Groups

false wedding cake fife/Edinburgh/Glasgow

I've been looking everywhere for a company that provides a real wedding cake, but all the tiers above it are false. I found one amazing company in Newcastle but they can't travel that far. Having false tiers is so much cheaper... and a full cake isn't really needed! Any company suggestions would be welcomed!

I hope that makes sense!

14 Comments

Any cake shop should do that for you if you explain that you want the effect of a tiered wedding cake but with dummies. They do look brilliant if done properly and with the bottom tier being cake no one needs to be any the wiser. I'd call round a few and see what they say.

Great idea, never heard of this before... hope you get sorted!

not sure if it'll help, but if you buy the cylinder polystyrene for the right size that you want the upper tiers, tell them just to put icing on to match the cake layer.....if they want your business for the cake its not hard to put icing on the rest

I posted and seems its not here now!

Professional baker here.
    Take a look around your local area for independent shops/suppliers.
    Wouldn't recommend buying your own cake dummies as they should be able to get them cheaper wholesale.
    Don't expect it to be drastically cheaper, it will still take someone the same amount of time, same quantity of sugarpaste/royal icing to decorate the tiers/assemble it.
    Edited by: "andrsnh" 1st Mar

The decoration is the costly part of cake-making so you won't save much. It I were you I'd consider a single tier on an elevated, decorated stand so you get the grand effect, but without the tiers.

Original Poster

newwave19

not sure if it'll help, but if you buy the cylinder polystyrene for the … not sure if it'll help, but if you buy the cylinder polystyrene for the right size that you want the upper tiers, tell them just to put icing on to match the cake layer.....if they want your business for the cake its not hard to put icing on the rest

Good idea! Will maybe try email a few local bakers and see what they say. Thank you

Original Poster

andrsnh

Professional baker here.Take a look around your local area for … Professional baker here.Take a look around your local area for independent shops/suppliers. Wouldn't recommend buying your own cake dummies as they should be able to get them cheaper wholesale.Don't expect it to be drastically cheaper, it will still take someone the same amount of time, same quantity of sugarpaste/royal icing to decorate the tiers/assemble it.

Hiya. Great to hear from a professional you make a good point! There are various places that have premade fake tiers to add to a matching real cake which is significantly cheaper... but I agree if they made it all from scratch it wouldn't be much less. I'll have a ponder and contact some bakers.. see what's what! Thanks for your help

Try Amys creative cakes glasgow bridgeton

You just watched big ft gypsy weddings last night X)

Just had a wee Google. Do you know you can hire a dummy wedding cake?

Original Poster

lindus

You just watched big ft gypsy weddings last night X)

Ooh no I didn't... but it is a guilty pleasure haha! Might have to hunt that one down. Nah I stumbled across that shop from Newcastle on Facebook, been hunting for a more local one ever since. Good enough for gypsy brides though... good enough for me

Original Poster

dereklogan7

Just had a wee Google. Do you know you can hire a dummy wedding cake?

Yeah I did see that! Can't remember why I shrugged it off... but might give it another go! Just seems a waste of money to be honest. Cheaper the better!

Original Poster

dawnybaybee

Try Amys creative cakes glasgow bridgeton

Ooh thanks. I'll give them a google
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***418
      2. love affairs1649
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      4. Important info for Ryanair customers1825