Failed MOT

Found 15th May 2016
I took my car to Kwik Fit for their £27 MOT and it failed.

The below problems have been stated :
-Stop lamp not working nearside rear & offside rear
-Both Headlamps' aim too high
-Tyre has ply or cords exposed offside front , tyre has sidewall cracks *DANGEROUS*
-Near side rear number plate bulb not working
-Brakes imbalanced across an axle rear*

Advisory
-Nearside front tyre has cracks
-Nearside rear tyre has cracks , tyre has nail
-Offside rear tyre has cracks

I bought the car as used two years ago and only use it to drive to my local ASDA on a Saturday for shopping. Rest of the week, the car sits on my driveway. I am not sure how all these tyre issues have happened!

I am thinking of replacing all the tyres with branded tyres at a F1 Autocentre garage and then let them do the MOT instead. As I would have already paid them £200 for the tyres, they may be less driven to find non-exisitng faults.
Community Updates
AskMOT
81 Comments
A company that sells tyres has failed your car for its tyres on a cheap, pull-you-in MOT offer and you don't understand why????
Try somewhere else for your MOT, bet it comes back with a different result.
stuarthanley

A company that sells tyres has failed your car for its tyres on a cheap, … A company that sells tyres has failed your car for its tyres on a cheap, pull-you-in MOT offer and you don't understand why????

I honestly didn't know Kwikfit were well known for selling tyres. I always thought they are just a garage chain.
So, book MOT with a council testing centre or someone else ?
Hello!

If your light bulbs are gone and your stop lights do not work it wont pass the test any where.

If the tyres are not in road worthy condition it wont pass anywhere.

What you might get away with is "Both Headlamps' aim too high". However if they are totally off then no where will pass it.

Its just common sense to check your bulbs and tyres before you do an MOT if not every now and then before you drive! I suspect the tyres might have been damaged from not moving the car often enough?
Edited by: "groenleader" 15th May 2016
Yep go council,Kwik fit want a quick buck
My MOT garage would have changed the bulbs and alignment for me rather than fail it and just charged me for the bulbs.

Kwikfit are Scammers.

Council run MOT centres have nothing to gain by purposely failing you so, next time, give them a try.
If there's an eurofit centre nearby use them for your tyres,if fail again

I am not sure how all these tyre issues have happened!

With regards to tyres cracking, if you do 20k miles a year your tyres will generally be better off than if you had done 40k miles, but if you only take the car out once a week your tyres would probably last longer if you did double or triple the mileage. There are going to fall apart from cracking long before they wear out.
How surprising that kwik fit failed it on all the things they sell? Although if they are right they may have saved your life, personally I would never take my car there!
How old is the car? This doesnt seem like a bad fail list t b honest 3 bulbs a tyre and a beamset?
123batman321

How old is the car? This doesnt seem like a bad fail list t b honest 3 … How old is the car? This doesnt seem like a bad fail list t b honest 3 bulbs a tyre and a beamset?

Good point
Tyres can perish on low mileage cars. I usually replace my tyres because of cracks rather than wear. Do not trust Kwik Fit. They put a wrong size tyre on my partners car. Did not notice until Ford failed the MOT.
Very surprising how many people drive around with dodgy tyres and brake lights, I often out of courtesy let them know, make them aware but then I think to myself why bother, my last 3 cars have bulb malfunction lights and warnings so they probably already know anyway and probably chose to ignore or simply don't know what the lights/warnings mean. It concerns me that their are so many potential death traps about. A simple thing like checking your lights and tyres could save yours or some other peoples live. It takes less than a minute to do a basic check.
How old are the tyres? If they don't get used much they will start to crack nothing mysterious about that, as for the cords showing then thats clear to see and you could have been given 3 points if stopped by police. I'd go as far as saying your not clued up on cars at all are you?

If you could show pictures of the tyres, that would help.

As for the lights if they don't work they won't pass any MOT anywhere.

Alignment too high, most garages would just adjust them at the time of the MOT, however if the lights are fully adjusted or have some damage to them you may need replacements (the whole unit not just bulbs) Get them from a scrap yard, normally only a couple of bolts to undo and cost about £20 each.

To be honest thats not a bad fail sheet, simple cheap fixes.
So a couple of bulbs and one tyre for a pass
What's the problem
Nobody else will pass it with those faults
You don't have to do the advisory's to get a pass certificate
Put the spare on if its a matching wheel / tyre size , get the bulbs done and get the not done
Leave Kwik fit and never return and get 4 tyres somewhere else
stuarthanley

My MOT garage would have changed the bulbs and alignment for me rather … My MOT garage would have changed the bulbs and alignment for me rather than fail it and just charged me for the bulbs. Kwikfit are Scammers. Council run MOT centres have nothing to gain by purposely failing you so, next time, give them a try.

They are supposed to fail it then carry out repairs even if its just a bulb then retest
That's the correct way
And yes I know some garages do it to save time
Bradleigh

They are supposed to fail it then carry out repairs even if its just a … They are supposed to fail it then carry out repairs even if its just a bulb then retestThat's the correct wayAnd yes I know some garages do it to save time

Seems a bit of a backward procedure
stuarthanley

Seems a bit of a backward procedure

It is and that's vosa for you
Pain in the **** tbh
Simple repairs at time of test should be allowed
you use it once a week, leave it sat on the drive otherwise, and don't know why the tyres failed? just look at the tyre and see if you can actually see the cords..
I am assuming this is a corded tyre ?
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/vjuntunen/040620111282.jpg

If yes, none of my tyres are in bad condition like that!
mclovin9091

How old are the tyres? If they don't get used much they will start to … How old are the tyres? If they don't get used much they will start to crack nothing mysterious about that, as for the cords showing then thats clear to see and you could have been given 3 points if stopped by police. I'd go as far as saying your not clued up on cars at all are you?If you could show pictures of the tyres, that would help. As for the lights if they don't work they won't pass any MOT anywhere.Alignment too high, most garages would just adjust them at the time of the MOT, however if the lights are fully adjusted or have some damage to them you may need replacements (the whole unit not just bulbs) Get them from a scrap yard, normally only a couple of bolts to undo and cost about £20 each.To be honest thats not a bad fail sheet, simple cheap fixes.

Youa re right, I am not clued up on the internals of a car - the belts, pistons and what not. I just drive it lol. I am not sure how old are the tyres. They were provided by the used car dealer when I bought the car two years ago. The car is a 2001 model. I shall take some photos tomorrow and post them.
Edited by: "zworld" 15th May 2016

Cords showing on any tyre is a severe danger. That's a moderate example in the picture. I've seen worse, but any tyre with any amount of the inner carcass of it showing is a danger to your safety and that of others around you as you drive about. They are designed to take a level of damage but when the cords are starting to show the tyre is too far gone.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/pass-my-mot/

Before you take a car to the MOT station you should follow a guide like the above as it's an easy way to avoid having to pay more to get the car through an MOT because it fails for something you can avoid in the first place. Additionally, it's basic maintenance that you should be carrying out technically daily, but most people won't do it that often. At the very least you should be doing it frequently. Literally the entire list of basic checks is easily completed when you're doing other things.

Sitting in traffic, check your indicators, headlights, brake lights etc reflecting on other cars
Wipers it's pretty obvious if you need to replace them when it's raining
Tyres, when you put stuff in the car or take stuff out from the shops, a quick look at the tyres on whatever side of the car is nearest you can quickly confirm any obvious damage and the wear levels using the wear bars in the rubber.
Check the oil and fluids when you fill the car up as most places have free facilities for air and water and paper towel that you can use to test the oil.

zworld

I am assuming this is a corded tyre ?If yes, none of my tyres are in bad … I am assuming this is a corded tyre ?If yes, none of my tyres are in bad condition like that!

-Stop lamp not working nearside rear & offside rear-Both Headlamps' aim … -Stop lamp not working nearside rear & offside rear-Both Headlamps' aim too high-Tyre has ply or cords exposed offside front , tyre has sidewall cracks *DANGEROUS*-Near side rear number plate bulb not working

mclovin9091

How old are the tyres? If they don't get used much they will start to … How old are the tyres? If they don't get used much they will start to crack nothing mysterious about that, as for the cords showing then thats clear to see and you could have been given 3 points if stopped by police. I'd go as far as saying your not clued up on cars at all are you?If you could show pictures of the tyres, that would help. As for the lights if they don't work they won't pass any MOT anywhere.Alignment too high, most garages would just adjust them at the time of the MOT, however if the lights are fully adjusted or have some damage to them you may need replacements (the whole unit not just bulbs) Get them from a scrap yard, normally only a couple of bolts to undo and cost about £20 each.To be honest thats not a bad fail sheet, simple cheap fixes.

Given this comment, I would strongly recommend that you consider taking up some basic maintenance. If not for the rest of the users of the road, but for your own safety and that of any friends/family you might be ferrying about. Youtube is full of guides on basic maintenance that you can learn from. It literally takes 5 minutes and given that you are using a 4 wheeled death machine it's worth the time and effort at least once a week.

The fact from your past postings that your car is an automatic, that you have third party F&T insurance suggests to me that you are relatively new to driving and/or not the most confidant driver. If you take a bit of time and interest in learning a bit more about how your car works and how the basic checks make things safer for you I'd almost argue that you might be a bit more confidant, especially in regards to the consequences of not doing them.
Edited by: "Astec123" 15th May 2016
40 notes a corner. Keep yor winter tyres in the garage. Change the oil every 5k, synthetic of course.
Kwik-fit aren't all that bad. Took mine in last year and mine failed on the headlight washers. Guy banged in a fuse and passed for me (and didnt charge for the fuse)
termite

40 notes a corner. Keep yor winter tyres in the garage. Change the oil … 40 notes a corner. Keep yor winter tyres in the garage. Change the oil every 5k, synthetic of course.

£40 a corner? I wanna know your supplier
zworld

I am assuming this is a corded tyre ?If yes, none of my tyres are in bad … I am assuming this is a corded tyre ?If yes, none of my tyres are in bad condition like that!

​yep that's the failed one. Not the worst but not safe either. Basically the inner part of the tyre has worn more than the outer resulting in the tread wearing away completely.

There are a couple of issues that may cause this but as the MOT didn't pick up anything to do with your suspension being at fault ID say that either the track rod end needs replacing or your tracking is out.

You can get the tracking checked and adjusted (if needs be) for £30, it's recommended that you get it done when changing tyres if you have uneven tread wear.

Do you recall hitting a large pothole/kerb?
mclovin9091

​yep that's the failed one. Not the worst but not safe either. Basically t … ​yep that's the failed one. Not the worst but not safe either. Basically the inner part of the tyre has worn more than the outer resulting in the tread wearing away completely.There are a couple of issues that may cause this but as the MOT didn't pick up anything to do with your suspension being at fault ID say that either the track rod end needs replacing or your tracking is out.You can get the tracking checked and adjusted (if needs be) for £30, it's recommended that you get it done when changing tyres if you have uneven tread wear.Do you recall hitting a large pothole/kerb?

I think by the wording of the fail sheet as op has typed it the cracks on the sidewall are deep enough to see the cord through. Very common as the rubber perishes
Bradleigh

It is and that's vosa for youPain in the **** tbhSimple repairs at time … It is and that's vosa for youPain in the **** tbhSimple repairs at time of test should be allowed

Sinple repairs are allowed. Its called prs.

Correct way is to do the simple repair such as adjust headlamps and log it as prs when printing the pass

Most testers dont bother you just do the repair and pass it as if you use prs it logs it as a fail against the tester

Usual things i do is fit a bulb wiper blade adjust a headlight put a fuse in for screenwash if its not working small things like that
zworld

Youa re right, I am not clued up on the internals of a car - the belts, … Youa re right, I am not clued up on the internals of a car - the belts, pistons and what not. I just drive it lol. I am not sure how old are the tyres. They were provided by the used car dealer when I bought the car two years ago. The car is a 2001 model. I shall take some photos tomorrow and post them.

tyres have an age stamped on the side, since rubber over time it can split and crack.

kwik-fit.com/tyr…age
Do a few basic checks yourself before an MOT and once a week (or maybe once a month in really low milage cases like yours). Check tyres for bulging/damage nails etc including sidewalls. Check tread is 1.6mm across 75% of tyre, there must still be visible tread on the other 25%. If it's getting anywhere near that low I would replace before an MOT to save argument. Check pressures regularly if you checked them when it's freezing outside then in hot weather it makes a difference same as checking when hot outside and then freezing conditions come. Check all lights (don't forget numberplate lights), oil, coolant and washer levels. I check rear/brake lights when driving by looking at reflections in windows in rear view mirror, either parking outside a shop or in our village there's a great 90 degree bend.

Your headlight alignment could be as simple as the lamps being incorrectly fitted, they only fit correctly in one orientation, although it's easy to locate one of the three lugs, fit the clip and think it's fine. I suspect that's what causes most badly aligned lamps you see on the road. I had a £300 bill 25 years ago for freeing both headlamp adjusters when I believe the apprentice couldn't get full adjustment because the lamps were incorrectly fitted, and took him hours to notice.
take your car to a "Good Garage Scheme" member for the MOT...
CLICK
If you only drive the car once a week, then you'll only need budget tyres or even partly worn tyres.
Looking at the tyre it seems a very valid reason to fail.

The light issues should just be a 5 minute job and a couple of quid depending on car.
Also if the tyre has worn as the one above (which isn't one of yours) the tracking is well out and needs adjusting, unless wear is on the outside of the nearside wheel and you live in Milton Keynes.
Why on earth have you even got a car if it's only used once a week to go to your local asda? Either use a taxi or get a delivery. Far cheaper.
zworld

I took my car to Kwik Fit for their £27 MOT and it failed.The below … I took my car to Kwik Fit for their £27 MOT and it failed.The below problems have been stated :-Stop lamp not working nearside rear & offside rear-Both Headlamps' aim too high-Tyre has ply or cords exposed offside front , tyre has sidewall cracks *DANGEROUS*-Near side rear number plate bulb not workingAdvisory-Nearside front tyre has cracks-Nearside rear tyre has cracks , tyre has nail-Offside rear tyre has cracksI bought the car as used two years ago and only use it to drive to my local ASDA on a Saturday for shopping. Rest of the week, the car sits on my driveway. I am not sure how all these tyre issues have happened!I am thinking of replacing all the tyres with branded tyres at a F1 Autocentre garage and then let them do the MOT instead. As I would have already paid them £200 for the tyres, they may be less driven to find non-exisitng faults.

3 bulbs, headlamp adjustment, and 4 new tyres* to pass MOT and clear the advisories** isn't too bad for a 15 year old car

The tyres* you could have spread over the previous couple of months had you simply noticed the wear earlier, particularly the nail oO

* Assuming of course you do need new tyres, might be worth stopping at another garage for a second opinion.

** 3 new bulbs no more than £10, and possibly put your best 2 tyres on the front (with a view to putting 2 new ones on very soon ) for your mileage I'd say budget tyres are ample, guessing £50 each for 2 new rear tyres, so all in all £27 for MOT and around £110 for bulbs and tyres, less than £200 to pass, and £100 or so next month on 2 new tyres.

Edited by: "andynicol" 16th May 2016
joedastudd

Looking at the tyre it seems a very valid reason to fail.

That's not my tyre. I just picked it up from the net to confirm what a corded tyre looks like
chocci

Why on earth have you even got a car if it's only used once a week to go … Why on earth have you even got a car if it's only used once a week to go to your local asda? Either use a taxi or get a delivery. Far cheaper.

Sometimes I need to pick up or drop off mates/family members at the airport. And the odd things like helping a mate move house, etc.
Here's my tyres :

http://s32.postimg.org/p2qko0fys/20160516_181711.jpg
http://s32.postimg.org/gqutmril0/20160516_181727.jpg
http://s32.postimg.org/9val3no44/20160516_181736.jpg
http://s32.postimg.org/4st98vetw/20160516_181744.jpg
Those tyres have all had it
Middle two pics , they are close on the wear bars
The others are all perished and id certainly change them
If not for your sake , for others using the road
Are they inflated correctly out of interest
Post a comment
@