Expired

Fabric sofa help!

Found 26th Oct 2014
Got a fabric sofa from dfs and we are currently in the process of potty training our young girl and she has wee'd on the sofa

I want to wash the whole sofa as the cushions just dont seem as clean as they used to be

All the cushions have removable covers so im guessing I can shove them in the washer but there is no care labels to help with the temperature or anything!

Is it a good idea to put them in the washer?

1. Ask
  2. Sofa
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Sofa
22 Comments

Used to wash mine on 40° Got leather now so just use leather wipes. Much easier.

Original Poster

13norfolk

Used to wash mine on 40° Got leather now so just use leather wipes. Much … Used to wash mine on 40° Got leather now so just use leather wipes. Much easier.

Got fabric because of the comfort hate cold leather sofas. When you washed them how do they feel when they dry do they go all hard?

Did you take out the warranty for fabric suites? If so phone the tel: No, The DFS fabrics are NOT machine washable. Professionally cleaned only

If not go to pets r us or any pet shop and get the Enzyme spray to stop the smell of urine,

Not sure about the washing sorry but as someone who lost their mind during puppy training I can pass on some tips for removing the smell of pee. First you can soak up most of the pee then soak with clear vinegar. Then try and soak up as much of the vinegar as you can and sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the same spot. Allow it to dry then vacuum off.
An alternative is to make a pasta using some laundry powder and water and apply it to the area rubbing it in then springing it off. Just test an inconspicuous area of fabric for both methods first I don't want the blame for you bleaching your couch lol.

If you have a tumble drier you can buy dry cleaning stuff. Don't know what it's called, seen it on the web somewhere.

Just thought how about some shake'n'vac to get rid of the smell.

I wash my cushion covers on a delicate wash or hand wash. Never had a problem after washing them, put out on line to dry. Couch is from DFS.

My sofas from DFS, after looking online a few months ago I contacted them... they said 100% must not be washed.
I'd already done it by then though, if you have scatter cushions that match it try washing one of them to test.
I wash mine at 40 with normal washing stuff in machine, then chuck them in the drier on gentle for a few mins, while they're still damp put them back on the cushions.
Mine came out perfect, and I've washed them a couple of times since now with no detrimental effects to the covers

sparky111091

Not sure about the washing sorry but as someone who lost their mind … Not sure about the washing sorry but as someone who lost their mind during puppy training I can pass on some tips for removing the smell of pee. First you can soak up most of the pee then soak with clear vinegar. Then try and soak up as much of the vinegar as you can and sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the same spot. Allow it to dry then vacuum off.An alternative is to make a pasta using some laundry powder and water and apply it to the area rubbing it in then springing it off. Just test an inconspicuous area of fabric for both methods first I don't want the blame for you bleaching your couch lol.

I'm not sure I like the sound of your pasta:p

My fabric sofas from dfs and I chuck the covers in the machine all the time and then in the tumble dryer and it's 7 years old and still in good condition.

u can get stuff from the pet shop to clean carpet after little accidents. I'm sure it would be fine.
or a steam cleaner?

Original Poster

rtmlk

Did you take out the warranty for fabric suites? If so phone the tel: … Did you take out the warranty for fabric suites? If so phone the tel: No, The DFS fabrics are NOT machine washable. Professionally cleaned only :(If not go to pets r us or any pet shop and get the Enzyme spray to stop the smell of urine,

Yes I paid an extra £100 thinking they would clean my sofa but they ony come out for stains and not smells.

Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions but im still wary about washing them

we always have removable covers. wash at 40 degrees fine.

Original Poster

mutley1

we always have removable covers. wash at 40 degrees fine.

Mine does that thing where you swipe over it and it goes a different shade will is still do that or will it go all hard?

Ignore the " old wives tales" if you wash your covers whilst under warranty you will make the warranty null and void, If your out of warranty you can do what you want to clean them.
They will send the covers to the lab and if its found to have been washed the warranty becomes void,.

The warranty people will come out and clean any / all stains but not the smell, thats why i suggested ann Enzyme spray from the pet store to stop the bacteria.

nannyhoo

I'm not sure I like the sound of your pasta:p

haha oops, meant paste!

JackRH1

Mine does that thing where you swipe over it and it goes a different … Mine does that thing where you swipe over it and it goes a different shade will is still do that or will it go all hard?

just like washing, clothes don't go hard. it may feel hard first day but it becomes soft again pretty quick.

JackRH1

Yes I paid an extra £100 thinking they would clean my sofa but they ony … Yes I paid an extra £100 thinking they would clean my sofa but they ony come out for stains and not smells.

Oooops that Ribena causes dreadful stains and right where little un wee'd

DFS cushion covers should not be washed because, to conform with a British fire prevention law, the insides are coated with something that is meant to make them fire safe. When we got ours, the man told us to just give them a call if it needed cleaning, but to never wash them in the washing machine ourselves. If they don't want to go out and clean it as traceym said above me, just "accidentally" spill some ketchup.

JackRH1 you have Microfibre / Chunky cord.

Ignore stefanw and traceym!!!!! DFS will come out and remove any STAIN not odour.

rtmlk

Ignore stefanw and traceym!!!!! DFS will come out and remove any STAIN … Ignore stefanw and traceym!!!!! DFS will come out and remove any STAIN not odour.

I don't want to start an argument, but that's more or less what I and traceym said; If DFS DON'T want to come to clean ODOUR, then, as part of the insurance you paid them for, call them for cleaning a STAIN, which they will come to clean, as it's in a contract you signed with them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions