Fake eBay invoice doing the rounds - Could lead to Ransomeware

SuperEd 9
Found 11th Sep 2017
Hey all, i know some of you are pretty savvy with things like this but there's a lot of reports on this this morning and just trying to make you all aware - PLEASE do not click/download any software - if you're unsure if real or not, check the email address it came from and/or log in to eBay via a new tab direct from site and you can check your account from there - do not go via the email/links you've been sent.

''The fake email tells users that they've spent a hefty amount of money on the auction site and that they should pay the invoice via a download link.

But by clicking on the link, shoppers will accidentally install a Locky Ransomware onto your computer.

The scam works by scrambling and renaming all of your files with a virus and will them prompt you to spend money on a decryption key to fix the problem.''

Usually they'll ask for payment in bitcoins which can be extremely hard to trace

Alert: Don't click on the download link within these fake eBay emails, it leads to #LockyRansomware . We've received 50+ reports so far!

2786809-BWGnI.jpg
twitter.com/act…729

If still unsure contact eBay directly
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
9 Comments
Obligatory reminder to everyone to keep your data backed up, and disconnected from your PC.

It doesn't take much effort. If you've got only a few GBs of important data, keep it backed up online. If you've got lots of data, buy a USB harddrive, and connect it to your PC just once a week or so, to copy all your new data across.

For best practice, use an automated backup tool to create incremental backups of your stuff. I use Cobain Backup, which is free, easy to set up, and once you've told it what you want backed up, actually making a backup is just a one-click process. You can use Bitlocker to encrypt and protect your data in case anyone steals the harddrive. Keep the harddrive somewhere offsite (maybe in your garage, or locked away at work), and your data will be even safer.
Would having an updated internet security package help with these things?
I'm guessing it would automatically block whatever malicious attempt is made when you inadvertently click on such a link?
Destard29 m ago

Would having an updated internet security package help with these …Would having an updated internet security package help with these things?I'm guessing it would automatically block whatever malicious attempt is made when you inadvertently click on such a link?

The problem with antivirus etc softwares is people become reliant on them, and they're not effective enough to be your sole protection. If it's not 100% up to date, it's essentially not there
Thank you
and just to be doubly sure I wont pay the penny I have owed them for about fifteen years
Where do I pay this invoice, I have entered a couple of credit cards into it and my PayPal but it just keeps taking me to the eBay screen.
Just in case to are unfortunate enough to click it.

pcworld.com/art…tml
Good tips but its come to a point, I never click any links from email. Legit or not. They are getting harder to spot
with some having your full name on it.
Destard11th Sep

Would having an updated internet security package help with these …Would having an updated internet security package help with these things?I'm guessing it would automatically block whatever malicious attempt is made when you inadvertently click on such a link?

In most cases it will, but the more capable fraudsters and malware authors will make some minor modifications to the malware package they are using and run it through all the popular anti-virus programs until it passes undetected. Which will give them a window of at least several hours to spread it.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Sep 2017
Dawsy22 h, 35 m ago

Where do I pay this invoice, I have entered a couple of credit cards into …Where do I pay this invoice, I have entered a couple of credit cards into it and my PayPal but it just keeps taking me to the eBay screen.

try western union
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants