fake / scam emails

Found 14th Dec 2017
How do you usually tell apart a scam email to a legitimate one ? Just had a very convincing one with my name on saying I've bought a home insurance policy for £122 which I haven't .its got policy documents enclosed on the email but I haven't opened them as I'm still not sure if it's a scam ? It Does appear to be a real policy provider .surely if someone has infact used my card then all there details will be on the emai
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Click the email address it came from
Usually when I receive an email from someone I have never dealt with.

You can always check with your bank if you think someone has your details, but it is usually just a scam
Check your Bank /Credit card account . Even if the money has not been withdrawn yet , the amount should show straight away as a reduction in your available balance . Would seem unlikely though that someone would steal your card details to buy you a Home insurance policy - Not a lot of use to the thief . Presumably yhe "policy " will be in the form of an attachment - Don't open it to look .!
Edited by: "rogparki" 14th Dec 2017
I got one 'allegedly' from Pandora the other day. Concerning (and rather clever) thing was that a windows login box appeared when I tried to read it. Login was for one of my printers, deleted it but I wonder what they wanted to print.....
I normally only find out a couple of months after the bank transfer!

Won countless lotteries in my time and inherited enough money to rival Branson!

Keep your head up and persevere, next one might not be a scam..
Original Poster
Hi yeah I'm not sure still . The website is policyexpert.co.uk which is genuine .i put the email address from the sender into google but it didn't show up anything .It's strange though as it hadmy full name on the email .not showing anything yet that gone in bank account
Leave the email ,then ring up policy expert in the morning to see if they can shed any light . They may have a hacking issue they are keeping quiet about . They are indeed a reputable Broker , so would want to know . You didn't by any chance use them last year and they are "auto renewing " ?
Edited by: "rogparki" 14th Dec 2017
Original Poster
rogparki10 m ago

Leave the email ,then ring up policy expert in the morning to see if they …Leave the email ,then ring up policy expert in the morning to see if they can shed any light . They may have a hacking issue they are keeping quiet about . They are indeed a reputable Broker , so would want to know . You didn't by any chance use them last year and they are "auto renewing " ?

yes I've not opened the policy on details from the email .and no not used them before .
have just emailed asking if they have any record of m
Just ignore and only act if money is taken from your account.. I had 2 today. 1 from apple about a game purchase and 1 from an Australian company with a invoice attached.. I don't have an apple account.. To be honest I check bank statements evey week but can't be bothered to keep looking. Would drive you mad that. Many scam emails get filtered out by Google and Hotmail. Some make it through though, so ignore. Visiting links and getting on phone can make the scam pay.. Just ignore the xxxxx
Edited by: "wayners" 14th Dec 2017
Could it be that your previous insurance company have been bought out by the company who sent the email and it is indeed a policy on auto renew?
JACKIT9955 m ago

Hi yeah I'm not sure still . The website is https://www.policyexpert.co.uk …Hi yeah I'm not sure still . The website is https://www.policyexpert.co.uk which is genuine .i put the email address from the sender into google but it didn't show up anything .It's strange though as it hadmy full name on the email .not showing anything yet that gone in bank account

Policy expert may be a genuine company but definitely not legit in terms of their business, I used to do telesales cold calling for them and they got banned from calling for a month and a massive fine because they ignored TPS and didn't scrub numbers that was registered with them, most soul destroying job ever target was 10 leads a day to put through for a quote but when trying to transfer the call the queue was sometimes 20 minutes, I could actually get the "customer" to accept a quote but lost most of them due to the delay so was only getting half target even though I was transferring 15-20 calls. At the end of the day though I was lucky to have a job even though it left me feeling like crap at the end of the day.
I've never seen a scam email without a spelling mistake.

It's almost like a gentleman's agreement that they have to put at least one in!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants