Groups

Fair spec PC

Could anyone suggest a reasonable spec desktop available atm. I don't need top quality but speed is important. I have an ssd already I could use in it if necessary. Hopefully there's something -£400. Thanks

11 Comments

What will you be using it for? Do you want something pre-built or are you willing to build it yourself?

Original Poster

ElGofre

What will you be using it for? Do you want something pre-built or are you … What will you be using it for? Do you want something pre-built or are you willing to build it yourself?

I don't mind building one but haven't done so for 10 years lol. It's mainly for the missus and kid (office/education) but needs to be quick as neither me nor the boy have any patience and needs to be able to handle video well

Original Poster

What are these things like??..
    m.ebay.co.uk/itm…3A2
    Pile of tat or value?

Scum, they didn't give much details about it, probably because it's ****. GPU is AMD R7...its like, "I got a car, its a Ford". Very specific isn't it? Power supply is to be changed immediately, like in any pre-build PC (timing bomb, you don't want that). And CPU is slow and weak.

Original Poster

HavocLP

Scum, they didn't give much details about it, probably because it's ****. … Scum, they didn't give much details about it, probably because it's ****. GPU is AMD R7...its like, "I got a car, its a Ford". Very specific isn't it? Power supply is to be changed immediately, like in any pre-build PC (timing bomb, you don't want that). And CPU is slow and weak.

Thanks for that, I'm so out of the loop, sounds like I dodged a bullet just considering it

Original Poster

Just stumbled into an idea looking through my old bits n bobs. I have an old but fairly capable laptop with a faulty display. Does anyone have any experience with using a laptop as a desktop via dock station ?

AnonAnonAgain3 m ago

Just stumbled into an idea looking through my old bits n bobs. I have an …Just stumbled into an idea looking through my old bits n bobs. I have an old but fairly capable laptop with a faulty display. Does anyone have any experience with using a laptop as a desktop via dock station ?

You don't need a docking station, you just need to have the correct cable - does the laptop have HDMI output? If not, DVI? You just need to find a video cable that connects the laptop to a monitor, then hook up a keyboard/ mouse by USB, then probably download a program that allows the laptop to continue running even when the cover is closed (some laptops may have this option built-in). The plus point of this approach is if you try it and decide the performance isn't good enough, the monitor, keyboard and mouse would then just be used for a desktop anyway.

Original Poster

Muir

You don't need a docking station, you just need to have the correct … You don't need a docking station, you just need to have the correct cable - does the laptop have HDMI output? If not, DVI? You just need to find a video cable that connects the laptop to a monitor, then hook up a keyboard/ mouse by USB, then probably download a program that allows the laptop to continue running even when the cover is closed (some laptops may have this option built-in). The plus point of this approach is if you try it and decide the performance isn't good enough, the monitor, keyboard and mouse would then just be used for a desktop anyway.

Thanks. I have 2 laptops one has a hdmi and vga, the other has hdmi and DisplayPort I think. I'll pick up a monitor tomorrow and give it a test

AnonAnonAgain

I don't mind building one but haven't done so for 10 years lol. It's … I don't mind building one but haven't done so for 10 years lol. It's mainly for the missus and kid (office/education) but needs to be quick as neither me nor the boy have any patience and needs to be able to handle video well

I would personally either go for a custom build using this partlist, or pick up this very similar spec pre-built from eBuyer and purchase the Windows 10 code off Amazon from the PCPartPicker page. The zoostorm is slightly cheaper but lacks the operating system or wireless network card, and once you've added those in the price is close enough to justify the self-build for the more robust CPU- not only does it have more headroom in terms of wattage, meaning you can add a GPU at a later date for a nice little gaming machine, but the PSUs in cheap pre-builts have a habit of being fairly crappy in general.

The G4560 is basically a 6th generation Core i3 processor that takes a 10% reduction in clock speed and becomes 50% less expensive, it's an awesome value processor for budget builds and will handle the tasks you need nicely. 8GB of RAM is plenty for day to day tasks, and the combination of your SSD and a 1TB HDD means you can enjoy rapid boot and loading times for the OS and key programs, with a conventional drive for mass storage. The power supply is 80+ rated for reliability and efficiency, and the other bits and bobs are just the cheapest options available without compromising the capabilities of the system.

As mentioned above, the crappy "super duper fast gaming PC!!!1!1!" that you find on eBay are almost always piles of crap, usually built around aging AMD processors which they overclock as high as they can without the system burning down so that it sounds super awesome and fast. It's a bad sign when they just say things like "R7 graphics", odds are it's a bottom end card from the dawn of the 200 series. I would also strongly advise against buying one.

AnonAnonAgain

What are these things … What are these things like??..http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FAST-Quad-Core-Gaming-PC-Tower-PC-With-WIFI-8GB-1TB-HDD-Windows-10-/252699767696?hash=item3ad6147390%3Ag%3AtAIAAOSwYvFZNsZX&_trkparms=pageci%253A6849e009-600e-11e7-89b4-74dbd180db2d%257Cparentrq%253A0953ae0e15d0a629ab11fd52fff397a9%257Ciid%253A2Pile of tat or value?

Its pretty good pc but its definately not for gaming . Ive got an identical build. N it was a mistake . Because theres no real upgrades for future. Its old fm 2 . This time im going with either ryzen 5 1400 or an i5 7400 . Paired with gtx 1060. But it will cost around 500 + . What is your budget
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has anyone bought fitted wardrobes from Sharps?12
      2. Can you machine wash wool suit trousers that state "dry clean only"?77
      3. Are smart parking limited legitimate11
      4. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz22

See more discussions