Face Mask / Coverings - Internal policies for Supermarkets from 24th July [England]

Lead deal editor102
Posted 22nd Jul
Update 1
Updated wording, thanks for the feedback
Comments are open on this deal, and will be left provided they abide by our site rules. Please keep the discussion on-topic about these facemasks, and not about Coronavirus in general and wider issues - see our comment on this for more info. You can read official advice on using facemasks from the WHO and the UK Government

As//when information changes, i'll update as soon as possible.

Exemptions to wearing a face mask

Not everyone has to wear a face covering.

If you have a legitimate reason not to wear one, you can be exempted from the new rules.

There are a variety of reasons for face covering exemptions, including:

Children under the age of 11

People unable to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability (see footer of thread for more info)

If putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause you severe distress
if you are travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading to communicate

To avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others

To avoid injury, or to escape a risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you

To eat or drink, but only if you need to

To take medication

If a police officer or other official requests you remove your face covering
There are also scenarios when you are permitted to remove a face covering when asked, which include:

If asked to do so by shop staff for the purpose of age identification

If speaking with people who rely on lip reading, facial expressions and clear sound. Some may ask you, either verbally or in writing, to remove a covering to help with communication

Source

ALDI:

The German discounter said in line with government guidance, face masks will be mandatory in all stores from July 24.

The chain, which has also introduced a new traffic light system to manage social distancing queues, said customers should continue to maintain a safe distance from others, shop by themselves where possible and try to use contactless payments which have been increased to £45.

Update 16.40 22/07/2020

3510244.jpg

Source

ASDA: Edited, awaiting update.

Co-op (Check with your local before you travel as may vary in advice)

“Ahead of the official start date of the 24 July for customers to wear face coverings in shops, we will be asking colleagues to do so from today (Monday 20th). This is to ensure the message is as clear and consistent as possible for everyone.

“Our colleagues have all been supplied with face masks for when they are working and will be playing their part in helping our communities to stay safe. We want our colleagues to feel comfortable wearing a face covering for up to eight hours at a time, and so are also ensuring more comfortable face visors are available to those who prefer to wear one.

“Some customers are rightly exempt from this request, for health or religious reasons. We have made these exemptions very clear on our website centralengland.coop and all team members will be reminded of these important exemptions. Priority access for NHS team members is still in place, to allow these front-line workers to be in our and out of store as quickly as possible.

“So we now ask all of our customers to wear a face covering so we know together we’re co-operating in our efforts to be safe.”

The new measures on wearing face coverings will sit alongside a range of others already in place at Central England Co-op sites, which have been very well received by customers.

Source

Iceland:

Iceland says it has made face masks available for all store colleagues who want to wear one but it is up to them whether they wish to do so.

''If mandatory face masks in shops will make our customers & colleagues safer then they are welcome - but we won't put our staff at risk by asking them to police this. The UK cannot afford a second wave, so we all need to play our part & show care and consideration for each other.''

CEO - Iceland

LIDL:

The supermarket is advising customers to wear a face covering in stores.

It said on the website: "Wearing a face covering in our stores is mandatory in Scotland and will be in England from July 24, in line with government regulations.

"If you're shopping in any of our stores in Wales, it is advised that you wear a face covering where it might be difficult to stay 2m away from others to help keep everyone safe."

Source

3510244.jpg

Marks & Spencer: Edited, awaiting update

Morrisons: Not seeing any info as of yet, will update ASAP

Sainsburys:

Masks are available for all our colleagues who wish to use them while they work or travel to their place of work.”

They are not yet compulsory for customers in a way that is enforced by staff.

''The company will follow the latest guidelines, but as outlined in the statement from the British Retail Consortium, will not be enforcing the rules themselves.

Shoppers who don’t abide by the new rules will be facing fines of up to £100, the government is set to announce.

Sainsbury's has previously adopted a policy stating: "Masks are available for all our colleagues who wish to use them while they work or travel to their place of work.”

Source

Insider screenshot below

3510244.jpg

Tesco:

3510244-9GB7q.jpg

Waitrose:

"In line with current government guidelines, all customers will be required to wear face coverings in our shops from 24th July unless they have an exemption. We are encouraging but not mandating Partners to use face coverings."

Source

Understanding Hidden Disabilities and things you can get to support you with them

Thanks to @andrewworrall1 for the link above

Looking for a Face Mask? Check out the offers here
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Really don't understand this post. The guidelines for supermarkets are clear - wear a mask. Everyone should wear a mask except some few who really can't.

This post focuses on whether different shops will be enforcing this rule in a more active way. It seems to me to act as an encouragement to do whatever you like by being prearmed with the knowledge that staff won't challenge you.

In the midst of a pandemic which has killed a confirmed 45,000 people in this country (and the real number may be around 60,000, as ONS data is added) I find that really shocking.

Wear a mask. It is for the protection of us all. Don't be trying to wriggle your way out of it, it's appalling behaviour.

It doesn't matter if Sainsbury's don't have a formal policy to challenge you if you don't wear a mask. You should be wearing one and you know it.
Edited by: "SlowBandit" 22nd Jul
Just to confirm folks, face masks are not chin warmers. Respect others
41456375-QAVKQ.jpgThank you for linking to my discussion on Hidden Disabilities, as someone with a Hidden Disability myself I support people with them (don't get me wrong, I absolutely would still support them if I didn't have one )

I wear my Face Covering Exempt card with my lanyard and as you can see in this photo, with my hotukdeals hoodie on that day the photo was taken
I'm a bit concerned that the whole hidden disabilities exemption is going to get abused by people who don't want to wear a mask. How could you prove it? The badge shown above might seem reasonable but it will be like a blue badge for parking. If people have access to one they'll use it even if it's not theirs.
I'm not sure what I will end up doing tbh. I suffer mild claustrophobia and I definitely panic trying to use the standard masks which are usually tight and flat against your face. I have bought some others with nose bridges on them which hold them off a little and they are better, however I've not tried them out in public on a shopping trip yet so I don't know if I'll be able to handle it. If not then someone else is going to have to do the food shopping in my family lol.
102 Comments
41456375-QAVKQ.jpgThank you for linking to my discussion on Hidden Disabilities, as someone with a Hidden Disability myself I support people with them (don't get me wrong, I absolutely would still support them if I didn't have one )

I wear my Face Covering Exempt card with my lanyard and as you can see in this photo, with my hotukdeals hoodie on that day the photo was taken
Isnt this just England Only or Use Welsh too? I got a Face Mask but the amount of people not wearing them, I feel like a Plonker soemtimes when I have it on, get some right ol looks...
The subject line needs changed to emphasise these are rules for England. This is a UK site. Face masks have been mandatory in Scotland for the past couple of weeks.
andrewworrall122/07/2020 08:53

[Image] Thank you for linking to my discussion on Hidden Disabilities, as …[Image] Thank you for linking to my discussion on Hidden Disabilities, as someone with a Hidden Disability myself I support people with them (don't get me wrong, I absolutely would still support them if I didn't have one )I wear my Face Covering Exempt card with my lanyard and as you can see in this photo, with my hotukdeals hoodie on that day the photo was taken

I think this is a great idea, I have seen too many arguments on trains so far with no one wearing a mask!
Helpful_Hints22/07/2020 09:52

I think this is a great idea, I have seen too many arguments on trains so …I think this is a great idea, I have seen too many arguments on trains so far with no one wearing a mask!

Thanks, I think it's a great idea as well! I do get judged in some situations where for example I have to use a bus, people stare at me all the time (even with the exempt card clearly visible). Was asked by a passenger once why I wasn't wearing a mask and I showed them the card so they left me alone but I still heard them mumble to themselves that I should be ashamed or something along those lines. But I just try to ignore it, always better to have the card when you're exempt
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 22nd Jul
darthvader666uk22/07/2020 09:01

Isnt this just England Only or Use Welsh too? I got a Face Mask but the …Isnt this just England Only or Use Welsh too? I got a Face Mask but the amount of people not wearing them, I feel like a Plonker soemtimes when I have it on, get some right ol looks...

Masks are not compulsory in shops in Wales at the moment. However they are on public transport. I wear a mask regardless when shopping and you are correct, not many people do and yes feel like a plonker. Better to be a plonked than living with guilt of being a super spreader.
My son has learning disabilities, and he has returned to his day provision, where face masks must be worn. I have been so proud of them all, and the staff, as they have had everything explained clearly to them, and they’re all happily adjusting. Too many people are making quick excuses, and putting others lives at risk. I realise there are some that are unable to, but at least give it try. No one finds it comfortable, but you can adjust.
Whoop!
Edited by: "jimithesaintkl" 22nd Jul
darthvader666uk22/07/2020 09:01

Isnt this just England Only or Use Welsh too? I got a Face Mask but the …Isnt this just England Only or Use Welsh too? I got a Face Mask but the amount of people not wearing them, I feel like a Plonker soemtimes when I have it on, get some right ol looks...

... getting odd looks from random people out in public for wearing a face mask during a pandemic due to a virus that attacks the respiratory system (lungs), there is no magic medical cure for at present and can be passed from person to person via airborne particles - does not make them medically (or otherwise) very highly trained... in fact that makes said random people, making people wearing masks to feel like ‘Plonkers’ part of the very problem.
Xiwt22/07/2020 10:33

https://www.thelocal.ch/20200715/only-those-with-plastic-visors-were-infected-swiss-government-warns-against-face-shields

I've seen quite a few service personnel wearing these rather than masks. Has there been any guideline information about them from the Govt?
Really don't understand this post. The guidelines for supermarkets are clear - wear a mask. Everyone should wear a mask except some few who really can't.

This post focuses on whether different shops will be enforcing this rule in a more active way. It seems to me to act as an encouragement to do whatever you like by being prearmed with the knowledge that staff won't challenge you.

In the midst of a pandemic which has killed a confirmed 45,000 people in this country (and the real number may be around 60,000, as ONS data is added) I find that really shocking.

Wear a mask. It is for the protection of us all. Don't be trying to wriggle your way out of it, it's appalling behaviour.

It doesn't matter if Sainsbury's don't have a formal policy to challenge you if you don't wear a mask. You should be wearing one and you know it.
Edited by: "SlowBandit" 22nd Jul
ChurwellOwl22/07/2020 10:37

I've seen quite a few service personnel wearing these rather than masks. …I've seen quite a few service personnel wearing these rather than masks. Has there been any guideline information about them from the Govt?

Sorry I don’t know what the UK Gov position specifically on face shields is.
I'm a bit concerned that the whole hidden disabilities exemption is going to get abused by people who don't want to wear a mask. How could you prove it? The badge shown above might seem reasonable but it will be like a blue badge for parking. If people have access to one they'll use it even if it's not theirs.
I'm not sure what I will end up doing tbh. I suffer mild claustrophobia and I definitely panic trying to use the standard masks which are usually tight and flat against your face. I have bought some others with nose bridges on them which hold them off a little and they are better, however I've not tried them out in public on a shopping trip yet so I don't know if I'll be able to handle it. If not then someone else is going to have to do the food shopping in my family lol.
All staff at Tesco well my store have to wear them! Except those who work in back areas and checkouts who have screens up
SlowBandit22/07/2020 10:40

Really don't understand this post. The guidelines for supermarkets are …Really don't understand this post. The guidelines for supermarkets are clear - wear a mask. Everyone should wear a mask except some few who really can't. This post focuses on whether different shops will be enforcing this rule in a more active way. It seems to me to act as an encouragement to do whatever you like by being prearmed with the knowledge that staff won't challenge you.In the midst of a pandemic which has killed a confirmed 45,000 people in this country (and the real number may be around 60,000, as ONS data is added) I find that really shocking. Wear a mask. It is for the protection of us all. Don't be trying to wriggle your way out of it, it's appalling behaviour.It doesn't matter if Sainsbury's don't have a formal policy to challenge you if you don't wear a mask. You should be wearing one and you know it.

I agree. I thought it was mandatory so why are most supermarkets saying it's optional for customers and in some cases staff?
fearona22/07/2020 10:43

Comment deleted

Well, I believe unfiltered airborne particles are still more easily transferred between people if you’re only wearing a visor (it is less closer fitting than a face covering) as there are large gaps between mouth and visor edges / visor bottom. So if we take physics into account the amount of unfiltered airborne particles that escape the visor are likely to be more than a proper fitting suitable face covering/mask.
Edited by: "Xiwt" 22nd Jul
ChurwellOwl22/07/2020 10:51

I agree. I thought it was mandatory so why are most supermarkets saying …I agree. I thought it was mandatory so why are most supermarkets saying it's optional for customers and in some cases staff?

It’s shocking because shop staff are statistically more at risk than the general population.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53397617

Mr Hancock told the Commons: "Sadly, sales assistants, cashiers and security guards have suffered disproportionately in this crisis.

"The death rate of sales and retail assistants is 75% higher amongst men and 60% higher amongst women than in the general population."

The new rule will not apply to retail staff.”
SlowBandit22/07/2020 10:40

Really don't understand this post. The guidelines for supermarkets are …Really don't understand this post. The guidelines for supermarkets are clear - wear a mask. Everyone should wear a mask except some few who really can't. This post focuses on whether different shops will be enforcing this rule in a more active way. It seems to me to act as an encouragement to do whatever you like by being prearmed with the knowledge that staff won't challenge you.In the midst of a pandemic which has killed a confirmed 45,000 people in this country (and the real number may be around 60,000, as ONS data is added) I find that really shocking. Wear a mask. It is for the protection of us all. Don't be trying to wriggle your way out of it, it's appalling behaviour.It doesn't matter if Sainsbury's don't have a formal policy to challenge you if you don't wear a mask. You should be wearing one and you know it.

Could not agree more. Basically if you can wear a mask, wear a mask.
fearona22/07/2020 11:52

Comment deleted

Depends on the setting - I for one would not want food to be served to me by someone only wearing a visor because of the trajectory of airflow when breathing and how people tend to conventionally carry plates.
Glad to see most of the stores saying it’s not mandatory but have taken a screen shot just in case some hero security guard tell me I have to wear one I also have ordered a hidden disability pass..well done for this thread @Dan_82
rochester22/07/2020 12:01

Glad to see most of the stores saying it’s not mandatory but have taken a s …Glad to see most of the stores saying it’s not mandatory but have taken a screen shot just in case some hero security guard tell me I have to wear one I also have ordered a hidden disability pass..well done for this thread @Dan_82

Most welcome

If i get anymore info i.e Morrisons, i'll update.
Tesco don’t have the one way system anymore?
fearona22/07/2020 11:59

Comment deleted

‘Common sense’ is a concept that I seldom place faith in, especially, when we live in a place where people that do mask up and use their ‘common sense’ to try and not be a spreader/super spreader are made to feel like Plonkers.
Bandicoot22/07/2020 09:25

Don't forget the ones who just put them over their mouth
Dan_8222/07/2020 12:05

Most welcome If i get anymore info i.e Morrisons, i'll update.

I did some shopping at Morrisons the other day and the polite gentleman that served me saw me wearing my face covering exempt card on my lanyard, told me I won't have to wear a face covering as I'm exempt (I never asked, so he was just being nice to tell me that to avoid me stressing or worrying)

However that may be just my local Morrisons as there is no official announcement yet I'm not sure
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 22nd Jul
Cbear8122/07/2020 12:08

Tesco don’t have the one way system anymore?

Correct. It's now a 2 metres guidance on the floor. Probably because no one followed the one way system anyway, the amount of times I would follow it and have someone complain at me for being "in their way" when they went the wrong way anyway is unbelievable.

I know some people are illiterate or their disability makes them struggle to understand basic signage, but it happened a lot so I guess that's why they've changed that
andrewworrall122/07/2020 12:27

Correct. It's now a 2 metres guidance on the floor. Probably because no …Correct. It's now a 2 metres guidance on the floor. Probably because no one followed the one way system anyway, the amount of times I would follow it and have someone complain at me for being "in their way" when they went the wrong way anyway is unbelievable.I know some people are illiterate or their disability makes them struggle to understand basic signage, but it happened a lot so I guess that's why they've changed that

I work there and you’re right they didn’t some didnt follow! But I certainly wouldn’t of questioned you on it.
For shop workers it's optional as they are working long shifts and it's difficult breathing in one even for customers that come in for an hour or two so It will be definitely harder for them but won't stop them getting abused by idiot customers.
Dan_8222/07/2020 12:05

Most welcome If i get anymore info i.e Morrisons, i'll update.

They are mandatory.
The law has changed.
MR112322/07/2020 12:51

For shop workers it's optional as they are working long shifts and it's …For shop workers it's optional as they are working long shifts and it's difficult breathing in one even for customers that come in for an hour or two so It will be definitely harder for them but won't stop them getting abused by idiot customers.

I work for Tesco unfortunately, I have to wear them! as we’ve been told by the GM... as I work near the public more than the other staff in store etc.
Edited by: "Cbear81" 22nd Jul
Apologies if this has been posted before but GP'S WILL NOT BE PROVIDING EXEMPTION LETTERS / CARDS .

If you are genuinely one of the small number of people who can't wear a mask then you could always print one of these cards to use or buy one of the £0.55 ones from Hidden Disability.

Please don't fall for any of the scams asking you to pay £15 for a 'proper' exemption card.

41459142-8mcl1.jpg

41459142-czHVZ.jpg

41459142-j61Sr.jpg
andrewworrall122/07/2020 08:53

[Image] Thank you for linking to my discussion on Hidden Disabilities, as …[Image] Thank you for linking to my discussion on Hidden Disabilities, as someone with a Hidden Disability myself I support people with them (don't get me wrong, I absolutely would still support them if I didn't have one )I wear my Face Covering Exempt card with my lanyard and as you can see in this photo, with my hotukdeals hoodie on that day the photo was taken

I've got a lanyard where do I get the exempt from face mask card?
rochester22/07/2020 12:01

Glad to see most of the stores saying it’s not mandatory but have taken a s …Glad to see most of the stores saying it’s not mandatory but have taken a screen shot just in case some hero security guard tell me I have to wear one I also have ordered a hidden disability pass..well done for this thread @Dan_82

They're not *saying it*, they *said it*, a week ago or whenever they said it.
HaytchAyePPWhy22/07/2020 10:11

Masks are not compulsory in shops in Wales at the moment. However they are …Masks are not compulsory in shops in Wales at the moment. However they are on public transport. I wear a mask regardless when shopping and you are correct, not many people do and yes feel like a plonker. Better to be a plonked than living with guilt of being a super spreader.

Incorrect Morrison’s and Tesco are enforcing it in Wales
Edited by: "ndyanem" 22nd Jul
Our local costcutter has taken this further and said anyone under 5yrs must wear a covering when entering the shop. Even though the law is 11yrs or above.
JimmyBobby22/07/2020 13:02

I've got a lanyard where do I get the exempt from face mask card?

You can buy one for 55p + postage (£3.66 for just the card) here

Hidden Disabilities website is the only place you can officially buy the Hidden Disabilities Face Covering Exemption Card. I hope that helps
Bruh. In my local Asda supermarket employees stopped wearing facemasks and they don't even clean the tills, checkouts or trollies anymore. They just recently added in plastic dividers between the self checkouts.
Face covering, not specifically a mask, say the guidelines
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants