Facebook Marketplace and PayPal

Posted 13th Oct
Hi, I've sold a £25 item to someone on FB marketplace and agreed to post it. They've paid me via PayPal gift .

Is it wise to send? Bit worried if the PayPal account is stolen, my money will be reversed after sending?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Surely this was a question to ask before you agreed to take payment for the item by PayPal...
17 Comments
What kind of question is this?
They can chargeback if they report it as unauthorised transaction, but for a low value item I would take the risk. Just sold something this way today, as buyer was insistent on PayPal.

If account was hacked, then you have lost your money, but selling via goods and services is even worse. Bank transfer is safest for seller but unsafe for buyers so they would be reluctant to use that.
Surely this was a question to ask before you agreed to take payment for the item by PayPal...
Haircut_10013/10/2019 19:12

Surely this was a question to ask before you agreed to take payment for …Surely this was a question to ask before you agreed to take payment for the item by PayPal...

I've not posted it yet, so asking before I do.
jamie1513/10/2019 19:12

They can chargeback if they report it as unauthorised transaction, but for …They can chargeback if they report it as unauthorised transaction, but for a low value item I would take the risk. Just sold something this way today, as buyer was insistent on PayPal.If account was hacked, then you have lost your money, but selling via goods and services is even worse. Bank transfer is safest for seller but unsafe for buyers so they would be reluctant to use that.

How much was your item? And was this via FB?
superfreddy13/10/2019 19:14

How much was your item? And was this via FB?

£15 via FB. Only accept PayPal payments for an amount of money you are willing to lose.
jamie1513/10/2019 19:16

£15 via FB. Only accept PayPal payments for an amount of money you are …£15 via FB. Only accept PayPal payments for an amount of money you are willing to lose.

I offered him another item I'm selling at a reduced rate to see if he's take that too, which he's declined. So I kinda think, if it was a scam, he would have snapped that up too.
superfreddy13/10/2019 19:17

I offered him another item I'm selling at a reduced rate to see if he's …I offered him another item I'm selling at a reduced rate to see if he's take that too, which he's declined. So I kinda think, if it was a scam, he would have snapped that up too.

Not necessarily. Easier to scam for 1 transaction than for 2, PayPal less likely to thoroughly investigate.
Edited by: "jamie15" 13th Oct
superfreddy13/10/2019 19:14

I've not posted it yet, so asking before I do.

Play it safe and refund the payment. Tell the buyer sorry, you've decided just to only do a local cash deal instead.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 13th Oct
jamie1513/10/2019 19:20

Not necessarily. Easier to scam for 1 transaction than for 2, PayPal less …Not necessarily. Easier to scam for 1 transaction than for 2, PayPal less likely to thoroughly investigate.

Hmm. Buyer has 600+ friends. Loads of activity on their Facebook page. Surely they'd use a fake Facebook too?
superfreddy13/10/2019 19:31

Hmm. Buyer has 600+ friends. Loads of activity on their Facebook page. …Hmm. Buyer has 600+ friends. Loads of activity on their Facebook page. Surely they'd use a fake Facebook too?

Yes, that is true. But it could be a hacked account too.
jamie1513/10/2019 19:12

They can chargeback if they report it as unauthorised transaction, but for …They can chargeback if they report it as unauthorised transaction, but for a low value item I would take the risk. Just sold something this way today, as buyer was insistent on PayPal.If account was hacked, then you have lost your money, but selling via goods and services is even worse. Bank transfer is safest for seller but unsafe for buyers so they would be reluctant to use that.

Someone did that to me for a measly £18.
Problem is, if you get a chargeback after receiving the PPG, you'll also be stung with some paypal fees on top for getting such a chargeback, in my case I think it was £7 or something. So you lose the product and end up paying paypal for the inconvenience.

Accept regular payments only and ship to the confirmed address within paypal.
Cheers. Have refunded him.
J4GG413/10/2019 19:53

Someone did that to me for a measly £18.Problem is, if you get a …Someone did that to me for a measly £18.Problem is, if you get a chargeback after receiving the PPG, you'll also be stung with some paypal fees on top for getting such a chargeback, in my case I think it was £7 or something. So you lose the product and end up paying paypal for the inconvenience.Accept regular payments only and ship to the confirmed address within paypal.

I forgot about the fees. I would still rather take a risk with friends and family over goods and services, both can have chargebacks but at least you don't have to pay a fee for the former option.
Sold multiple items on facebook marketplace with paypal and all went well. Some were goods and services and some were friends and family and no problems. I usually check the peoples profiles before even agreeing to meet a buyer but have never come across anything. Should be fine in my opinion
Why agree and except the money if you think it’s dodgy, either send money back or send item. They trusted you to send you money..
1. Take the risk and trust them if you have checked their profile etc. They might actually be genuine! And over thinking the situation.
2 If you didn't state in the description that you will accept pay pal and are willing to post then really shouldn't have accepted their offer
3. Refund them, and tell them that you don't feel comfortable with the pay pal transaction.

(I personally don't tend to accept payment via paypal, but thats just me. I have although purchased items and paid via paypal. Go with your instincts. )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants