fake £20 note. JustEat

Found 1st Jun 2017
I bought some takeaway from JustEat, using a £20. Day later. The restaurant calls me saying it's a fake and wants me to pay another £20.

Do I have to pay them as I didn't know it was a fake?

Tia
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
No. Tell them to just eat some humble pie.
Tell them to hand the £20 to the police. They can't prove you gave it to them and if they'd given you a fake note it's all you could do (_;)
How would they know a day later, which cash came from which customer? It's likely that they're just trying it on and calling different people to see who bites.
this ^
Unless it was the one of the only £20s they took that night., I don't see how.

Takeaway drivers only carry a float and every takeaway owner I know cash out at the end of the night.
simply say no ..
.no ... no... no... no...
I'd tell them to contact the police too. The delivery driver could have swapped it for all the takeaway owner knows.
Well they can't prove it was you who gave them a fake note so ignore them.
no. just have no contact with this restaurant again.
Which takeaway was it? I have some money to launder

https://i2.wp.com/www.caracaschronicles.com/wp-poricontent/uploads/2016/11/Monopoly-board-game-money.jpg
Ignore and write a review on just eat
Report them to Just Eat
no like everyone says what poof do they have it cam from you.
If you did pay them with a £20 then all the theory's about calling everyone and taking a punt are possibly not true.
If you also didn't get the £20 from a cashpoint this would also still keep you in the running to have accidentally passed it on.

Just because you didn't know it was fake does not mean you shouldn't accept responsibility.

However you really need to take into consideration the actual place you ordered from. If you think they are possibly not genuine then call the police and let then know.
They could be scamming everyone and actually passing back £100's a week to customers.

Legally they are not able to give you the £20 back. So If they will do this I'd say they are scammers. If they will only show it you but not give it you then I'd say they sound honest.

So it could be a question of your own morals.
Do you wanna rip the takeaway off or not..

If your 50/50 on it you could say as they can't prove it but as a goodwill gesture you will trust them and give them £10

Also if the owner is mean they may be threatening to take the money from the delivery guys wages.. which is possibly illegal but some places would do anyway.

Without any info on the takeaway is difficult to say. I know my local I would trust. However all my money would have came from a cash machine from a bank so highly unlikely for me to see one.

The only time I ever did get one was actually in Ibiza.. funny enough staff at pizza hut were giving tourists fake €50 in change..
(It was before the € though so not a euro note)
I knew where we got the change from and it took them about an hour to give me my money back.. I can only presume they were in on it and had to call the person who did it and get them back to the shop to give me my money back..
Edited by: "Dawsy" 1st Jun 2017
surely it's the guy who took the cash off you responsibility. if anything. he should have to replace it. don't worry. tell them they can't prove it
I think Dawsy works for your takeaway
Thanks for all your replies. Do I legally have to pay another £20 though if it were to be my note unknowingly.
Ring them and say you're sorry they've accepted a fake note, but to the best of your knowledge you are not responsible, however you are going to phone the police as you feel they could be trying to coerce you into accepting responsibility. Then ring the police. If they can't get their money back they will, in all likelihood pass it back into circulation rather than hand it in.
Assuming the note was passed to the delivery person, he was their agent and accepted payment much the same as if he gave you a five pound note instead of a ten pound note in your change. Your query would then be with the company as he was their agent.
andrewlaw9

Ha ha what "poof" xx
Tell them 2 do 1
Many shops have a sign saying 'Please check your change before leaving as mistakes cannot be rectified later'. Just tell them you have a similar sign by your front door.
Dawsy

If you did pay them with a £20 then all the theory's about calling … If you did pay them with a £20 then all the theory's about calling everyone and taking a punt are possibly not true.If you also didn't get the £20 from a cashpoint this would also still keep you in the running to have accidentally passed it on.Just because you didn't know it was fake does not mean you shouldn't accept responsibility.However you really need to take into consideration the actual place you ordered from. If you think they are possibly not genuine then call the police and let then know.They could be scamming everyone and actually passing back £100's a week to customers.Legally they are not able to give you the £20 back. So If they will do this I'd say they are scammers. If they will only show it you but not give it you then I'd say they sound honest.So it could be a question of your own morals.Do you wanna rip the takeaway off or not..If your 50/50 on it you could say as they can't prove it but as a goodwill gesture you will trust them and give them £10Also if the owner is mean they may be threatening to take the money from the delivery guys wages.. which is possibly illegal but some places would do anyway.Without any info on the takeaway is difficult to say. I know my local I would trust. However all my money would have came from a cash machine from a bank so highly unlikely for me to see one. The only time I ever did get one was actually in Ibiza.. funny enough staff at pizza hut were giving tourists fake €50 in change..(It was before the € though so not a euro note)I knew where we got the change from and it took them about an hour to give me my money back.. I can only presume they were in on it and had to call the person who did it and get them back to the shop to give me my money back..

Er no.
They have no proof it was op's and op had no proof. "Please check your change before you leave the shop as mistakes cannot be rectified after."
You see that in many shops, so their delivery driver is at fault for not checking it at the door.
It's more likely a scam, and unless they can categorically prove it was op's, they are legless.
Say it was you that went back to the shop the next day and said you gave me a fake note i'm sure they would tell you where to get off bloody cheek.
Edited by: "waterloo" 1st Jun 2017
andrewlaw9

http://www.jacobzflores.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/5350_688_800.jpg
blueroo

Er no. They have no proof it was op's and op had no proof. "Please check … Er no. They have no proof it was op's and op had no proof. "Please check your change before you leave the shop as mistakes cannot be rectified after." You see that in many shops, so their delivery driver is at fault for not checking it at the door.It's more likely a scam, and unless they can categorically prove it was op's, they are legless.

And in addition, OP is not responsible legally or morally for how the shop then behaves. If they choose to illegally try to pass the note to another customer, or tries to take it out of the delivery driver's pay, or whatever else they might do - that's entirely on them, nothing to do with the OP (as long as OP never suspected it was a counterfeit). OP shouldn't feel like they have to 'make it up' to the shop just to stop the shop from being dodgy to someone else (which of course is an assumption - the shop might just do the right thing and give it to the police).

Edited by: "Muir" 1st Jun 2017
if you give me their phone number, i will call them and ask for my £20 quid change again as they gave me a fake £20 quid note last year oO
Or its the driver swapping your 20 for their fake 20
Sounds like they're money laundering. They have a wad of fake twenties and try and change them with unsuspecting customers. Let the cops know and avoid or pay by card next time.
Tell them to whistle, for all you know the driver swapped your genuine note for a fake or the shop took the fake and they're contacting multiple customers to see who bites.
Ignore them, they can't prove anything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants