eye test...

Found 19th Jul
I had free eyetest at boots as I wanted to order new glasses from online as seen good deals for frames+glasses much cheaper than in boots or other places.

But the prescription doesnt feel right. My old prescription is quite old 3.5 years ago I bought my current glasses and managed to find out that those were
-4 on right eye
and -4.25 on left,

Well 3.5 years later I feel these are currently not strong enough (obviously) and need stronger ones to see thing clearly in distance.

Well last week boots free eye test was done and they checked my old glasses with a machine and said something which felt bit lower prescription than I remembered, anyway after the eye test they said:
left: -4
right -3.75

so both got better a bit which I dont beleive because current glasses feel weak.

Now I am about to go to another optician for a paid eye test to double check it but will refuse to give them my current glasses to check it as it may give them an idea how much it should be or something.

Wouldnt be surprised if that would come out like -5 or nearly 5 on both eyes in that case I wonder what happened at this boots eye test...

If I make my order online for frames and glasses with this fresh boots prescription and it wont even be strong enough for my eyes well that would be uite a waste of money. -much more than what i saved on the free eye test...
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
what's the question?
8 Comments
So cheep to buy online just get a pair and try. I just bought 2 pairs one with reactive lenses for summer and a pair for work for £50 with online voucher. I must own 7+pairs at mo. Just get a pair and see what how it goes. Possibly with sun lenses as worse case you can ware in summer or on holiday. I still ware my old prescription glasses as keep spares about home and car glove box. Going for eye test soon so I'll buy a pair for £20 just to test new prescription
Edited by: "wayners" 19th Jul
what's the question?
Presentations are a best guess anyway. Go to 3 places you will walk out with 3 different prescriptions. Just buy a cheap pair and see how it goes. They adjust prescription just to flog specs as small adjustments make no real difference for most. Glasses are so cheap who cares as if I don't like them or can't get on with them I shove in 3rd world box.
Try spex4less website for glasses. They have a no quibble returns policy so you can return if they are no good. They say they will refund or exchange if you get your prescription wrong, if the optician gets it wrong or even if you just don't like them. I can't fault them!
Cheap check on dispensed prescriptions via choice of 220+ prescription glasses at total £5 each + one-off £4.99 p&p per order, less cashback opportunities via the usual players speckyfoureyes.com/83-…ers so cheap enough to order multiple different prescriptions and compare. Patience required as circa 4wk turnround.
I'm with Specsavers and whenever I have an eye test and the prescription has changed they will always set the machine to my old prescription and show me and then change it to the new prescription and then show me. I don't get why them taking your prescription has anything to do with your old set of glasses.
wayners19th Jul

Presentations are a best guess anyway. Go to 3 places you will walk out …Presentations are a best guess anyway. Go to 3 places you will walk out with 3 different prescriptions. Just buy a cheap pair and see how it goes. They adjust prescription just to flog specs as small adjustments make no real difference for most. Glasses are so cheap who cares as if I don't like them or can't get on with them I shove in 3rd world box.

They do not ‘adjust’ the prescription to just flog glasses. Optometrists spend 4 years minimum at Uni and Pre-reg year learning to test eyes.

If there is a change 1 of 2 things have happened, especially on minute changes. Either the prescription has changed or the patient has relayed a different answer to what they felt was best.

Most Optical practices with stick your old glasses in a Focimeter to check the old prescription. Purely to get a general starting point.
They also will use an automated machine called an Auto-refractor to check your eyes possible prescription. Typically you see a picture of a hot air balloon during this test.

These checks combined with either test frames, retinoscoscopy and subjective questioning gets the answer. The last part is where most error comes from. The 1 or 2 confuses me at the best of times.

Prescriptions do vary, normally for the worse but occasionally for the better. By all means get a second opinion but don’t assume there are any tinfoil hat theories at play. (there are unscrupulous people in all livelihoods, just not all people)
Cool story bro
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions