Fake SSD bought on ebay

Posted 18th Jan 2017
      Before you all start laughing - Yes I fell for a con. To be fair I was half asleep at the time, and didn't bother to check what the normal price was elsewhere.

Anyway, I unwittingly (inb4 someone says that's open to debate) purchased a Kingston 60gb SSD. It arrived very quickly, and once I'd installed it in my Computer with Windows 7 it was faster than my mechanical drive.

Read speeds are around 200 but write is around 70. Now, as I understand it it's the read speeds that are important with regards to stuff opening fast.

I've opened a return case with ebay and already printed of the labels so I can send it back...

...however my pc only has a sata2 interface, so even a genuine drive will only have a read speed of around 230 mb/s

Advice please...
      Community Updates
      Misc

Groups

58 Comments
      brilly

write speed is always crap on these drives - its the random writes that … write speed is always crap on these drives - its the random writes that you buy it for not sequentialdid you set it up as ahci?

Yes.

It doesn't really matter how I set it up tho - the thing I bought is a fake. It may work now, but in a week/month/year it may not

I can't accept this.

(don't worry... I'm not gonna have a nervous breakdown....yet!)

vultura

Does this help at all - … Does this help at all - https://www.kingston.com/en/support/product_verification

already checked that - hence the reason I'm convinced I bought a fake.
      BillySollox

already checked that - hence the reason I'm convinced I bought a fake.

I thought you might have, but posted it just in case.

Wonder if any of the tools listed here might help you check it a little more.
      you know it's going to be fake just by looking at the seller and the items he is selling
      vultura

I thought you might have, but posted it just in case.Wonder if any of the … I thought you might have, but posted it just in case.Wonder if any of the tools listed here might help you check it a little more.

tbh I'm starting to wonder if I'll be better off keeping the thing I have.

The genuine drive is only slightly faster with regards to read speeds. I only bought this drive for OS and the few programmes I use.

Maybe I should just keep it?

I don't want to, cos that means I've been mugged off. Yet, if I buy a genuine drive the read speads wont be much faster, and it will cost me more.

Sod it - it's time to ask a question: Stick or twist?
      Buy a hamster
      I wouldn't use it, and I imagine you can provide adequate information that it's a fake to the seller. It's said that eBay is too favourable to the buyer, in this case I'd do all what's possible to put pressure on the seller or report to eBay. Ultimately you can leave a negative feedback indicating to others that it's a fake.
      thewongwing101

Buy a hamster

29862192-eqfpr

Ashe

I wouldn't use it, and I imagine you can provide adequate information … I wouldn't use it, and I imagine you can provide adequate information that it's a fake to the seller. It's said that eBay is too favourable to the buyer, in this case I'd do all what's possible to put pressure on the seller or report to eBay. Ultimately you can leave a negative feedback indicating to others that it's a fake.

ebay has it's own forum.... peeps are blowing steam out of their ears cos the powers that be don't listen.
      ebay aren't interest in fakes - as long as the seller receives them then refunds are issued (with tracked delivery)
      Edited by: "BillySollox" 19th Jan 2017
      thewongwing101

Buy a hamster

Coming soon: Fake hamster bought on ebay
      You think it might be fake billy?
      deeky

You think it might be fake billy?

Hahaha!

I love you!

(sorry miles)

X)
      Did you try an h2 test? I did this many years back but there may be online programmes nowadays
      IWOOTN

Did you try an h2 test? I did this many years back but there may be … Did you try an h2 test? I did this many years back but there may be online programmes nowadays

h2test doesn't actually show anything - just that its got the capacity you expect or not
      does nothing to show its a fake if of the 'correct' capacity
      What is the manufacturer date?

Were the earlier drives slow anyhow?

"My pc may be old, but if my mech can write faster than a ssd then it proves it's a fake!"
      No it does not, sata2 may be saturated - get a sata3 card.
      Gort1951

What is the manufacturer date?Were the earlier drives slow anyhow?"My pc … What is the manufacturer date?Were the earlier drives slow anyhow?"My pc may be old, but if my mech can write faster than a ssd then it proves it's a fake!"No it does not, sata2 may be saturated - get a sata3 card.

sata2 isn't saturated at 70mb/s lol or even 200mb/s
      deeky

If the item is from UK can they insist on returning to China?

​This is not true.

If the seller has chosen the sale location as UK but shipped from china which many do, they have to buy law provide a UK return address.

Also, this item is counterfeit. Raise a paypal claim and they will ask you to fill a form to say you have destroyed the item and will refund you.

Anything faulty purchased from ebay UK or a seller with the location set as UK have to pay return costs to a UK address. Once it is in transit ring them and ask them to refund
      Post a comment
      @
        Text

Discussions

Top Merchants