Fake news stories, fun and I enjoy reading them, but.......

4 replies
Found 25th Jun 2014
I enjoy reading crazy fake news stories from time to time, they can be quite funny and very imaginative at times.

However, when they use real life people are they going too far? Is there not a law against this?

For example the Oprah one here, saying she has put up bail to get that so called good looking criminal out of jail and offering him a role on her talk show.

Surely the owners of these sites are leaving themselves open to criminal proceedings? I did not think you were allowed to go around making up false stories about real people, or can you? Is there a grey area?

empirenews.net/opr…ks/

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
4 Comments

Well, the about does say it's the contributor who will be libel if there's a problem :p. I've never heard of the site and actually from reading the link alone, I wouldn't have known it was a satire entertainment site. The story is plausible I spose lol.

Empire News is a satirical and entertainment website. We only use … Empire News is a satirical and entertainment website. We only use invented names in all our stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.All contributors are responsible for the content of their own material in respect to (but not limited to) copyright, libel and defamation.The content of this web-site (graphics, text and other elements) is © Copyright 2014 Empire News LLC and may not be reprinted or re-transmitted in whole or in part without the express written consent of the publisher.Empire News and the Empire News social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, etc) are not intended for people under 18 years of age.If you are aware of any copyright infringement or have any other queries or complaints, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can investigate and, where necessary, correct the problem. Please accept our apologies in advance on behalf of any contribution which has offended.

Original Poster

Yeah never thought to read the terms.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition67731
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…11
    3. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43

See more discussions