Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Face masks

Posted 2nd Apr
Having been told by the world Health Organisation that face masks were of little use they are now changing their guidelines and telling government to tell their citizens to wear them.If the NHS are having trouble obtaining them for front line staff where are the public expected to get them.Seems that left hand does not know what right hand is doing
Community Updates
Misc
39 Comments
Thanks for letting me know, it’s the first time I’ve heard this. Not been on the news or in the papers...
Bargainhead02/04/2020 08:08

Thanks for letting me know, it’s the first time I’ve heard this. Not been o …Thanks for letting me know, it’s the first time I’ve heard this. Not been on the news or in the papers...

It was on the news this morning
This was their advice on Monday according to sky news they are now saying otherwise

World Health Organization officials Monday said they still recommend people not wear face masks unless they are sick with Covid-19 or caring for someone who is sick.
cwj382002/04/2020 08:11

Was in the papers yesterday...
Bargainhead02/04/2020 08:08

Thanks for letting me know, it’s the first time I’ve heard this. Not been o …Thanks for letting me know, it’s the first time I’ve heard this. Not been on the news or in the papers...

On the news and net this morning
Bargainhead02/04/2020 08:35

I was being sarcastic..

Well you know what they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
cwj382002/04/2020 08:40

You are right, it is the lowest form of wit, but highest form of intelligence..

REALLY????

Make your own don't go panic buying.
fearghalg02/04/2020 09:00

Comment deleted

something is better than nothing, all sold out online
There are two different strands to masks,

A properly fitted N95 mask should stop the wearer catching anything, this is what NHS workers should be wearing.

A simple surgeons mask is designed to stop spit leaving the wearer, they are not good at stopping things getting in as they don't give a perfect seal around the mouth and nose.
If a lot of people are out and about and have the virus, if everyone is wearing the mask it could help stop the spread when the infected cough and sneeze. But if you are healthy, you may be at more risk catching it when you touch your face to adjust or remove the mask.
Not true.

Their guidance is still the same.

They are going to assess new evidence. That is what changed.
cwj382002/04/2020 08:11

This is not new news, its previous form fake news (=misinformation) for months, "masks don't work" headlines. I used the real news since January, "masks do work".
Good article on this here bbc.co.uk/new…735

Generally if you are healthy a simple surgical mask probably won't do a huge amount to help, keeping distance, not touching your face and washing your hands a lot are all probably better.

"Facemasks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good universal hygiene behaviour in order for them to be effective.

"Research also shows that compliance with these recommended behaviours reduces over time when wearing facemasks for prolonged periods.
splender02/04/2020 09:20

This is not new news, its previous form fake news (=misinformation) for …This is not new news, its previous form fake news (=misinformation) for months, "masks don't work" headlines. I used the real news since January, "masks do work".

I don't think the masks don't work was misinformation, it is true for a majority they are not best and can lead to a false sense of security which causes more problems. When there were fewer cases a simple mask wouldn't help signifcantly to stop people catching it.
Once more people have the disease then masks are maybe more useful to stop people passing it on. But there has never really been mis-information, masks in the way people have been using them don't work.
Donald trump told all his citizens to wear a scarf and cover your mouths.

I bought 1 mask from my town £1 and it’s hard to breathe. £1 is the going rate in shops in town or Facebook
The original advice was not to wear a mask (unless sick or caring for someone that is sick)- likely because most people in western countries like the UK and USA don't have them laying around and they didn't want us to all go out an buy masks when medical staff need those available as they are the most at risk. Plus there was the risk that wearing masks would give people a false sense of security and make them think it was okay to ignore more important measures like frequent hand washing and social distancing.

The reason so many countries are changing their advice is that this virus has such a long period where someone can have the virus (and potentially be spreading it around) before they show any symptoms. A surgeons mask, cloth mask or scarf wrapped around the nose and mouth doesn't do an awful lot to prevent the wearer from getting sick but what it can do is keep them from spreading drops of saliva when they talk/cough/sneeze/etc. So if everyone wore a mask of some kind every time we went out in public then it would prevent asymptomatic and presymptomatic people from unknowingly spreading the virus around. BUT the problem still remains that we have a serious shortage of masks so they need to protect the supply of proper masks for those people where it will do the most good (in other words, medical professionals). Hence why they are encouraging people to use cloth masks/scarves/etc. in many countries.
Most people don't know how to put a face mask on or take it off correctly. When you do take it off, it needs to be disposed of properly rather than reused. Since there will be panic buying of masks, the designer fashion mask will start to appear at a supermarket queue near you. I saw a guy wearing a mask made of Minions fabric yesterday.

sfcdcp.org/com…sk/
They have changed there mind about everything so i would go with your own gut instinct rather that wait on government / who advice
jon81uk02/04/2020 09:29

I don't think the masks don't work was misinformation, it is true for a …I don't think the masks don't work was misinformation, it is true for a majority they are not best and can lead to a false sense of security which causes more problems. When there were fewer cases a simple mask wouldn't help signifcantly to stop people catching it.Once more people have the disease then masks are maybe more useful to stop people passing it on. But there has never really been mis-information, masks in the way people have been using them don't work.

It was never true in general for the majority. That's why governments are changing policy and law with even more intensity of coronavirus!
splender02/04/2020 09:55

It was never true in general for the majority. That's why governments are …It was never true in general for the majority. That's why governments are changing policy and law with even more intensity of coronavirus!

But the people who wear a mask, pull it down smoke, pull it up, touch the supermarket trolley, rub their eyes, adjust the mask, pull it down to smoke again and then wear it again the next day. These people are putting themselves at greater risk by putting their hands on their face more often.
Wearing a mask to stop you passing it on to others might help, but if you are currently appearing to be healthy, you need to avoid picking up the virus from something else so proper handwashing and mask disposal is needed.
jon81uk02/04/2020 10:42

But the people who wear a mask, pull it down smoke, pull it up, touch the …But the people who wear a mask, pull it down smoke, pull it up, touch the supermarket trolley, rub their eyes, adjust the mask, pull it down to smoke again and then wear it again the next day. These people are putting themselves at greater risk by putting their hands on their face more often.Wearing a mask to stop you passing it on to others might help, but if you are currently appearing to be healthy, you need to avoid picking up the virus from something else so proper handwashing and mask disposal is needed.

Anyway, in spite of what you say, what governments had said, more and more are switching to the opposite side, wear mask side.

As for you point on asymptomatics, this was established in SARS-Cov in 2003.
Edited by: "splender" 2nd Apr
Bargainhead02/04/2020 08:43

You are right, it is the lowest form of wit, but highest form of …You are right, it is the lowest form of wit, but highest form of intelligence..

Well that’s a worry then
It's the first I've heard
Misslovely02/04/2020 09:31

Donald trump told all his citizens to wear a scarf and cover your mouths. …Donald trump told all his citizens to wear a scarf and cover your mouths. I bought 1 mask from my town £1 and it’s hard to breathe. £1 is the going rate in shops in town or Facebook

Trump has been on form with his comments, suggestions and digs at reporters recently. The man has moments of clarity and clear thoughtout plans and then goes and opens his mouth!
Edited by: "darlodge" 2nd Apr
rwf382002/04/2020 13:09

Well that’s a worry then

"Creativity is promoted for those on both the giving and receiving end of sarcastic exchanges (some times)" Scientiific Journal doi.org/10.…001
Bargainhead02/04/2020 08:35

I was being sarcastic..

@cwj3820
Therefore, the promotion is, you need to add creativity to your discussion topic. The news says WHO has offered guidance, then a possible creativity discussion, for example, is how to get hold of masks creatively , how to make masks creatively, rather than moaning about the right hand does not know the left hand, or moan about that you cannot buy masks ( if so, then a thread to ask, where to buy, maybe more helpful).
splender02/04/2020 14:39

"Creativity is promoted for those on both the giving and receiving end of …"Creativity is promoted for those on both the giving and receiving end of sarcastic exchanges (some times)" Scientiific Journal https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2015.07.001@cwj3820 Therefore, the promotion is, you need to add creativity to your discussion topic. The news says WHO has offered guidance, then a possible creativity discussion, for example, is how to get hold of masks creatively , how to make masks creatively, rather than moaning about the right hand does not know the left hand, or moan about that you cannot buy masks ( if so, then a thread to ask, where to buy, maybe more helpful).

What ever talk to the hand
Unless it’s a p2 or p3 forget it and instead wrap toilet rolls round your head for the same level of protection

We have shed loads one work as we work with chemicals so il be sorted
Its too late to buy masks cheaply now. Current price is £40 for a box of 50.

Bought mine in January. £4 for a box of 50. Also bought a few boxes when I was in Hong Kong last year.

I see more and more people wearing them now.

Also, people steer well clear of me because I am wearing a mask and East Asian which is a good thing.

We Hong Kongers and most of East Asia have always ignored the WHO advice about wearing masks.
Edited by: "Speculator" 2nd Apr
Speculator02/04/2020 16:38

Its too late to buy masks cheaply now. Current price is £40 for a box of …Its too late to buy masks cheaply now. Current price is £40 for a box of 50.Bought mine in January. £4 for a box of 50. Also bought a few boxes when I was in Hong Kong last year.I see more and more people wearing them now. Also, people steer well clear of me because I am wearing a mask and East Asian which is a good thing.We Hong Kongers and most of East Asia have always ignored the WHO advice about wearing masks.

What type of mask do you buy? Surgical or does it have a standard like ffp2? Reusable?
And where would you buy from UK as hard to know who is genuine. Always wanted to get more perspective from someone who worked or lived in Asia .
AnkerMan03/04/2020 00:01

What type of mask do you buy? Surgical or does it have a standard like …What type of mask do you buy? Surgical or does it have a standard like ffp2? Reusable? And where would you buy from UK as hard to know who is genuine. Always wanted to get more perspective from someone who worked or lived in Asia .

Bought some Barrier surgical masks from a Dental supplier on ebay. At the beginning of Feb, he was charging £5 for a box of 50 but I haggled the price down to £4 a box of 50. Bought 10 boxes and sent them to relatives in Hong Kong.
Speculator03/04/2020 00:18

Bought some Barrier surgical masks from a Dental supplier on ebay. At the …Bought some Barrier surgical masks from a Dental supplier on ebay. At the beginning of Feb, he was charging £5 for a box of 50 but I haggled the price down to £4 a box of 50. Bought 10 boxes and sent them to relatives in Hong Kong.

Nice, you did well. That's about as much as I would want to spent for 2 month's supply. Isn't it cheaper to buy a reusable mask that uses filters or is this the best way? I guess you don't listen to WHO because the message from government is more important.
AnkerMan03/04/2020 00:28

Nice, you did well. That's about as much as I would want to spent for 2 …Nice, you did well. That's about as much as I would want to spent for 2 month's supply. Isn't it cheaper to buy a reusable mask that uses filters or is this the best way? I guess you don't listen to WHO because the message from government is more important.

The majority of Hong Kongers use surgical masks and a few use N95. Not seen any use a reusable mask, probably because of availability and also probably uncomfortable to use in HK because of the very high humidity.

I've not researched into reusable masks to be honest.

Living in the UK now but we only listen to our Hong Kong health professionals. They always tell us to ignore the advice from the WHO and western experts about wearing masks.
scmp.com/new…KR0

Lessons from Hong Kong and elsewhere

One reason for the change of heart is that as Covid-19 ravaged countries like Italy and Spain, and spiked alarmingly elsewhere, experts noticed that communities used to wearing masks had recorded slower infection rates.

In Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam, wearing masks in public is so widely accepted that those who leave home barefaced risk dirty looks or being told off. In Europe, the Czech Republic and Slovakia bucked the western trend, encouraging the use of masks by everyone.
Edited by: "Speculator" 6th Apr
Speculator03/04/2020 01:00

The majority of Hong Kongers use surgical masks and a few use N95. Not …The majority of Hong Kongers use surgical masks and a few use N95. Not seen any use a reusable mask, probably because of availability and also probably uncomfortable to use in HK because of the very high humidity.I've not researched into reusable masks to be honest. Living in the UK now but we only listen to our Hong Kong health professionals. They always tell us to ignore the advice from the WHO and western experts about wearing masks.

Just remember that surgical masks are mainly designed to stop you passing something on to others. They have very little benefit in stopping you picking up a disease.

Also need to ensure people wash hands before and after removing mask and not touching face. I've seen far too many people with the mask round their neck while they smoke and this of course increases the risk of picking something up from your hands.
jon81uk06/04/2020 11:23

Just remember that surgical masks are mainly designed to stop you passing …Just remember that surgical masks are mainly designed to stop you passing something on to others. They have very little benefit in stopping you picking up a disease.Also need to ensure people wash hands before and after removing mask and not touching face. I've seen far too many people with the mask round their neck while they smoke and this of course increases the risk of picking something up from your hands.

I know. I am from Hong Kong. We have been wearing masks since 2003 and Hong Kongers are ultra hygenic.

Total deaths now in HK is 5. Latest death is imported from abroad but unsure if it's due to Covid-19.

"Health officials said on Saturday that a 20-year-old woman has died two days after she completed a mandatory 14-day home quarantine, although samples from her body tested negative for the Covid-19 virus.

The Centre for Health Protection said that the woman returned to Hong Kong from Denmark on March 19 and she had been in mandatory home quarantine since then.

It said the woman was rushed to hospital by ambulance on Saturday morning after falling ill and was declared dead there. Officials said she'd had a fever during the latter days of her quarantine period, but didn't report it to the authorities.

The centre's Chuang Shuk-kwan said throat and rectal samples from the body tested negative for Covid-19. The case has now been passed on to the coroner who will decide whether an autopsy is required."
Edited by: "Speculator" 6th Apr
Speculator06/04/2020 12:47

I know. I am from Hong Kong. We have been wearing masks since 2003 and …I know. I am from Hong Kong. We have been wearing masks since 2003 and Hong Kongers are ultra hygenic.

Sorry I should have been clearer in my quote that I'm sure you have it sorted for mask wearing and it was more a general comment that many are trying to do the same and failing by not being hygenic and not wearing the mask properly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions