Expired

Eye prescription question

Found 24th Apr
Had an eye test today. Eyesight improved but they said the CYL had gotten worse. What does that mean?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Have you a astigmatism like me then
Just put "Your Eye Prescription Explained" in google and it will be come clear (or maybe not in your case)
You had an eye test and did not ask them about the result!
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 24th Apr
OBH6UK52 m ago

Amazing isn't it? Go for an eye test, forget the professional testing me, I'll ask complete non-professional strangers on a forum for answers!
Edited by: "artnada" 24th Apr
artnada6 m ago

Amazing isn't it? Go for an eye test, forget the professional testing me, …Amazing isn't it? Go for an eye test, forget the professional testing me, I'll ask complete non-professional strangers on a forum for answers!

OBH6UK59 m ago

I was in a rush for another appointment afterwards. And they were in a rush anyway because there were people waiting for their appointments
steve.t1 h, 39 m ago

Just put "Your Eye Prescription Explained" in google and it will be come …Just put "Your Eye Prescription Explained" in google and it will be come clear (or maybe not in your case)

I see what you did there

I did but it was very confusing. I never had to learn about eyes when I was at school so it doesn’t make much sense
wayners2 h, 42 m ago

Have you a astigmatism like me then

No clue what that is! I have a squint but it’s not in the eye with the CYL thing
allaboutvision.com/eye…htm

Cylinder (CYL). This indicates the amount of lens power for astigmatism. If nothing appears in this column, either you have no astigmatism, or your astigmatism is so slight that it is not really necessary to correct it with your eyeglass lenses.

The term "cylinder" means that this lens power added to correct astigmatism is not spherical, but instead is shaped so one meridian has no added curvature, and the meridian perpendicular to this "no added power" meridian contains the maximum power and lens curvature to correct astigmatism.

The number in the cylinder column may be preceded with a minus sign (for the correction of nearsighted astigmatism) or a plus sign (for farsighted astigmatism). Cylinder power always follows sphere power in an eyeglass prescription.
Mechtup17 h, 5 m ago

I was in a rush for another appointment afterwards. And they were in a …I was in a rush for another appointment afterwards. And they were in a rush anyway because there were people waiting for their appointments

Your eye sight is important so you and them should have allowed time for a proper discussion about the result.
In defence of @Mechtup I had an eye test last week in my local (huge) specsavers and it was absolute mayhem in there with prams blocking the seating area, kids playing hide and seek around the displays, tannoy announcements and music being played. I got the test done and just took the prescription away with the plan to go back and browse the frame selection later in the week when the shop wouldn’t be so busy. I still haven’t looked at the change in the prescription. I’m not an optometrist and expect Specsavers to be correct in their findings. The prescription card they gave me is in code and perhaps that’s the problem. If they explained it (in plain English)on the back of the card then that would be a way of educating their customers in understanding their own results.
Toptrumpet4 h, 1 m ago

In defence of @Mechtup I had an eye test last week in my local (huge) …In defence of @Mechtup I had an eye test last week in my local (huge) specsavers and it was absolute mayhem in there with prams blocking the seating area, kids playing hide and seek around the displays, tannoy announcements and music being played. I got the test done and just took the prescription away with the plan to go back and browse the frame selection later in the week when the shop wouldn’t be so busy. I still haven’t looked at the change in the prescription. I’m not an optometrist and expect Specsavers to be correct in their findings. The prescription card they gave me is in code and perhaps that’s the problem. If they explained it (in plain English)on the back of the card then that would be a way of educating their customers in understanding their own results.

^^^ id already been there waiting for over half an hour because they didn’t pass on my forms so my eye test was half an hour late (well probably +5 minutes too because of the wait after finally having forms done too!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions