO time.Bonus tip: if she's not that good you could get a better player to play behind the scenes and she can just face cam and no viewer would be any wiser. Yes, I'm cynical and do believe this happens already.

That's not budget gaming PC
That's more like a budget PC
Heck my phone costs more
Get an optiplex I5 or I7 (100-150) add in a half heigh gfx card (100) and BYU. Or if it can have a full height card then rx570's are going for dead cheap .
BTW what is Shadow (CApt Scarlett?) and how much does it cost?
Edited by: "GwanGy" 12th Nov
You might be able to do it building it yourself around a Ryzen 2200g.

It would be a working upgradeable system.......but would only do the most basic gaming but it would give you time to find a great deal on a gfx card.
that is the budget for GPU....
I hate to be another "downer" but I do have to agree with all the above. You realistically aren't going to find anything that will be capable of doing what you need at that sort of budget level:

UNLESS...

you can find someone on Gumtree selling a cheap unit as they are upgrading. Even then, it's quite a "unicorn" to try and hope to find! I have seen them though but of course, you also have the added risk of being sold a "dog" and potentially wasting your money.

You need to be looking around the £500 mark - and even then that would probably get you a machine that will only do low/medium settings gaming. Then, of course you might also want a good monitor and gaming input devices. All extra.

So, what has she been playing on up till now? I take it the "Shadow" gaming is not cutting the mustard? Or do you see it as a bit of a money pit? I hate being a "bubble-burst-er" but you/she would be very disappointed purchasing a machine that only 'just' crosses the line...

All the best, OP. Keep an eye out for something local maybe? A computer shop that sells 'used' units perhaps or Gumtree for an 'upgrader' machine.
GwanGy12/11/2019 11:15

Get an optiplex I5 or I7 (100-150) add in a half heigh gfx card (100) and …Get an optiplex I5 or I7 (100-150) add in a half heigh gfx card (100) and BYU. Or if it can have a full height card then rx570's are going for dead cheap .BTW what is Shadow (CApt Scarlett?) and how much does it cost?

I may be wrong but I believe they are talking about "Stream" gaming. You play a stream of a 'cloud' PC and then game on another device you own.

See here: shadow.tech/gben
GwanGy12/11/2019 11:15

Get an optiplex I5 or I7 (100-150) add in a half heigh gfx card (100) and …Get an optiplex I5 or I7 (100-150) add in a half heigh gfx card (100) and BYU. Or if it can have a full height card then rx570's are going for dead cheap .BTW what is Shadow (CApt Scarlett?) and how much does it cost?

Thanks I'll take a look at those options, Shadow is like a remote PC type renting system where you pay around £30 a month for a "4K" gaming PC, which works ok because she only has a mac, only issue is theres some compatibility problems and crashes.
Phsycronix12/11/2019 13:03

I hate to be another "downer" but I do have to agree with all the above. …I hate to be another "downer" but I do have to agree with all the above. You realistically aren't going to find anything that will be capable of doing what you need at that sort of budget level:UNLESS...you can find someone on Gumtree selling a cheap unit as they are upgrading. Even then, it's quite a "unicorn" to try and hope to find! I have seen them though but of course, you also have the added risk of being sold a "dog" and potentially wasting your money.You need to be looking around the £500 mark - and even then that would probably get you a machine that will only do low/medium settings gaming. Then, of course you might also want a good monitor and gaming input devices. All extra.So, what has she been playing on up till now? I take it the "Shadow" gaming is not cutting the mustard? Or do you see it as a bit of a money pit? I hate being a "bubble-burst-er" but you/she would be very disappointed purchasing a machine that only 'just' crosses the line...All the best, OP. Keep an eye out for something local maybe? A computer shop that sells 'used' units perhaps or Gumtree for an 'upgrader' machine.

Downers are good, means I don't spend my money on something that will be useless. I don't really know enough about PCs to be savvy with second hand stuff on gumtree/marketplace. I'll have to re-evaluate my budget, maybe there's a halfway house were I get the expensive bits and encourage others to buy the sub £50 parts. So for arguments sake if I upped the budget to £400 and wanted to buy the more expensive parts (CPU/ GPU/motherboard). What would you recommend being decent enough for Siege and streaming and then she can upgrade/add things from there with birthday/Christmas money? Putting this thing together ourselves might be the ultimate relationship make or break!
MadeDixonsCry12/11/2019 08:14

Agree with all comments HOWEVER, a female streamer on a pc that can play …Agree with all comments HOWEVER, a female streamer on a pc that can play on high settings would make that money back in NO time.Bonus tip: if she's not that good you could get a better player to play behind the scenes and she can just face cam and no viewer would be any wiser. Yes, I'm cynical and do believe this happens already.

Very cynical! She's actually decent on PS4, she might put a few "fans" off with her constant complaining that I've died already...
olliek00p13/11/2019 09:25

Putting this thing together ourselves might be the ultimate relationship …Putting this thing together ourselves might be the ultimate relationship make or break!

If this purchase is risking the relationship why even bother with it? From your posts it sounds like she hasn't asked for it and it's your idea. Just get a different present. Girls love perfume.
Hi olliek00p. Hope you're good. Take a looksie HERE at the specs required for RS:S

At a glance:

MINIMUM:

• Memory: 6 GB
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
  • File Size: 61 GB
  • OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions required)

RECOMMENDED:

• Memory: 8 GB
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
  • File Size: 61 GB
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions required)

As you can see, even 'minimum' settings are a budget-stretcher. It's been soooo long since I PC gamed, even I didn't realise what sort of machine you needed to play these titles today. I guess that's why I get my 'fix' on console!

If you're dead set on trying to do it, take a look at a site like CCL Computers. I used to use them when I built systems and would recommend them as a reliable source. See what others may say too.

cclonline.com/?fr….uk

You can choose 'ready built' or customize one and also build one from the ground up. All whilst the price changes 'live' as you go. You can quickly see how a 'capable' machine can spiral upwards rapidly! It's certainly a brilliant idea to perhaps allocate certain components as 'gifts' from family/friends etc. Very ingenious, I might say and definitely worth exploring further. You could perhaps put together a "shopping list" a little bit like a wedding list (Shhh, don't say the 'M' word, for Pete's sake!!!) and see who would like to purchase what.

Don't be instantly swayed by the cheap looking "gaming" PC's. You need to be aiming for Ryzen or i5 minimum really. Something along this line:

CCL Elite GX Gaming PC (I would put you a link but it won't allow it.) Comes with some 'freebies' too. Very customizable. I'd drop the SSD down as an O/S drive and bung in a HDD as a data drive. You could reduce the gfx but for the little money difference, it would be a backwards step. Optical drive for £10 more.

Also, you could save money by purchasing WITHOUT an O/S and getting a cheap key from Ebay. Windows 10 Pro can be had for a few pounds and the risk today is quite minimal - as opposed to years ago. Microsoft don't seem to bothered as long as you are using their latest spyware software! Hehe.

All the best, buddy. I hope you can achieve something close to what you need.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 13th Nov
olliek00p13/11/2019 09:25

Downers are good, means I don't spend my money on something that will be …Downers are good, means I don't spend my money on something that will be useless. I don't really know enough about PCs to be savvy with second hand stuff on gumtree/marketplace. I'll have to re-evaluate my budget, maybe there's a halfway house were I get the expensive bits and encourage others to buy the sub £50 parts. So for arguments sake if I upped the budget to £400 and wanted to buy the more expensive parts (CPU/ GPU/motherboard). What would you recommend being decent enough for Siege and streaming and then she can upgrade/add things from there with birthday/Christmas money? Putting this thing together ourselves might be the ultimate relationship make or break!

If you up budget to around £450.

awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml

Add 1TB secondary HDD & get a windows 10 key from ebay.
Ok, lets try and spec a "scrapyard wars" build...
Motherboard £14.99 LGA1150 refurb on ebay
i5-4690 £55 at CEX
RAM, 2x 8GB DDR3 1600 - £36 CEX
HD7870 - £30 at CEX or R9 270x +10, HD7970 +20
500GB SATA HDD - £5 CEX
Case, bling it with RE75 ebuyer £29.99
Game Max 500W PSU 80+ bronze rated £29.99 (ebay)
£200
Ah, plus a heatsink, the Snowman 4 heatpipe from AliExpress, and a SATA cable from there as well
To be a bit better, add a SSD 128GB for fast boot ('nother SATA cable)
Now with some deals on FB marketplace or ebay auctions, it may be possible to build cheaper or better.

Alternative, i7-2600 (also £55 at CEX) on a LGA1155 motherboard (old Intel ones that support this are plentiful) - for a 4 core 8 thread, instead of a 4 core 4 thread, but an architecture step backward, but taking the LGA1150 to i7 would mean a £95 CPU at CEX (there is a £72 one, but a S model - SLOWER)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants