Fake HMRC phone calls doing the rounds again

Editor 16
Found 22nd Mar
Just had a call on the landline from a Manchester number and when I answered it was a recorded message saying this is HMRC you owe us money and we are starting a law suit against you press one to speak to your case handler. I knew it was a fake straight away so pressed one and spoke to a lovely man who it was quite obvious was not calling from Manchester and I politely told him that I wasn't falling for this scam and would not be purchasing any iTunes vouchers for him. He gave me a mouthful of abuse and hung up on me but please just let people who may be vunerable know this is doing the rounds again.

I have just looked on my local area Facebook group and lots of people have been targeted in the last week and for the 100 people that know its a scam there is always one or two who don't so just let them know and if any doubt ring the HMRC enquiry line or email phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk with the time they called and the phone number they called from

See below article for more details -

Residents are being warned of scammers contacting victims claiming to be from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

The callers, which have targeted a number of homeowners in the area in the past few days, trick people into paying bogus debts and taxes using iTunes gift cards.

OWL (Online Watch Link Association) issued further information about the scam this afternoon, stating that over the weekend there have been a number of calls to elderly persons across the region purporting to be from the HMRC.

The caller states that the aggrieved person owes them money before requesting that the person buys an iTunes vouchers to pay the outstanding bill. Such vouchers can be purchased at supermarkets across the counties.

Details released by OWL state that fortunately some supermarket staff have thought that this is suspicious and have stopped the elderly person from going ahead with this fraud. However some victims have already been conned into sending over the details of the vouchers and enquiries are in hand to catch these people.

Officers are visiting the local supermarkets to speak to the managers to make them aware.
Community Updates
Misc
16 Comments
I don't understand how anyone can fall for this.
It's not like scam phone calls have only just been invented.
"...spoke to a lovely man who it was quite obvious was not calling from Manchester..."

Are you saying that Mancunian males cannot be lovely men?

Poor @deeky
Original Poster Editor
Uranus22nd Mar

I don't understand how anyone can fall for this.It's not like scam phone …I don't understand how anyone can fall for this.It's not like scam phone calls have only just been invented.

I think it’s because it’s the HMRC - older people are very frightened of the taxman (person)
fanpages2 m ago

"...spoke to a lovely man who it was quite obvious was not calling from …"...spoke to a lovely man who it was quite obvious was not calling from Manchester..."Are you saying that Mancunian males cannot be lovely men?Poor @deeky

'...spoke to a lovely man so it was quite obvious he was calling from Manchester...'

Fixed.
Uranus22nd Mar

I don't understand how anyone can fall for this.It's not like scam phone …I don't understand how anyone can fall for this.It's not like scam phone calls have only just been invented.

emribena22nd Mar

I think it’s because it’s the HMRC - older people are very frightened of th …I think it’s because it’s the HMRC - older people are very frightened of the taxman (person)

...and the elderly think paying tax involves buying iTunes vouchers?

Yeah... OK.
Don't be worried or anything, I still have two arrest warrants outstanding from them.
Original Poster Editor
fanpages13 m ago

"...spoke to a lovely man who it was quite obvious was not calling from …"...spoke to a lovely man who it was quite obvious was not calling from Manchester..."Are you saying that Mancunian males cannot be lovely men?Poor @deeky

Not at all but it was very obvious “David” was not calling from Manchester. Would of gladly spoke to Noel and Liam Gallagher all day
emribena10 m ago

Not at all but it was very obvious “David” was not calling from Man …Not at all but it was very obvious “David” was not calling from Manchester. Would of gladly spoke to Noel and Liam Gallagher all day

Why was it obvious?

(If anybody else had written something like that in a thread they would be "reported" as racist)
Original Poster Editor
fanpages15 m ago

Why was it obvious?(If anybody else had written something like that in a …Why was it obvious?(If anybody else had written something like that in a thread they would be "reported" as racist)

Not racist in the slightest he started ranting at me in a different language when I told him I knew it was a scam and have looked the number they called off up and it’s on all the caller review sites. Nothing I have said makes me racist in the slightest. If you want to report me feel free but can’t see your point sorry?
emribena1 m ago

Not racist in the slightest he started ranting at me in a different …Not racist in the slightest he started ranting at me in a different language when I told him I knew it was a scam and have looked the number they called off up and it’s on all the caller review sites. Nothing I have said makes me racist in the slightest. If you want to report me feel free but can’t see your point sorry?

What number was it then? I surprised you didn't mention that in the opening comment.
Original Poster Editor
fanpages3 m ago

What number was it then? I surprised you didn't mention that in the …What number was it then? I surprised you didn't mention that in the opening comment.

There are a few numbers that apparently call but the one I had was 01618509420
I think it's great you can now pay the HMRC with iTunes gift cards. Wonder what kind of music they are into?
emribena4 m ago

There are a few numbers that apparently call but the one I had was …There are a few numbers that apparently call but the one I had was 01618509420

Thanks. The elderly you referred to can now block that number so they are not hassled.

Another one that operates in the same way (pretending to be Barclays Financial Services) is 0161 804 5496.

So, just @deeky that is a lovely Mancunian then, it seems
Retro891 h, 48 m ago

I think it's great you can now pay the HMRC with iTunes gift cards. Wonder …I think it's great you can now pay the HMRC with iTunes gift cards. Wonder what kind of music they are into?

can only think of the Beatles ......
deleted265520
fanpages6 h, 0 m ago

Why was it obvious?(If anybody else had written something like that in a …Why was it obvious?(If anybody else had written something like that in a thread they would be "reported" as racist)

Is it a requirement to have a manc accent if you come from Manchester?
Heaven forbid you don't.
I wouldn't have even pressed 1.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants