Extremely vulnerable list - Asda and Sainsburys are being helpful and auto enrolling you onto a priority list.

Posted 4th Apr
Just to say that if you are on the extremely vulnerable list, in the next couple of days (if you haven't already) you should find that so long as you have existing accounts with Sainsburys and Asda you should get an email saying that they know you need to be prioritised.

You don't even have to call them (I say this from experience!).

Asda are even offering free delivery.

Hopefully once you get the emails it'll be one less thing to worry about.

You'll be allowed one slot a week.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

42 Comments
As nice as this is - eh - data protection? How the hell do they know?
Nat_urally04/04/2020 18:04

As nice as this is - eh - data protection? How the hell do they know?

I wondered the same!
Cinderellah198904/04/2020 18:12

I wondered the same!

It’s great and all - just... concerning. Governments sharing data with Asda?
As far as I know, the NHS contact the government to put you on the list. Then the government share the list with the supermarkets who look at the existing accounts and see if your name and address match the list.
Nat_urally04/04/2020 18:12

It’s great and all - just... concerning. Governments sharing data with A …It’s great and all - just... concerning. Governments sharing data with Asda?

I don't mind, I'm grateful for the help.

I assume you can ask to be removed from the list if you want.
sicklysweet04/04/2020 18:14

As far as I know, the NHS contact the government to put you on the list. …As far as I know, the NHS contact the government to put you on the list. Then the government share the list with the supermarkets who look at the existing accounts and see if your name and address match the list.

Nah still doesn’t sit right. NHS passing to the government is one thing, but sticking that info in the back pocket of a private, for profit company should not be something that happens automatically. I’m not one to moan about stuff like that normally, I see the greater good - I just can’t fathom the legality. Medical records are sealed. Imagine your good pal, the delivery driver finds out you had leukaemia before you had a chance to tell him? That’s why medical records are private.
From the email i got from sainsburys, i read it as them saying they would use the information that was input when you opened your account with them ie. date of birth but ive not seen asda offering anything yet.

Ive been waiting to order for the last 2 and half weeks. Me and my kids have been stuck in relying on bits and bobs ppl get for us. So annoying not being able to do our usual shop now
You already opened the account- so you offered up the data! Nothing sinister
England only.
I'm uncomfortable with this too.

In this very specific circumstance taken in isolation you can make a good argument that the benefit greatly outweighs the risk but the big concern for me is this sets the very worrying legal precedent that the government has the right to share your personal and confidential data with commercial companies.
Edited by: "spoo" 4th Apr
spoo04/04/2020 18:53

I'm uncomfortable with this too.In this very specific circumstance taken …I'm uncomfortable with this too.In this very specific circumstance taken in isolation you can make a good argument that the benefit greatly outweighs the risk but the big concern for me is this sets the very worrying legal precedent that the government has the right to share your personal and confidential data with commercial companies.

It is based on information you provided when you open your supermarket account.
My Sainsbury’s has many delivery slots available for normal customers. I booked one and didn’t feel bad because there was plenty left.
Cinderellah198904/04/2020 18:54

It is based on information you provided when you open your supermarket …It is based on information you provided when you open your supermarket account.

I just tried to test that theory be setting up an Asda account, literally the only information they asked for was name, email and address, no way they could know if you're in a vulnerable group unless they were informed by a third party, ie the government.
spoo04/04/2020 19:00

I just tried to test that theory be setting up an Asda account, literally …I just tried to test that theory be setting up an Asda account, literally the only information they asked for was name, email and address, no way they could know if you're in a vulnerable group unless they were informed by a third party, ie the government.

I did say ive no idea with asda.

When i signed up my parents i included date of birth for sainsburys sign up which is how they are using data
AL1S0N04/04/2020 18:37

You already opened the account- so you offered up the data! Nothing …You already opened the account- so you offered up the data! Nothing sinister

No not that, that’s totally cool. It’s how Asda supposedly know if you fall into that 1.5 million people in the extremely vulnerable category (immunocompromised patients etc) that’s the - wtf? How?
Edited by: "Nat_urally" 4th Apr

I'm uncomfortable with this too.In this very specific circumstance taken …I'm uncomfortable with this too.In this very specific circumstance taken in isolation you can make a good argument that the benefit greatly outweighs the risk but the big concern for me is this sets the very worrying legal precedent that the government has the right to share your personal and confidential data with commercial companies.

Precisely. It’s absolutely the precedent it sets that’s the issue. I suspect there’s a bit of Chinese whispers some where, I can’t fathom a loophole in data protection laws that would allow it. Now if they targeted the elderly based on their input D.O.B on joining - that I can see happening, but beyond that.
Cinderellah198904/04/2020 19:08

I did say ive no idea with asda. When i signed up my parents i included …I did say ive no idea with asda. When i signed up my parents i included date of birth for sainsburys sign up which is how they are using data

That covers the over 70s, how would supermarkets identify members of other vulnerable groups, such as the 1.5 million people in any of the categories below classified as 'extremely vulnerable' by NHS England? There's no way they would have any of this info just from your customer registration data.

Solid organ transplant recipients.

People with specific cancers:
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy
  • people with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
  • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
  • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
  • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD.

People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).

People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.

Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.
Edited by: "spoo" 4th Apr
Im guessing it's only for over 70's?
Edited by: "AL1S0N" 4th Apr
AL1S0N04/04/2020 20:00

Im guessing it's only for over 70's?

I don’t think over 70s go on the ‘extremely vulnerable’ list without a medical condition listed above (spoo’s list), however they are high risk so need looking after!
My nans a vulnerable person and had the sainsburys email and ive been trying to get a slot but there all booked up until 24th of april
deleted193929
My mother waited 2 weeks to get 'approved' as vulnerable, and now she can get on Sainsburys, there isn't one slot whatsoever. It's been a total farce. She has been a regular customer with them for 32 years. Other supermarkets have done things a lot better.
Edited by: "deleted193929" 4th Apr
deleted193929
Downtownmonkey04/04/2020 18:58

My Sainsbury’s has many delivery slots available for normal customers. I b …My Sainsbury’s has many delivery slots available for normal customers. I booked one and didn’t feel bad because there was plenty left.

How did you even get to the delivery slot screen? it was meant to be for approved vulnerable people only.
deleted193929
Nat_urally04/04/2020 19:19

I can’t fathom a loophole in data protection laws

Data protection laws don't apply to government agencies.
deleted19392904/04/2020 21:58

Nonsense, of course they do.
deleted19392904/04/2020 21:58

Of course they do?! Right from HMRC to the cabinet office. They absolutely do
deleted19392904/04/2020 22:07

https://www.hipaajournal.com/gdpr-exemptions-who-is-exempt-from-gdpr/

Gdpr and data protection are two very different things
deleted193929
Nat_urally04/04/2020 22:10

Gdpr and data protection are two very different things

No, they aren't. The UK adopted GDPR.
deleted19392904/04/2020 22:07

https://www.hipaajournal.com/gdpr-exemptions-who-is-exempt-from-gdpr/

I read the exemptions, where in there is an exemption to give personal details to a supermarket?
deleted193929
Bushes04/04/2020 22:11

I read the exemptions, where in there is an exemption to give personal …I read the exemptions, where in there is an exemption to give personal details to a supermarket?

In this case, I would imagine on grounds of public safety...
Edited by: "deleted193929" 4th Apr
You have to register on the government database which is where the supermarkets get your data from: gov.uk/cor…ble
deleted19392904/04/2020 22:11

In this case, I would imagine on grounds of public safety...

Threats to public safety you mean. Very suspect, and stretching the intention by some considerable degree. Not you of course, just this government.
deleted193929
Bushes04/04/2020 22:16

Threats to public safety you mean. Very suspect, and stretching the …Threats to public safety you mean. Very suspect, and stretching the intention by some considerable degree. Not you of course, just this government.

Do you read every single part of the terms and conditions before you visit a website, or join something? Some T&C's are pages long. If you did, you would see how much information you are giving away to various companies.
deleted193929

I highly doubt they are sharing all of your information with the supermarket. Somebody, I would imagine would fill out the form for a 'vulnerable person' which then either gives the supermarket a yes/no flag. There would be no need to send a supermarket all of your medical aliments.
deleted19392904/04/2020 22:18

Do you read every single part of the terms and conditions before you visit …Do you read every single part of the terms and conditions before you visit a website, or join something? Some T&C's are pages long. If you did, you would see how much information you are giving away to various companies.

I do make sure that those boxes are ticked or unticked to protect my privacy. Having not gone through the application to register as a vulnerable adult I think I would baulk at the notion of sharing my vulnerable status with private businesses.
Edited by: "Bushes" 4th Apr
I received an email and it was a huge sigh of relief my son was recognised as being vulnerable. Last time I went out shopping was 3 weeks ago . I was lucky enough to hv booked a slot being delivered a few days ago however only half my shopping arrived as a lot if items out of stock . All of our family do not go out because of my son as I’m scared we may pass on the virus to him . Nearly lost him just over a year ago with a collapsed lung and perforated bowel hence the extra caution . There was plenty of bookable slots when I checked
Edited by: "pabz" 5th Apr
bobdylan04/04/2020 22:16

You have to register on the government database which is where the …You have to register on the government database which is where the supermarkets get your data from: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

I totally forgot I did this!

Yes I signed up with the government website flagging myself up, and then I think they contacted the NHS.

Sorry I forgot that step!!
pabz05/04/2020 00:17

I received an email and it was a huge sigh of relief my son was recognised …I received an email and it was a huge sigh of relief my son was recognised as being vulnerable. Last time I went out shopping was 3 weeks ago . I was lucky enough to hv booked a slot being delivered a few days ago however only half my shopping arrived as a lot if items out of stock . All of our family do not go out because of my son as I’m scared we may pass on the virus to him . Nearly lost him just over a year ago with a collapsed lung and perforated bowel hence the extra caution . There was plenty of bookable slots when I checked

Yes, the immense relief is a very strange feeling; so much stress and pressure is taken away and you feel safe knowing you don’t have to go out and risk the health of your loved ones or yourself. Food is such a basic human need, and just knowing I *can* access it (even if I don’t need to) is a good feeling.

I am about to start week 4 of self isolation and am getting into the groove of it, but I have open uni to keep me busy and I think that’s helping.

Stay safe and I’m glad you have the priority when you need it.
deleted19392904/04/2020 21:56

How did you even get to the delivery slot screen? it was meant to be for …How did you even get to the delivery slot screen? it was meant to be for approved vulnerable people only.

I got an email that the vulnerable had taken their slots and there were slots left. There were loads left.
sicklysweet04/04/2020 20:04

I don’t think over 70s go on the ‘extremely vulnerable’ list without a medi …I don’t think over 70s go on the ‘extremely vulnerable’ list without a medical condition listed above (spoo’s list), however they are high risk so need looking after!

My mum has been added to sainsburys automatically. She is 73 and has no health issues. It needs to be everyone over 70 and vulnerable
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions