Family board game suggestions

Posted 14th Dec 2019
Every year i try to buy a board game for the family but this year I'm struggling, heres a list of the ones we already have -
Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, Logo Game, Speak Out, Scrabble, Articulate, Cluedo, Split Second, Pictureka (I’m sure we have a lot more but cant think)
My eldest is 19 and youngest is 12 so something to suit all please
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Try ticket to ride or pandemic. Both are great games and an introduction into more modern style board games which in general are much more fun (imo) than the traditional style ones you've mentioned. There are plenty of decent party games out there too. Sushi Go is great and simple, Codenames is great fun. There are loads more. If you look on the website boardgamegeek.com then there are categories with top 100 lists
37 Comments
You can't really go far wrong with a simple pack of cards
Wongy11014/12/2019 21:56

You can't really go far wrong with a simple pack of cards

Got plenty of cards
Try ticket to ride or pandemic. Both are great games and an introduction into more modern style board games which in general are much more fun (imo) than the traditional style ones you've mentioned. There are plenty of decent party games out there too. Sushi Go is great and simple, Codenames is great fun. There are loads more. If you look on the website boardgamegeek.com then there are categories with top 100 lists
jayhutton1014/12/2019 22:06

Try ticket to ride or pandemic. Both are great games and an introduction …Try ticket to ride or pandemic. Both are great games and an introduction into more modern style board games which in general are much more fun (imo) than the traditional style ones you've mentioned. There are plenty of decent party games out there too. Sushi Go is great and simple, Codenames is great fun. There are loads more. If you look on the website www.boardgamegeek.com then there are categories with top 100 lists

Fab,
Try a game called quest it’s good fun around Scotland
Codenames and Carcassonne are great options. I’m a big fan of Camel Up... here
Ludo
Game of Life
Uno

Just a normal pack of cards works wonders in our house - Gin / Blackjack / Crash

But our family all time fave is Monopoly .. We could spend a whole afternoon on one game
Shout and Tension are both good games.
arcangel11114/12/2019 22:33

Ludo Game of LifeUno Just a normal pack of cards works wonders in our …Ludo Game of LifeUno Just a normal pack of cards works wonders in our house - Gin / Blackjack / Crash But our family all time fave is Monopoly .. We could spend a whole afternoon on one game

Crash the game with 13 cards?
Don’t Panic or Outburst, both a bit similar in that you have to shout out answers in a particular category against a timer.
spyro12314/12/2019 22:38

Crash the game with 13 cards?

Yeah, I've been playing it for about 25 years .. love it
arcangel11114/12/2019 22:44

Yeah, I've been playing it for about 25 years .. love it

Oh so do I! No one I know knows this game. I used to play with my dad, good times.
Uckers - It's a Royal Navy board game.. like ludo - 4 player board game but better played with 2 people and Wo betide if you get 8 pieced .. your name went on the back of the board memorialzed forever!

39374145-pxips.jpg
Board was easy to make and the pieces were made from sawn off broom handles! (i'm not ex navy but I work with loads and yes my name has been placed on the back of our board a few times!)
spyro12314/12/2019 22:46

Oh so do I! No one I know knows this game. I used to play with my dad, …Oh so do I! No one I know knows this game. I used to play with my dad, good times.

Started playing it at college many moons ago! not hard to learn either
argos.co.uk/pro….ds

Rapidough! Pictionary but with Playdough. Great fun. If you fail to guess the word then your team loses some dough...eventually being left with a tiny amount to try and use
arcangel11114/12/2019 22:33

Ludo Game of LifeUno Just a normal pack of cards works wonders in our …Ludo Game of LifeUno Just a normal pack of cards works wonders in our house - Gin / Blackjack / Crash But our family all time fave is Monopoly .. We could spend a whole afternoon on one game

We have a wooden double sided Ludo and Snakes n ladders (bought from Woolworth years ago).... we love it.

Also good for everyone to have 20p of copper..... gets competitive
Cards against humanity - job done...
cideristhefuture14/12/2019 23:05

We have a wooden double sided Ludo and Snakes n ladders (bought from …We have a wooden double sided Ludo and Snakes n ladders (bought from Woolworth years ago).... we love it.Also good for everyone to have 20p of copper..... gets competitive

the MiL's kitchen drawer has about 10 bags of two's for when the family goes round and has a card game afternoon …
I have 2 step children who had never been introduced to "light gambling" they practically wet themselves with excitement when the bag of copper was produced.

They still love it now in their 20's.
That's a great MIL you have, we still play games as a family, but they have figured out now ..... as they are older...... not to let me do the banking for Monopoly
Edited by: "cideristhefuture" 14th Dec 2019
How about "Game of Life" - mine seem to love it
We have the Game of Life too .. my 2 are always rushing off to have kids.. or have the job that makes the most money..
cideristhefuture14/12/2019 23:26

I have 2 step children who had never been introduced to "light gambling" …I have 2 step children who had never been introduced to "light gambling" they practically wet themselves with excitement when the bag of copper was produced. They still love it now in their 20's. That's a great MIL you have, we still play games as a family, but they have figured out now ..... as they are older...... not to let me do the banking for Monopoly

1 for you 2 for me also not allowed to be banker
We enjoy playing Uno - the version with a machine that throws the cards into the air.
We do the same, we like these

Linked
Baker Street
Where in the world
Trivia pursuit family edition- young people get the chance to push the question to the other players, if they get it wrong then it’s the young person turn again or he wins a pie/cheese
Edited by: "RachyM" 15th Dec 2019
boardgamegeek.com/fam…ame

There are a few 2 player only games on that list but should be a good place to start
jayhutton1015/12/2019 07:26

https://boardgamegeek.com/familygames/browse/boardgameThere are a few 2 …https://boardgamegeek.com/familygames/browse/boardgameThere are a few 2 player only games on that list but should be a good place to start

I forgot about Santorini!

Under £15 at Amazon if you have Prime, or Bargain Max if you don't (£11.99 if you spend over £15).
Edited by: "zombiejack" 15th Dec 2019
zombiejack15/12/2019 08:13

I forgot about Santorini!Under £15 at Amazon if you have Prime, or Bargain …I forgot about Santorini!Under £15 at Amazon if you have Prime, or Bargain Max if you don't (£11.99 if you spend over £15).

Is there a 4 player variant? I can't remember from last time there was a deal
jayhutton1015/12/2019 08:43

Is there a 4 player variant? I can't remember from last time there was a …Is there a 4 player variant? I can't remember from last time there was a deal

I forgot it was only 3 player, too!
Cards Against Humanity... That'll create an atmosphere!
Ludo. Played with the kids last night. At first they didn't want to play but then didn't want it to end
Great suggestions guys, thank you. Some of which we already have which i forgot about so must go hunting for them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants